+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 10/22 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 11

10/22 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 11

"Dark Magic"

Norse runes will be used to inspire dark Norse Elves.

This sounds fascinating.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: 10/22 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 11

According to Wiki, Tate won the challenge and Laney quit.

Wow.

So it's an all vet Final Four.

Yep, Johnny you're right.

And no one was eliminated this week, though Miranda's REALLY deserved it. She better be glad Laney quit because if she hadn't, Miranda's would've been eliminated.

Final four -

1. Tate - clear winner because he did design a dark elf that looked like he was underground and rough around the edges. IMHO, his is better than what you see in the teasers for the movie, and that's saying something.

2. Laura's - Loved hers and would've been happy with her winning this challenge too, but she was *just* missing the runes part of the challenge. Had she incorporated some of the rune's designs into her character I think it'd won the challenge. It was very close.

3. Roy - I think had he added the ears and as mentioned at least broadened the shoulders, had there been five, I think he'd been the saved one for the week. It wasn't horrid, and had they eliminated someone I think he'd been saved ONLY because he did a complete makeup - even if it wasn't nearly as elf as Miranda's.

4. Miranda - again, very VERY lucky this week. Makeup not even completed - there were normal skin hands and the prosthetic wasn't even properly colored. She should've gone home and would've had Laney not quit.

5. Laney - in short VERY disappointed in her. All the newbies eliminated before her would've loved to have been in that final five challenge competing against the veterans. As Roy said, I'm sure it's stressful and she was homesick, but with a prize of more than $100,000 (I think it's closer to the half million), it's worth the minor stresses.

I hate saying it - but I TRULY feel that Laney just didn't want to do a challenge where the makeup wasn't cutesy and just took the easy way out.

Glenn *is* right for the reasoning to keep Miranda and Roy, neither quit in the face of adversity, and deserved a second chance. That said, if the final three isn't Roy, Laura and Tate I will be disappointed. They really were the best this week even with Roy's goof-up. (Well that and Roy for better or worse has at least attempted interesting stuff while Miranda has on several occasions flat out given boring paints - her one last week was just as flat as this week).
    mom2, Arielflies and TripleGemini like this.

Lacey was depressed even before the challenge started...at least it looked that way to me, given that she was only wearing eyeliner and lipstick and she hadn't done her hair. But the lack of "cuteness" probably didn't help her dwindling passion anyway.

I'm still disappointed that she left. She had some good makeups this season, but leaving? That could affect her future.
    Kip and Florimel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I'm still disappointed that [Laney] left. She had some good makeups this season, but leaving? That could affect her future.
    Here I agree with you wholeheartedly. It said a LOT when ROY - who was adamant in not helping folks with their makeups anymore as the numbers dwindled (within reason) goes into the restroom and gives her a tough love pep talk. He sees the talent and skills in her, and didn't want her to just throw those away for being a little homesick.

Honestly, if Laney were to read this, I would say this much - if you are passionate for this job, you MUST travel sometimes, and you will be missing your folks. I will say this from experience being a part of a movie in real life (though none of this extensive stuff) - you are gone for months at a time and if you are homesick, you will most likely not be happy being in this career. It's a lot of travel wherever you go, and - as in the case where I worked as an extra - sometimes in the middle of nowhere so you will be in a bit of solitude. This goes ESPECIALLY true in cases where you're waiting between shoots to costume folks.

You have the talent and the skills (and your style is popular currently) but you have to grow up slightly in this area in order to succeed in the larger industry. And it's obvious you DO have the talent or Tate and ESPECIALLY Roy wouldn't have gone to get you or cheer you up when you were down. I do however admire you for even applying for this show given that issue, but it is a shame you quit. We'd like to have seen you go out in a blaze of glory instead of being the second person to quit this show, but you are the first to quit without producing a makeup in the current challenge before you did (the other guy DID complete his makeup with Tommy before he quit).

Now, on a different note - I AM pleased that none of the makeups were what would be seen as horror makeups, ESPECIALLY when I heard what the runes were for. They could've leaned toward being very Dark or horror, but all of them showed restraint here. Sadly - the only "horror" makeup out there was Miranda's but because it was unfinished, not because the design wasn't there.
    inthegarden likes this.

I didn't think Laney would make it to final 3 anyway. But she was so close to the final 3 and she gave it up. She was the only newbie left too but I guess after seeing the work of the other 4, she felt defeated already. If she stayed, she might even make the final 4 because Miranda didn't finish her work. I so wanted the judges to say that because Laney quit, Laura and Tate are automatically in the finals while Roy and Miranda will fight it out for the last spot.
    Kip and TripleGemini like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    I didn't think Laney would make it to final 3 anyway. But she was so close to the final 3 and she gave it up. She was the only newbie left too but I guess after seeing the work of the other 4, she felt defeated already. If she stayed, she might even make the final 4 because Miranda didn't finish her work. I so wanted the judges to say that because Laney quit, Laura and Tate are automatically in the finals while Roy and Miranda will fight it out for the last spot.
    I think she'd been in the final four, and they may have actually had since season one a final four to ensure they had at least one fan in the final challenge.

And yes, as long as Laney had finished a makeup, I dare say Miranda would've been eliminated. Yes, Roy's slipped out of the challenge, but it did look - to me - elfin when you had a big head. And last season's winner (Anthony) had the proportion issue with his Egyptian mummy (And Eric Fox had that comic book style one).

Roy also completed the challenge - Miranda's didn't even have it painted to the point all body parts were covered in some sort of paint. What saved them I think more than Laney's quitting was the fact that Roy's to them didn't look like an elf, so to them they felt that Miranda - who at least sculpturally - had the right character, being eliminated wouldn't be fair.

But I say an unfinished makeup of that calibre and extremism should've been eliminated. Miranda was indeed VERY lucky to have Laney quit.

I think the final three should be Tate, Laura and Roy - the clash of the true Titans.

Winner? - well, I love Roy but I think it should be Laura, then Tate unless they falter and Roy hits it out of the park. I would say however that would be the best final challenge they've ever seen though - all three are tops in their work for the most part, all have had wins and been in the bottom and all three have had consistently good work, even if issues caused the bottom looks.

Miranda has been getting by more on a wing and a prayer - especially the past two weeks.
    Kip likes this.

Miranda's look was an absolute trainwreck. And if her model hadn't been such a great sport doing so much of the work for her, her final MU would have been even worse. I liked Roy's(?) comment that the model had done so much work and learned enough that he could be a contestant on the next season!
    Kip likes this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    I liked Roy's(?) comment that the model had done so much work and learned enough that he could be a contestant on the next season!
    I was laughing so hard at that comment, because it was so truthful and yet harmless as far as his assessment. Miranda did really mess up this week and at least had a nice strong male to be able to do the heavy work.

And yes, I do wonder if he learned a lot to be able to try his hand at an actual makeup now. I learned what little I do know watching this show (Though could not afford most of the supplies they use. Ben Nye makeup - a basic kit - was $45 when I was in college, and the year I used that was in 1999).

She had a great sculpt started, but that final product was so bad. Even then... that headdress read MAYAN or AZTEC, not Norse.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I thought it was interesting that it was the two men who went into the bathroom to console Laney and give her a pep talk.

Laura, Tate, and Roy deserve to be the final 3. Roy has been a favorite of mine, but I honestly think Laura and Tate have produced more consistently good work. If I had to hire someone to work on a team, I'd choose Tate over Laura because he's so willing to help others who are struggling. If I was needed characters with beautiful paint jobs, I'd hire Laura. I'm looking forward to the finale.

I agree with Triple Gemini that Laney's leaving could hurt her future. I wouldn't want to hire someone who gives up when the pressure's on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast