+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By razorbacker
  • 2 Post By ness
  • 1 Post By razorbacker

Thread: 11/12: "Top 20 Countdown"

11/12: "Top 20 Countdown"

New episode tonight, where the judges talk about their favorite creations from the first five seasons.

Re: 11/12: "Top 20 Countdown"

Guess I'll have to check it out on SyFy's web site. I know one thing though - they HAD to have a tough time narrowing it down to 20 though.

They'll probably repeat it throughout the week, too.

It was fun revisiting some of the challenges, and it was great to hear the judges commentary for each of the 20 MUs. And they provided a little bit of background info on each MU, too, including a little bit of commentary from the artist.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I was disappointed that Tate's swan didn't make it into the top 20. I know his sorceror wasn't that great but his swan was easily one of the best makeups I've seen on the show. I liked it better than his pumpkin person that was #1 on the countdown.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

What happened to Anthony's Black Light presentation?
    ness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    What happened to Anthony's Black Light presentation?
    I wondered that, too, 'cause that Black Light MU of Anthony's (S4) ROCKED.

And, like pika, I liked Tate's swan (when she was still and posed) better than his and Miranda's Pumpkin Eater's wife (#1) whether she was still, OR moving. His pumpkin person was off the chain, but it SERIOUSLY creeped me out. Sure, I guess it was SUPPOSED to do that, but I still prefer his swan over his and Miranda's pumpkin.

As for the top two, yep, I'd flip 'em. Alam and Anthony's (S4) Ice Demon (#2) still rules, to me.

Other thoughts, ramblings, and musings . . .

To me, it was worth the WHOLE show to see Glenn lose it when Roy's ghost brothers started moving. I started laughing even HARDER when he tried to play his crack-up off as nothing, non-existent, in fact. Then Neville stepped up and COMPLETELY called him out on it in front of God and everybody and said Glenn'd been laughing so hard, he'd been crying like a girl!

And Roy's ghost brothers/"Laughing Dead" creation ABSOLUTELY deserved the "Funniest Ever FO MU".

I am SO glad they unearthed that previously-unexposed (IIRC) FO moment!

I am also glad to've seen MUs I missed from S1:

I thought Conor and Joe's alien (#19) was beautiful. Anthony's burned-wood, body-paint creation (#9) knocked me clear into the middle of next week! And I thought Conor's Frog Prince (#7) and zombie (#4) were to DIE for.

The Tim Burton challenge from S2 was well-represented, what with RJ (#13, the bellhop), Rayce (#3, the enchanted cellist) and Matt (#8, the ice cream guy) all receiving kudos and nods for their work. I loved the cellist and ice cream man, but RJ's bellhop is still my fave from that challenge, though.

Making lemonade out of lemons was shown through Tara and Matt's waterproof MU (#12, from S2; they hid the awful edges with iridescent fabric) and Ian's saving his bat alien in S2 when almost everything that COULD apparently go wrong with that MU during its creation, DID (#16).

He wound up WINNING that challenge with that beat-up bat!

Which was as it SHOULD'VE been, I think.

The "Star Wars Cantina" challenge from S3 boasted a couple of judges' selections for T20 MUs. Laura and Sarah's beautiful bounty hunter (#11), and Rod and Roy's itty-bitty alien that got around inside a big robot exoskeleton (#15). These two were (deservedly) the top looks for that particular challenge, and the Rs wound up taking top spot.

Nicole (S3) . . .

I STILL don't think that she, or ANY of the others who'd been booted up to that point, should've been allowed to come back for a chance to re-enter the competition during their current season. Having said that, her "Day of the Dead" "Best FC Makeup" nod WAS beautiful and DID deserve that designation.

Nicole's junkyard cyborg (#17) was also gorgeous and totally deserved that challenge win, and a judges' T20 placement.

Roy (S3/S5) . . .

No, he didn't pull off a win in ether season, but he DEFINITELY didn't do too badly for himself in the judges' estimation, it seems.

In addition to receiving Honorable Mention for having the "Funniest Ever FO MU" (S5), and a #15 judges' ranking for his and Rod's Star Wars alien-with-robot-exoskeleton (S3), Roy also garnered the #18 judges' T20 spot for his virus-infected zombie Red Queen from S3.

I ADORED that Queen!

A virus-infected zombie never looked so creepy, or so good!

Roy won that challenge, as well he should've.

And this was also the challenge that Nicole got booted out on because of her White Rabbit.

Laura (S3/S5) . . .

Of COURSE, she's no slouch, either!

Sure, Laura came second with Sarah in the Star Wars challenge (S3) and earned a judges' T20 nod (#11) for that beautiful MU. She also got another judges' T20 nod (#20) for that amazing, work-of-art red/blue cubism MU/fabrication she did during S5.

And we haven't heard the last of Laura in the T20, yet, because . . .

Far as winners' Finale MUs go:

Conor's S1 Frog Prince and Witch (#7) were WONDERFUL. I really loved Anthony's Sinister "Le Reve" MUs (#5), which were obviously a clear pairing of characters and CLEARLY ahead of his competitors' S4 offerings, because of that.

And, finally . . .

Laura's Swan and Sorcerer MUs (#6) from S5 were ahead of HER competitors', too, even though my nitpicks about hers remain. Nitpicks aside, I still feel that she was the one who deserved the win, based on what she produced for the Finale.

Odds and ends:

Other ranked MUs . . .

#14: Tommy and Derek's Monkey/Ox Chinese Dragon, S3. Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL work. LOVED everything about this . . . The colors and the design worked great together and were FABULOUS. Derek's tattooing knowledge served them well, in this challenge. And the whole thing stood up to a rip-roaring performance, too!

#10: Rayce and Ian's Cowardly Lion from the "Oz" challenge. REALLY liked this. The emaciated, gray lion made all kinds of sense. The mane screamed "lion" of course, but was actually beat up, scruffy, and looked like it'd been through the wringer. So it wound up working well overall and as a whole with the look they were going for. Also, as was pointed out by the judges (IIRC), how they managed to create a chest/body piece that went over a well-fed individual but ended up realistically looking like a starving, broken-down lion torso was TOTALLY genius.

Other Honorable Mentions . . .

"Longest Makeup Description EVER" - Sergio, S1, the Body Painting Challenge.

I STILL don't believe this.

I suppose he was thinking he'd talk himself into a win?

Well, NEWSFLASH, Sergio!

It didn't work.

"LARGEST Makeup Ever" - Fox and Kris, S4, the "Two Heads Are Better Than One", challenge.

Please don't tell me anybody's SURPRISED by this????

THOUGHT not.

I enjoyed this show, and I'm glad they did it.

Too bad they didn't do a "Top 25", instead of just a "Top 20", though, but I guess you can't have EVERYTHING.

Now, it's on to "Naked and Painted" next week!
    Last edited by ness; 11-13-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    razorbacker and TripleGemini like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I enjoyed seeing things from the seasons I missed. That wooden body paint thing was unbelievable. (Is anyone watching Naked Vegas). I think the Top 20 was short on Anthony though. He dominated his season & won the first 4 challenges right out of the box. But, I realize the show only had an hour, so something had to give.
    ness likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I enjoyed seeing things from the seasons I missed. That wooden body paint thing was unbelievable. (Is anyone watching Naked Vegas). I think the Top 20 was short on Anthony though. He dominated his season & won the first 4 challenges right out of the box. But, I realize the show only had an hour, so something had to give.
    ITA with you about feeling that Anthony got shortchanged on the T20 and/or Honorable Mentions.

However, the show DID only have an hour, and I think --- TRYING to look at this fairly! --- he was such a powerhouse that if they'd TOTALLY given him all the MU props that were due him, a few of the MUs that repped the other four seasons wouldnt've been represented at ALL.

Not even for Honorable Mentions, I believe!

In addition to that, he and Rayce are the only two previous winners that have weighed in just this past season for the first time (?) with their thoughts and opinions on each week's makeups. Conor doing that? Maybe. But Heaven ONLY knows where he was when taping times for their crits came up. He might've been working on some movie, or something. Nicole? PLEASE. Laura? Well, she'd just won S5, so that cancelled HER out, I believe.

I suppose TPTB kind of felt that with Anthony doing critiques this season (and his FO face, etc., being kept out there that way, and him thus being sanctioned by the show, still), and to be able to give a good representative sampling of the show as a whole, over the complete (at that time) five-season run, Anthony was SO good that while his contributions HAD to be acknowledged, to do so fully would've meant not getting a nice across-the-board sampling from the other four seasons.

I could TOTALLY be off the mark, but that's what hit my mind about why he didn't get more T20 spots.

Besides, between the Anthony and Rayce crits, Anthony CLEARLY has it all OVER Rayce, IMHO. He's WAY more polished and relaxed than Rayce is --- from his first crit all the way to his last --- so his previous theater/teaching experience is ABSOLUTELY showing itself.

Plus, he's always struck me as being very humble about his successes, so I suspect his nose didn't get TOO far out of joint (if it did at ALL!) about not receiving more T20 props and/or Honorable Mentions, when he far and away has it CONSISTENTLY over pretty much everybody else who's ever appeared on the show.

I could be DEAD WRONG . . .

But those are just my thoughts and musings about it.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Newbie

I really enjoyed the top 20 countdown just to see which make ups the judges thought were the best overall. But I had a few issues with their list. Connor's zombie for example. Don't get me wrong, I loved this make up and thought it was great, but I don't get how they can put that make up on the list considering that Connor's zombie lost to Tate's back in season one and Tate's zombie make up was absent from the list.

And I have the same problem with Sara and Larua's Star Wars alien being placed above Rod and Roy's, even thought Rod and Roy won that challenge. Again, I do think that Laura and Sara had the better make up and that they should have won that challenge. It's just confusing to me because it seems like the judges are contradicting their past decisions.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

If they counted down every single piece in Face Off history, Joe's Star Wars paper mache disaster would probably be on the very bottom.

+ Reply to Thread