+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 4/1 Face Off 6: Episode 12

Re: 4/1 Face Off 6: Episode 12

Thoughts, opinions, observations . . .

Yep, I recall --- like jade said --- that Roy WAS told that he was over-thinking things. And he WAS. Roy --- IMHO --- was coming from the: "Big, Bigger, BIGGEST! Nobody's EVER seen THIS, before!" fabrication/makeup school of thought.

And, at times, he didn't do himself any favors with THAT mindset, either.

However, UNLIKE Our Hero Daran, Roy NEVER came across/read to me as: "I don't DO _________________, so I'ma throw whatever I can piece together out there, and y'all can DEAL with it!"

THAT was/is the BIG difference between the two of them, I think.

ATTITUDE.

Roy had a GOOD one, in that he at least TRIED, EVERY time. Daran, OTOH, DIDN'T.

Like, Flo, I DO think that Niko is WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY past his expiration date. He IS a decent-enough artist. But I also agree with her that Niko has gotten on my LAST good nerve ALWAYS seeming to need SOME kind of assistance with his projects, MOST --- if not ALL! --- of the time. THAT'S what drove me so crazy with Miranda in S5, and WHY I wasn't mad at Roy when he told Tate to stop helping out.

And I'm all FOR the guys and gals helping each other out, actually.

Just NOT basically carrying/babying each other through pretty much EVERY challenge.

Matter of fact, THIS season, in terms of covering behinds and having each other's backs, if Rashaad hadn't had Niko's back, covered his behind and warned him about the glued-together (?) joints on that construction worker, it could very well've been NIKO going home.

And we'd've been stuck with Daran's arrogant ass for yet another week.

And even though he didn't owe Niko ANYTHING, and didn't HAVE to do it, I ain't mad at Rashaad for pulling Niko's coat about gluing those joints together (?), either. I LIKED seeing him help Niko like that.

TRUST me.

If he HADN'T, they might well've wound up doing an out-of-the blue, DOUBLE elim.

MAYBE.

Who knows?

But it DOES seem to me that Niko has been carried/helped an AWFUL lot by his castmates, this season, too.

George's? Overall, I liked it. I, too, wished he'd done a robotic bottom, instead of a skirt. But, then again, this WAS a female hairdresser, so a skirt, technically, WASN'T out of place, or out of the realm of possibility for her to've had on. And, perhaps, maybe it was just too much for George's back to've tried to take it that far in constructing a robotic bottom, feet and legs for her.

At LEAST he had the sense to listen to Mr. Westmore and 86 the double-boobie hairdryers!

Tyler's? Generally and overall, I liked IT, too! But I DO agree with srgeman that it didn't IMMEDIATELY read "surgeon" to me.

Still, he deserved to stay.

Yeah, Niko's was wonky. But, there WAS a certain cuteness about it, truth be told. And he DEFINITELY deserved to stay, over Daran.

And --- Thank GOODNESS! --- that's ultimately what wound up happening!

JMHO.

P.S.:

Rashaad?

Last edited by ness; 04-02-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    Florimel likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Thoughts, opinions, observations . . .

Yep, I recall --- like jade said --- that Roy WAS told that he was over-thinking things. And he WAS. Roy --- IMHO --- was coming from the: "Big, Bigger, BIGGEST! Nobody's EVER seen THIS, before!" fabrication/makeup school of thought.

And, at times, he didn't do himself any favors with THAT mindset, either.

However, UNLIKE Our Hero Daran, Roy NEVER came across/read to me as: "I don't DO _________________, so I'ma throw whatever I can piece together out there, and y'all can DEAL with it!"

THAT was/is the BIG difference between the two of them, I think.

ATTITUDE.

Roy had a GOOD one, in that he at least TRIED, EVERY time. Daran, OTOH, DIDN'T.
    At least with Roy when he failed he failed spectacularly and when he succeeded he flew high.

Cases in point:

Flying high - the midgets stuck in the "kids pretending to be a tall man" for eternity makeup. His trying on the prosthetics too is still one of my favorite moments of all time. '

Crashing spectacularly - the makeup that eliminated him and gave us one of the most controversial wins with Nicole advancing instead - a previously eliminated contestant, to win the season. And all for using a hideous wig and stuffing part of it through earholes (though I still disagree with Glenn that it's impossible to get hair stuck through earholes - I've had it happen at least once.

Daran? - honestly the only really memorable makeup I remember him doing this season for GOOD reasons was the Anime one and even then it wasn't a true anime type character. Chloe (?) I think had the better makeup with the Halloween girl. The others were forgettable or bad, such as this week's. (and yes, I'm saying that as one of the most of us choosing him as a designer for our teams ).

Like, Flo, I DO think that Niko is WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY past his expiration date. He IS a decent-enough artist. But I also agree with her that Niko has gotten on my LAST good nerve ALWAYS seeming to need SOME kind of assistance with his projects, MOST --- if not ALL! --- of the time. THAT'S what drove me so crazy with Miranda in S5, and WHY I wasn't mad at Roy when he told Tate to stop helping out.

And I'm all FOR the guys and gals helping each other out, actually.

Just NOT basically carrying/babying each other through pretty much EVERY challenge.

Matter of fact, THIS season, in terms of covering behinds and having each other's backs, if Rashaad hadn't had Niko's back, covered his behind and warned him about the glued-together (?) joints on that construction worker, it could very well've been NIKO going home.

And we'd've been stuck with Daran's arrogant ass for yet another week.
    It's for this bolded reason alone I don't mind Niko getting help with the joints and such. I do think however it's a bit harsh to compare him to Miranda - even with some help, he did at least get completed makeups to the stage. I don't recall him putting out a mostly unpainted piece on stage like Miranda did. She was only saved because of Laney quitting - though sadly I think they'd still eliminated Roy because his didn't look troll.

And even though he didn't owe Niko ANYTHING, and didn't HAVE to do it, I ain't mad at Rashaad for pulling Niko's coat about gluing those joints together (?), either. I LIKED seeing him help Niko like that.

TRUST me.

If he HADN'T, they might well've wound up doing an out-of-the blue, DOUBLE elim.

MAYBE.

Who knows?

But it DOES seem to me that Niko has been carried/helped an AWFUL lot by his castmates, this season, too.
    Doubt a double elimination - that would mean that we'd have a second non-elimination week. It's also not any fun for the judges or the contestants to just do a week where it's show and tell ... so... the only way they'd been able to make it work would be to have a week challenge that gave the remaining three an advantage if they won.

Then we'd probably have a lively discussion about is that fair or not for the finale.

George's? Overall, I liked it. I, too, wished he'd done a robotic bottom, instead of a skirt. But, then again, this WAS a female hairdresser, so a skirt, technically, WASN'T out of place, or out of the realm of possibility for her to've had on. And, perhaps, maybe it was just too much for George's back to've tried to take it that far in constructing a robotic bottom, feet and legs for her.

At LEAST he had the sense to listen to Mr. Westmore and 86 the double-boobie hairdryers!
    Here's my suggestion - he could've done some sort of long METAL looking daggers or rectangles with metal coloring to make the skirt metallic and be able to put it along the waist. (What I'm going with is reminiscent of what Deidre wore in "Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog" as far as her armor.) It would've looked more robot like without needing to do pants or full body makeup.

Tyler's? Generally and overall, I liked IT, too! But I DO agree with srgeman that it didn't IMMEDIATELY read "surgeon" to me.

Still, he deserved to stay.
    I personally didn't like the fact the scalpels were coming out of the chest that long... a little too creepy for my liking.

The rest of it I totally agree with Ness. Niko did earn his final four spot given what we saw from Daran. I will concede that we should give Daran *some* credit in that he didn't flat out walk off the show... BUT he did give up and his attitude showed it.

I'd rather a positive attitude overall even if the end result was bad (and admitting it like Roy and a few others have done in previous seasons), than a bad attitude and excusing your bad work by saying "I don't do robots."

jade . . .

Your point about the Miranda/Niko comparison?

A GOOD one, and fair enough, I'd say. Honestly, reflecting back on it now, I cannot BELIEVE --- with all the help she received from the guys! --- the UNCOMPLETED HOT MESSES SHE STILL SENT OUT ON THAT STAGE!

Nope, I STILL side with Roy and don't blame him --- in that instance --- for counseling/advising Tate to put the brakes on helping (Miranda) so much. And yep, Tate --- being the good guy that he is --- STILL broke down, jumped in and saved her behind, as much as he could.

But, having said that, again, good point on your part, and fair enough!

And yep, I also agree with you on Roy's high and low makeup points in his appearances on the show! Just THINKING about those deceased, drunken brothers he came up with can STILL make me crack up! And as for the snake woman? Oh, well. That one spoke for itself, I guess.

And nope, I DIDN'T care for Daran's anime makeup, either. And I DID think that Corinne had the better one, with the blonde hair and the pumpkin sitting in the middle of that 60s-looking flip.

Was THAT the one you were referring to? I think maybe it was, and I liked that much better than Daran's!

Nah, I absolutely did NOT mind Rashaad stepping in and turning the lights on in the dark room for Niko with his makeup. While I DO think that Niko did, and HAS, consistently and noticeably gotten quite a lot of help with his stuff from the others, that was a very kind, thoughtful thing for Rashaad to do for him. It's obvious that until Rashaad pointed it out and made it CRYSTAL CLEAR, Niko --- even though he was working on it! --- did not have a CLUE how he was about to step in it and smear it around, BIG time. And yes, I ALSO agree that in doing so, Rashaad not only pulled Niko's bacon off the fire before it burned completely up, but he also saved US, as well, from having to deal with Daran for at least one more week (or possibly MORE than that!).

Also, I think Niko's almost painting himself into a corner with the joints is a clear testament regarding how insane these challenges must be, for these artists. The very fact that he was working so hard on something and was about to MAJORLY mess up on it, and STILL be unable to see what he was doing to himself just lets me know that getting to that 100K and car ain't as "easy" as it might sometimes seem.

Double elim?

That was a purely rhetorical, smart-ass suggestion, on my part. Even though it obviously didn't come across that way, given how it was written, I'll admit.

LOVE your suggestions re George's costuming! In my mind's eye, I can see that, and I think it would've ROCKED.

Good point about the scalpels on Tyler's too. In a way, his kind of reminded me of those white-clad storm troopers (or WHATEVER they're called!) from Star Wars. I didn't get a "surgeon"" read off his, at ALL, even though I DID like it, overall and for the most part.

And, whether or not I WANT to acknowledge this --- and frankly, no, I DON'T! --- I DO have to give Daran at least a quarter of a Brownie point for not turning tail and running or quitting, a la Joe and Laney.

So, all in all, I believe we're pretty much simpatico and on the same page in this!!!!!!!!!!

What is everybody ELSE thinking?
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Yes, I was referring to Corrine's makeup with the '60s flip and the pumpkins and such. Thank you.

And to clarify - I had no problems with Roy telling Miranda to stand up for herself. It was time for her to put up or shush up by then. Tate just is a kind-hearted guy just like Roy is so it had to be hard for him to say "no" and Tate just was surprised he did.

Anyone winning Face Off (and from what I'm seeing on the creature shop competition) earns it IMHO.

I forgot about Joe, and wish you didn't remind me. That guy was just... seriously... I can't begin to describe what I think of him because it makes no sense what he did. I guess with him I'll say a waste of a spot to be nice. Tommy had his issues (and they were huge) but I did feel sorry for him that challenge and at least he like others we've mentioned had the heart to push through and at least try, even if he did fail on many things (such as his rabbit from the Zombiefied "Alice in Wonderland.")

And the double elimination - I had a feeling it might be smart-alec, but at the same time... even I seriously considered why didn't they think of doing that and give the final three either two weeks for their final looks or do a fun challenge to blow off steam or something? Maybe their own take on the Capitolites of "The Hunger Games" and have Ve laugh or something.

Not at all sad to see Daran exit. He always came across to me as a bit arrogant & certainly proved he had issues working with others. His "I don't do robots" stance not only hurt him with the judges, but shone a not to pretty light on him as a resume line item.

I agree with everything said about Daran.

There wasn't much wondering who was going to win or who was going to lose. It was telegraphed through the whole episode, with Rashad telling us at least 6 times how he had to win one, and this played to fabricating stuff which is his strong suit, and Daran saying he didn't do robots and doing almost nothing.

After about the 4th time Rashad said "I have to win this one" my husband and I turned to each other and said "I wonder who's going to win!"
    Not that he didn't deserve it, he did.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Yeah, I wish reality shows would cut it out with the foreshadowing. I"d rather not know ahead of time what's going to happen, or at least be given a chance to figure it out on my own. I guess they think they're being dramatic and ironic by staging it so the person who's going home says they feel completely safe or the person who wins the challenge says beforehand they have to win or they're in big trouble. I don't appreciate the drama or the irony if it reveals everything that's going to transpire.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Yeah, I wish reality shows would cut it out with the foreshadowing. I"d rather not know ahead of time what's going to happen, or at least be given a chance to figure it out on my own. I guess they think they're being dramatic and ironic by staging it so the person who's going home says they feel completely safe or the person who wins the challenge says beforehand they have to win or they're in big trouble. I don't appreciate the drama or the irony if it reveals everything that's going to transpire.
    Rashaad's had a few private interviews saying he hadn't won a challenge - just always safe, before Tuesday's episode.

And some cases, such as if Daran said he's safe and he was eliminated... that was wonderfully ironic and used well.

But to be fair - I really only watch for the makeup not commentary on this show. Other shows though it's more about the drama not the work... which is probably another reason why I like this show.

Will concede though they need to work on their editing as far as "I'm (really not) safe" stuff.

And Razorbacker I agree - Daran hurt his essentially public resume here saying "I don't do robots." Does he not get that unlike a lot of shows this one actually has folks working on REAL movies and not just independents? It certainly isn't Project Runway where most aren't taken seriously and the few who are have started to lose their credibility (Mondo) ...
    Duckyface likes this.

I'm with you Jade! I appreciate this show doesn't have all the stupid drama that so many other reality shows have *cough, project runway I'm looking at you, cough* The contestants are almost always helpful and supportive of each other. The editing mostly concentrates on the creation process too which I appreciate. I just felt this particular show was a bit badly edited and went a bit overboard with the Rashad saying he had to win this one so many times.

LOL!

It seems that all of us, as a group, are on the same page regarding appreciating Face Off even more as a "reality" show that DOESN'T go to Drama City every week.

Check this out:

McKenzie Westmore Previews the Return of Face Off - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

I HAD to SMH and at McKenzie's comments re ego and artistry and the NOT shown behind-the-scenes Face Off drama.

I'm not TOTALLY stupid; I put two and two together a LOOOONNNG time ago. I figured there HAD to be at least ONE somebody in the cast each season that was acting a fool and acting up outside of the lab every week.

NO group of people --- related by blood, even! --- holds hands, sways in unison and sings a rousing rendition of "Cumbaya" 24/7/365, after all.

That does NOT happen!

BUT . . .

To chime in with everybody else: I can do WITHOUT the backstage contestant histrionics. I DO appreciate the focus of the show on the makeups, rather than who's got it in for whom. Who's insecure and throwing shade at home, but can't back it up in the lab and/or on the Reveal Stage, etc.

The backstage drama NOT being a Face Off factor is one of the MAIN reasons this show has moved to the head of the class as one of the extremely few shows (like, one or two) that I absolutely will not go a week without seeing. Even if I miss the first run show on the night it airs and have to catch it on DVR later on in the week, for some reason.

Far as artistic ego goes?

Daran MORE than proved THAT with his "I don't DO robots!" shtick, this week. Others have, too (Autumn, anybody? ).

Like pika, though, I DO wish TPTB would STOP --- or at least DRASTICALLY cut down on! --- the foreshadowing.

Like the backstage drama, I really don't believe Face Off needs it!

Thoughts? Opinions?
    Last edited by ness; 04-03-2014 at 10:27 PM.
    mom2, Florimel and Duckyface like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast