+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 4/1 Face Off 6: Episode 12

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

4/1 Face Off 6: Episode 12

I'm so disappointed in Daran this week. Their challenge was to create futuristic robots to perform the professions of humans. Many designers had never worked on robotics before but they tackled it with all their effort--except for Daran. He basically pulled a Roy, threw up his hands, and gave up.

While I liked Rashaad's design, I think he could have done even more with a firefighter. I think with so much technology in our world and the possibility of more in the future, fighting fires with waters might become passe. I would like to have seen him explore using wind power, dust or chemicals to extinguish fire. That way you could put out a fire without damaging expensive electrical equipment, and while conserving water.

Re: 4/1 Face Off 6: Episode 12

I think that Daran did himself in tonight. His cope out, I don't do robots, was telling of how he will work in the future. I knew he had to be the one eliminated. I was nervous when they put Niko in the bottom.
    ness likes this.
    There's no place like home!

pika . . .

ITA with you that, if something was out of his comfort zone, Roy would be the FIRST one going: "Uh-oh! I don't DO (fill in the blank)!"

Still, even WITH that, what I seem to recall about Roy is that he'd at LEAST try to put together SOMETHING appropriate. Even if the subject in question WAS out of his comfort zone.

Case in point, that FC they had in S3 where they had to do an extreme beauty makeup. I STILL chuckle when I think about Roy saying something to the effect of: "Uh-oh! Problem is, ALL my beauty makeups wind up looking like hookers!", when the challenge was first announced.

Well, he took a run at it, did his best, and wound up WINNING that, IIRC.

And that hideous snake woman with the bad wig and the hair going through the ears that he wound up getting sent home on during his first FO appearance in S3? Well, he wasn't thrilled with THAT challenge, either, IIRC.

And yep, he DID go home on it.

But, still, he TRIED. Even though he made some bad decisions and his piece tanked, in the end.

DARAN, OTOH, didn't even give a real, solid TRY in order to do what was asked of them, far as I could see. He started out by saying: "I don't DO robots!" And KEPT right on saying it. Up to, and INCLUDING on the Reveal Stage.

And ON the Reveal Stage . . .

First of all, he had the nerve to put that bad, Tinker-Toy-looking piece of crap OUT there (my SIX-YEAR-OLD COUSIN could've done better than that, BTW!). And it was PAINFULLY obvious that he hadn't put any real thought or good, hard work into it, overall. And secondly, he had the DOUBLE nerve to say directly TO the judges: "Definitely not my element. I don't make robots. I don't make robots, I'm sorry."

Which, I think, is why the judges got pissed and sent his ass packing. Ve said he wasn't interested in doing anything that HE wasn't comfortable doing, and Neville replied that THAT made him unemployable.

I could be wrong, but somehow, I don't EVER recall them saying anything like that about Roy.

Niko's was wonky, true enough. But, I BET if Daran'd buckled down and given it the old college try, it just MIGHT'VE been NIKO going home, instead of HIM.

Daran's arrogance got him shown the door, IMHO. How quickly he forgot that JUST LAST WEEK, he was in the BOTTOM due to that spectacularly fugly panoramic eye thingy that they didn't have a CLUE what it was, or was supposed to be REPRESENTING, when they looked at it!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, he was on my team.

And nope, I can't say I'm sorry he's gone.

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

And, BTW . . .

CONGRATULATIONS TO RASHAAD! HE FINALLY CRASHED THROUGH THAT GLASS CEILING AND WON A CHALLENGE!!!!!

I STILL have no clue who's going to be the last one standing, though!

Last edited by ness; 04-02-2014 at 12:27 AM.
    Kip and Duckyface like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I think that Daran did himself in tonight. His cope out, I don't do robots, was telling of how he will work in the future. I knew he had to be the one eliminated. I was nervous when they put Niko in the bottom.
    Me, too.

At LEAST Niko TRIED, damnit!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    (sniped out a lot about Roy's first run at the series)...

First of all, (Daran) had the nerve to put that bad, Tinker-Toy-looking piece of crap OUT there (my SIX-YEAR-OLD COUSIN could've done better than that, BTW!). And it was PAINFULLY obvious that he hadn't put any real thought or good, hard work into it, overall. And secondly, he had the DOUBLE nerve to say directly TO the judges: "Definitely not my element. I don't make robots. I don't make robots, I'm sorry."

Which, I think, is why the judges got pissed and sent his ass packing. Ve said he wasn't interested in doing anything that HE wasn't comfortable doing, and Neville replied that THAT made him unemployable.

I could be wrong, but somehow, I don't EVER recall them saying anything like that about Roy.
    Not that I recall actually - they did say that Roy was WAY overthinking stuff, such as the snake woman which got him eliminated, but they still said he had lots of good work.

And honestly, his worst is still better than this ... thing... that Daran produced.

I had to be TOLD that it was a photographer... and note, that's what I do for a living. That robot actually would be more cumbersome and difficult to use than the first digital camera I had to use (basically think of binoculars with one eye hole in the front and you've got an idea). It just was... bad.

Niko's was wonky, true enough. But, I BET if Daran'd buckled down and given it the old college try, it just MIGHT'VE been NIKO going home, instead of HIM.
    I have to admit I agreed with Ve here... yes Niko made some bad choices; however, he actually had a rather cute design. It was elements here and there that didn't quite work, such as the face.

His creative use on creating a hydraulic helped him as well, though overally his work was ill proportioned but better made than Daran's.

Daran's arrogance got him shown the door, IMHO. How quickly he forgot that JUST LAST WEEK, he was in the BOTTOM due to that spectacularly fugly panoramic eye thingy that they didn't have a CLUE what it was, or was supposed to be REPRESENTING, when they looked at it!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, he was on my team.

And nope, I can't say I'm sorry he's gone.

Good riddance to bad rubbish!
    He's also on most teams. The only contestant left that's on NO team is Niko, whom I feel unless George, Tyler or Rashaad rollover and play dead next week will be the next one eliminated. He's good, but the other three have had higher overall results and the fewest bottom two appearances.

And, BTW . . .

CONGRATULATIONS TO RASHAAD! HE FINALLY CRASHED THROUGH THAT GLASS CEILING AND WON A CHALLENGE!!!!!

I STILL have no clue who's going to be the last one standing, though!

Neither do I, but I would laugh if the one person who chose Tyler as their team captain gets to have the bragging rights to say that their choice won the season. I say that *if* that happens they should have some sort of special accolade as I think they're out of contention for the golden mask award. I say this because it takes some skill in the guessing games we play throughout the season on this show to be the only one to get it right.

As far as tonight... top three were right as the bottom three. No question, thought Daran has now received the dubious honor of being the second person (Megan of season 1 the first) of being told there is no question who was the bottom look and will be eliminated. I will give him this much though - he did at least create prosthetics, which Megan did not (she did beauty makeup without prosthetics in the disguise challenge - ironically in the final five challenge such as tonight).

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Daran had done some good work in the past (despite last week's fiasco), so I was disappointed in his attitude and his final product. At least it was an easy decision for the judges and one pretty much all viewers would agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Daran had done some good work in the past (despite last week's fiasco), so I was disappointed in his attitude and his final product. At least it was an easy decision for the judges and one pretty much all viewers would agree with.
    I guess what bothered me most about Daran's is that for a camera/photographer:

1. The face looked like it was using items from earlier eras (i.e. the flash cameras that used flash powder and such). Wouldn't be plausible for a robot to use items that would require the group itself standing still.

2. You would NOT have a giant whatever that was on his chest for lighting - you'd blind your subject (and no, I won't even start with the - as Glenn put it - codpiece except to say that it made ZERO sense), and

3. With TWO lenses on the face, there is a huge chance they'd all malfunction and cause problems, such as a Cross-eyed effect if both lenses were used for a shot and one was out of alignment. (I say this because I do have a lens that if I do not compensate for distance, it acts myopic and I have a blurred shot).

The design as a whole too doesn't read robot - unless you were from 1963 when Doctor Who first aired. Sheesh, even the Cybermen in the last Hartnell Episode (Tenth Planet) were better Half men/half robots then this makeup is, and they used basically big metal boxes, car lantern on top of their heads and fabric on the faces. The person inside too knew how to manipulate their mouth to create the illusion of robotics too.

Or in short, Daran REALLY had a bad makeup even compared to earlier times for a 'robot.'

A few more notes, based on looking at the photos they took of the makeups:

George's makeup - I love it and it's well done, but I think the reason he didn't win over Rashaad's is that George copped out waist down by doing a skirt. He only did a waist up makeup with the others attempted or did full head to toe makeups. I'm NOT saying it wasn't very well done, but I do think that he cost himself a chance at winning for that reason.

I think Niko's fits the theme of his robot (construction) as most items I see in construction are big and bulky (Caterpillar tractors for example). I think his problem was he had a tad too many rough edges (and not ones you could pass off as being wear and tear on the road).

Rashaad's still to me was clearly the winner.

Tyler's is well made but I just don't see the huge interest in the design honestly. the face creeps me a out a bit too.

In fact, I would've ranked the top three as Rashaad, George and Tyler this go.

I do love how this show continues to try new twists on designs and the like. Wish they weren't doing the theme they're doing next week, but ... they have said the simplest of things can mess with your mind in the competition. It's a good one for testing their endurance thinking.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 04-02-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Daran was definitely the right one to leave if for nothing else than his attitude. He presented himself so poorly to the judges who might be in a position to hire him.

I still think Nico is way past his expire date. While I love this show for the way the contestants are always ready to help each other, Nico is constantly asking for assistance. I'm hard pressed to think of anything he's done completely on his own.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Daran was definitely the right one to leave if for nothing else than his attitude. He presented himself so poorly to the judges who might be in a position to hire him.

I still think Nico is way past his expire date. While I love this show for the way the contestants are always ready to help each other, Nico is constantly asking for assistance. I'm hard pressed to think of anything he's done completely on his own.
    His anime was done by himself. He did - like everyone else, get help with removing his mold, but given those things are obviously heavy, I'm not upset with any of them helping each other pull molds apart.

Then again, the top of his anime's head was SO heavy in the clay I doubt anyone would want to try and help him lift it.

And Daran shot himself in the foot with the attitude, and sorry the "I don't do robots" doesn't work. I had someone custom order a fused glass robot face from me - something I never did before.

It took two tries (the first one melted into what honestly looked like a clown version of the face in "The Scream") but I did it and it looked good.

He's gone! He's gone! The jerk is gone!!!! Hooray!

I know a lot of people thought of Roy when watching Daran this episode but I didn't. In truth I thought of Sarah in Season 3 when they made cyborgs. Sarah had no idea what a cyborg was. Her first reaction? To try to make one anyway! She was a professional doing a job and while it failed, she did it! She didn't make any excuses! She said that this work was crap and she expected to go home.

Daran upon finding out he's going to be doing robots...decides to throw up his hands and whine "I don't do robots". Well boohoo. I kept wondering why we weren't seeing Daran much this episode and now I know, because he wasn't doing anything. Frankly I'd have been embarrassed to send that thing out there, but he was proud of it. Of what? The cluttered head? The bare arms? The giant Flava-Flav thing on the front?

That was bad. But his crowning jackass moment is when he gets up to the judges and says to them "I don't do robots" to explain why this sucks. That was so arrogant I'm amazed he thought he could get away with it. It was his way of saying "I'd have done fine, the challenge sucks." That for me is what got him sent home. Nico's was just average, that helped, but Daran was telling us that he is not going to listen to anyone. He is right and it's the challenge that's wrong. Good riddance.

As you might have guessed I don't like Daran.

Nico's robot did read construction worker to me, mostly because of the construction tape, the signal on the head and the size. A different week and it would have been safe. It wasn't bad, just meh. The face could have used some work and the edges were rough, but not terrible.

I liked Tyler's but it didn't really read surgery. It read more like a suit you put someone with broken bones into so they can still move.

I get what George was going for but his was a little weird. I liked the head and the colors. I really liked the shape of the head.

Rashaad's was awesome and I'm glad he won.
    The Moral Of Big Brother 11: If you don't play nice, Chima will pay you a visit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast