+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: 10/29 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 12

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

10/29 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 12

Vets only from this point forward.

Tonight - The Final Four work on bird inspired looks.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 10/29 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 12

THE CLASH OF THE TITANS IS ON AND POPPIN' Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoo HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I *love* the Final Three :-) (No offense to Miranda, but of the final four, she was the one that I hoped didn't make it in.) And poor Ray...watching his mold fall made me wince. But he made it work!

Next week is going to be amazing :-)
    Duckyface likes this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

A fabulous F3.

My three picks from the beginning.

I'll be fine with anyone winning.
    Kip and mushybrain like this.

I'm glad Roy made it in. I think he would have been in trouble if not for two things.

1. The simplicity of Miranda's make up
    2. The disaster of last week

Still he is in. What I love about the finale is none of your past wins or talent factor in. It all comes down to one challenge. Mess up and it can slip through your fingers (also known as the Kris effect).
    Kip likes this.
    The Moral Of Big Brother 11: If you don't play nice, Chima will pay you a visit.

It really touched and moved me to see Roy tear up and lose it when he started to talk about hearing his name called for F3.

Now THAT, is a REAL man, to me!
    Kip, Gala62, jadewarlock and 1 others like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by srgeman View Post
    I'm glad Roy made it in. I think he would have been in trouble if not for two things.

1. The simplicity of Miranda's make up
    2. The disaster of last week

Still he is in. What I love about the finale is none of your past wins or talent factor in. It all comes down to one challenge. Mess up and it can slip through your fingers (also known as the Kris effect).
    I agree, and I think in this case they did look at overall portfolio in the past few weeks. Roy had at least completed all his looks even if he had some style issues.

Miranda actually sent out a makeup that was so incomplete she looked like she was a freshman art student... a HIGH SCHOOL Freshman art student last week.

Roy did have the issues with the eye makeup, but that was really the only one that was a major issue there. His did look more bird though than Miranda's - meaning he also learned from last week's mistake of creating a makeup that was well done but NOT a character they wanted. I think that also helped.

Next week is the clash of the Titans - I believe two folks who were runner-ups (or appeared to be so in their cases) and then Roy who just missed the last go (but because he did a stupid STUPID mistake - had he not done the wig, Nicole wouldn't have won she'd been out).

I will be happy with any of the three winning but it will depend on what I see next week.

Was worried though that they'd decide to bring back a final four like they did the first season, but thankfully that didn't happen. I *DO* however wonder if Laney had toughed it out and made it to the final four (as I do think she'd at least completed her makeup), if they would've done a final four to ensure there was at least one newbie. And, yes, they could've considered it as they showed they did a non-elim last week.

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    It really touched and moved me to see Roy tear up and lose it when he started to talk about hearing his name called for F3.

Now THAT, is a REAL man, to me!
    Oh yeah... I felt that all three were genuinely happy and honored to be in the finals, but Roy's is special after last year and probably thinking with all the things that went wrong this week he'd end up having history repeat itself. Fortunately it didn't there - he deserves the chance to win this season. I don't think he'll win - I think it will be Laura or Tate, but out of the final four this IS the right final three.

But that's what I like about this show - all four finals have had the best of that season, even with Nicole, who even with her second chance and return did produce strong work to earn her spot in the final three. She could've been essentially a revolving door contestant.

I will make *one* comment that I found odd and a couple of other notes...

Did anyone else feel like Tate's vulture kinda is reminiscent of the bad guys in "The Dark Crystal"? The coloring was different but the body felt like one. To be fair though - given his bird they didn't really give him a lot of choices.

I agree Roy needed more realistic feathers on the head - it did look a bit fake in a way, and texture would've helped out. But it still was better and more bird-like than Miranda's, and the arms were really cool.

Laura's - loved the face, but I felt the body was too plushy. In fairness, when I dressed up as Foghorn Leghorn at a Six Flags park the "feathers" are the same fur, but here that caused the same issue, and unlike Fog, who is OBVIOUSLY a cartoon come real life (meaning, as you don't see literal feathers on him you can get away with plush), Laura's character was not. It did have the best facial expressions of the lot though.

It was no contest really overall IMHO who was the top three best this week, and it looks like the three really did choose the best helpers for next week's final challenge IMHO.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I loved the bird theme but was kind of disappointed that all of the designers went so literal with the bird theme. I would like to have seen more humanoid bird characters. I remember a past season where the designers had fish as their inspiration and they used the color patterns and a few fishy features (like scales or gills) but the overall look was more human. I thought those designs were much more creative and beautiful.

As much as I love Tate, I had to agree with the judge who said his color palette was kind of muddy. I've thought that of his designs for many of this season's challenges. One thing I like about Laura is she's very good at using a crisp color palette with very clear highlights and lowlights, not applying too many colors. Tate is wonderful at sculpting and design but Laura is definitely better at painting and makeup than he is.
    ness, Gala62 and Duckyface like this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

I sooo had my hands over my face, whispering "not Miranda, not Miranda". Thankfully the judges heard me and all is right with the world!

I also thought that most of them missed the mark with the theme of blending bird and human. The stress of the final challenge kinda got to most of them - at least in their concepts. The top 3 all produced very good MU's, just not the peak of their abilities.

Really looking forward to next week - I don't have a favorite - all 3 were favorites of mine on their respective seasons. I guess I'd have to pick Laura or Tate, with Roy in 3rd (but he's such a sweetheart!). As I said, very tough to call.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast