+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 4/1 Face Off 6: Episode 12

Re: 4/1 Face Off 6: Episode 12

Like I said, I don't mind ironic statements; however, I do agree that they are telegraphing the winner/loser of the episode a bit too much each episode.

The article was indeed interesting especially one point McKenzie makes about drama and the rest of the season. I do have to laugh about her drama quotes given she played Sheridan Crane in "Passions" and was one of the more melodramatic characters (the character - SHE played Sheridan well).

If it's tweaked a bit I think it'll be even stronger, but it's the balance they have to work on in order to succeed in making this one of the most entertaining reality shows out there.

No ego and no drama, that's fine with me.

The ego is fun when the ego maniac goes home but most of the time the drama creator just gets on your nerves. Like Autumn in S4 or Jerry in S2. When they finally go home you'll be so happy you'll throw out confetti.

As for the foreshadowing, I like it! I know I'm in the minority and I know this show is very heavy handed with foreshadowing. But it's fun, it gives this show a kind of cheesy awesomeness. It's so routine with the foreshadowing I can guess who goes home each week just from the before episode preview.
    The Moral Of Big Brother 11: If you don't play nice, Chima will pay you a visit.

I agree with you, ness. There are so few reality shows I watch at all anymore just because of casting, and emphasis on drama that interests me not at all. Mostly I fast forward through the ones I do watch and/or read the boards here to keep up with what's going on in the world of television. I've always appreciated that Face Off tones down the drama coverage.

I really dislike the foreshadowing to create suspense. It never works, makes the shows far less interesting, and confirms that show runners believe that viewers can't think.

I think McKenzie is among the best of the show hosts and I think she's the best dressed of all of them I'm always eager to see what she's wearing and she doesn't disappoint me. I don't remember her great grandfather, but I do remember her grandfather and great uncles. One of them was credited in almost every movies made in Hollywood's Golden Age.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I think McKenzie is among the best of the show hosts and I think she's the best dressed of all of them I'm always eager to see what she's wearing and she doesn't disappoint me. I don't remember her great grandfather, but I do remember her grandfather and great uncles. One of them was credited in almost every movies made in Hollywood's Golden Age.
    Yes, McKenzie is by far a very classy dressed lady on the show. She also can wear many of the makeups they've put her in over the years well too. That said on the makeups - I REALLY wish they'd swap them out with a new one - I'm tired of the blue alien makeup used in the opening credits. Why NOT her favorite one, the Medusa one (with animated headdress)? That was a truly STUNNING makeup - it's one of her favorites as well. I also liked the ice queen one as well.

Oh and I think it speaks volumes for this show that people are doing research on the Westmores now to learn more about the history of their role in makeup in movies. It's got people interested in the industry again, and not just for the actors. I am glad Mr. Westmore is actually having people want to have photos taken with him and his autograph - he has created some great makeups over the years, so he's deserving of these accolades. In my honest opinion, he should enjoy every minute of it.

srgeman . . .

Heck YEAH, it's fun and COMPLETELY enjoyable when the resident $#!+-stirrer goes home on a show!

Problem IS, these shows, by and large, have SUCH a thing for keeping the troublemakers around to stir the pot! And I've GOT to figure that SOMEBODY out there must be getting off on that sort of thing, watching and cheering on whoever the particular idiot happens to be. If not, then why's keeping a troublemaker around SUCH a reality-TV staple??

Me, personally? I can do WITHOUT it.

Jerry, S2? Oh, BROTHER! Mr. "He Who Has Been an SFX Makeup Artist for 20-Some-Odd Years"? Mr. "Stab His Artist in the Back in the Finale by Throwing Shade on Him to Another Competing Finale Artist"?

Please.

Interesting, but I don't seem to recall hearing/seeing anything out of or ABOUT dear old Jerry since his appearance on Face Off.

Gee. Wonder WHY????????

Autumn?

After that little finale stunt that Jerry pulled, I STILL think it's not out of the realm of possibility that she (and probably Z, too, just to keep things on an even playing field) were pulled aside and read the riot act BEFORE either of 'em got into the lab, just so Anthony had the best chance he could possibly have at winning, without her/his/their drama sabotaging things for him.

Flo and jade . . .

ITA that McKenzie rocks it in the wardrobe dept. Also, I really DO like her as hostess. Some don't. Sure, a lot of her stuff is repetitive. But then again, that's the way the show is set up --- pretty much by rote --- and usually goes. She doesn't have a whole lot of room to improvise or rewrite what she'll say each week. I think she does completely fine with what she's able to work with.

I, too, had to chuckle at Mr. Westmore wondering if he needed to carry 8x10s in his car, and not being used to being recognized on the street and asked for autographs and pics.

As a longtime old movie fan, I've been aware of the Westmores for YEARS. LOVED their work, and still DO!

It really makes me SMH when Mr. Westmore comes into the lab and gives clear advice to a contestant, only to have that contestant ignore his advice (for WHATEVER reason!), and more often than not get sent HOME for it later on. Makes me wonder exactly WHY these guys and gals think he's their mentor in the FIRST place.

Just ONE recent case in point from THIS season?

CAT.

I DO SMH, too, and wonder if and WHY most/some/none of these people apparently never even bothered to try to Google and find out info on how their chosen profession came into existence in Hollywood, in the FIRST place. Of COURSE, things have really drastically changed in the field since George Westmore got the ball rolling way back in 1917. But, I HAVE to wonder WHY some of these people actually seem to think, feel and believe that they know more/better than a master of their craft who's been doing what he's doing for, say, the last 50-some-odd years, or so?

That REALLY makes me SMH, about some of these folks!

Not real bright, a lot of 'em!

And, to me, when an artist gets booted for ignoring Mr. Westmore's advice, that just proves what McKenzie said:

"Ego will seal your doom."

LOL!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Oh, yeah, BTW . . .

Didn't recall seeing this mentioned anywhere, here on the board, so if it HAS been, please accept my apologies and feel free to ignore/delete this . . .

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-tv/...174937993.html

Whoohoo!

CONGRATS TO 'EM!!!!!!!!!!

Funny, the things you can cook up in a lab, isn't it?

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Congratulations, indeed! It must be that sexy French accent.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Methinks "Oui! Oui!"

TEE HEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flo and jade . . .

ITA that McKenzie rocks it in the wardrobe dept. Also, I really DO like her as hostess. Some don't. Sure, a lot of her stuff is repetitive. But then again, that's the way the show is set up --- pretty much by rote --- and usually goes. She doesn't have a whole lot of room to improvise or rewrite what she'll say each week. I think she does completely fine with what she's able to work with.

I, too, had to chuckle at Mr. Westmore wondering if he needed to carry 8x10s in his car, and not being used to being recognized on the street and asked for autographs and pics.
    What I miss - and what made her less repetitive, is the conferring with the judges/her dad about the designers and giving essentially PI's about what's going on and their opinion of the makeup from the start. I don't know if they stopped because of her father's wishes or because it was too difficult to edit into the show, but I think it really helped reduce this monotony. Still - for being repetitive, she does keep it interesting.

And - something I thought about regarding Mr. Westmore and his increased popularity - I had worked at an outdoor theater production that allowed folks to get autographs of the cast. One guy came up to me and wanted me to autograph it. I commented I was just one of the hospitality staff, but he said "I still want it - you never know one day you may be famous and I'll be able to say 'I knew her when.'" So, you never know - what you do in yesteryear may be something folks remember with fondness and such many years later.

As a longtime old movie fan, I've been aware of the Westmores for YEARS. LOVED their work, and still DO!

It really makes me SMH when Mr. Westmore comes into the lab and gives clear advice to a contestant, only to have that contestant ignore his advice (for WHATEVER reason!), and more often than not get sent HOME for it later on. Makes me wonder exactly WHY these guys and gals think he's their mentor in the FIRST place.

Just ONE recent case in point from THIS season?

CAT.

I DO SMH, too, and wonder if and WHY most/some/none of these people apparently never even bothered to try to Google and find out info on how their chosen profession came into existence in Hollywood, in the FIRST place. Of COURSE, things have really drastically changed in the field since George Westmore got the ball rolling way back in 1917. But, I HAVE to wonder WHY some of these people actually seem to think, feel and believe that they know more/better than a master of their craft who's been doing what he's doing for, say, the last 50-some-odd years, or so?

That REALLY makes me SMH, about some of these folks!

Not real bright, a lot of 'em!

And, to me, when an artist gets booted for ignoring Mr. Westmore's advice, that just proves what McKenzie said:

"Ego will seal your doom."

LOL!
    Easy - they think they know better because in some cases they were taught that way - that elders are not wiser, they're stupider as the years progress.

Personally, if I had a prestigious makeup designer such as Mr. Westmore (or anyone of that level, including Glenn, Ve, Patrick, etc.) I'd listen to them and at least TRY to take their advice. The rare RARE exception I'd do is if I know that the makeup is 100 percent correct and the critiques are more tiny aesthetic things that are easy to fix with a little paint here and there. But... the odds of that are like the odds of someone hitting the moon with a slingshot.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Personally, if I had a prestigious makeup designer such as Mr. Westmore (or anyone of that level, including Glenn, Ve, Patrick, etc.) I'd listen to them and at least TRY to take their advice. The rare RARE exception I'd do is if I know that the makeup is 100 percent correct and the critiques are more tiny aesthetic things that are easy to fix with a little paint here and there. But... the odds of that are like the odds of someone hitting the moon with a slingshot.
    You'd...listen!? That's a crazy idea! Not listening to the critiques is something I noticed for a long time. Do you want to know the first time I remember someone listening to the day two critique? Alanna from s3. On the challenge she won because she chose to listen to the critiques and fix her problems.

This I doubt will change with some people.
    The Moral Of Big Brother 11: If you don't play nice, Chima will pay you a visit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast