+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 10/22 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 11

  1. #11
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,137

    Re: 10/22 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I thought it was interesting that it was the two men who went into the bathroom to console Laney and give her a pep talk.

    Laura, Tate, and Roy deserve to be the final 3. Roy has been a favorite of mine, but I honestly think Laura and Tate have produced more consistently good work. If I had to hire someone to work on a team, I'd choose Tate over Laura because he's so willing to help others who are struggling. If I was needed characters with beautiful paint jobs, I'd hire Laura. I'm looking forward to the finale.

    I agree with Triple Gemini that Laney's leaving could hurt her future. I wouldn't want to hire someone who gives up when the pressure's on.
    Going head to head on their season finale projects from their respective seasons, Laura barely edges out Tate in skills IMHO. She should've won out of the final three that season but that was the year of the infamous "We choose the winner" and most likely Nicole won because we split between Laura and the other finalist. Not that Nicole's work wasn't bad (it was good save the wig of doom final four challenge where Roy's choice to add the wig doomed him and saved Nicole), but she had come back and Laura's was indeed the strongest.

    And yes, Laura's work that season clearly the strongest of the finalists that season. Her Immortal Enemies makeup was very good and out of the three had the least amount of wear and tear after the models did their stunt show (BTW these were real stunt doubles and not the typical models they have on the show).

    Tate's - an apocalyptic Red Riding Hood vignette - was very good, but honestly the first final four all of them were good and had pros and cons. The winner that year narrowly - and I mean narrowly edged out Tate's for the win.

    You are so right on your assessments of makeup work though - I have seen Tate do some beauty makeup but it's not that often compared to Laura's either season.

    I do find it funny that there will be at least ONE finalist who will have a repeat of their previous season (most likely TWO though I think). Roy was in the final four and Miranda was eliminated pretty early in her season.

    My only worry is that with Roy mentioning he was in the final four and that was where he was eliminated last go will mean we're going to see history repeat itself. I hope not because I'm sorry, Miranda has been more lucky as she's progressed in this season than good. This holds especially true the past two makeups.

    OK - I admit it ... it BUGS me that Miranda is there only because Laney quit. Even Megan of season one, who was eliminated for doing a mere beauty makeup in the disguise challenge during the first season final five, at LEAST had the pregnancy belly she created from prosthetics and a full makeup (even if no face prosthetics). Hers was a COMPLETE and COMPLETELY painted makeup, even if it was a cheat.

    I now have to apologize now for Megan for saying that wasn't a makeup - it was in comparison to what we saw in last night's challenge. Miranda's was really that bad - I have seen first year students in makeup do better with their fake wounds they created and then paraded around the college wearing to scare folks (Oh and still do BTW ) .
    Gala62 and inthegarden like this.

  2. #12
    Kip
    Kip is online now
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,665

    Re: 10/22 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 11

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Going head to head on their season finale projects from their respective seasons, Laura barely edges out Tate in skills IMHO. She should've won out of the final three that season...

    Tate's - an apocalyptic Red Riding Hood vignette - was very good, but honestly the first final four all of them were good and had pros and cons. The winner that year narrowly - and I mean narrowly edged out Tate's for the win.

    You are so right on your assessments of makeup work though - I have seen Tate do some beauty makeup but it's not that often compared to Laura's either season.

    ...Miranda has been more lucky as she's progressed in this season than good. This holds especially true the past two makeups....
    I was rooting for Laura to win in her season, but I don't recall any of the make-ups. I didn't remember Tate's either until you mentioned it. I liked both Tate's and Conor's work that season, but I don't remember Conor's either.

    Yes, Miranda should have gone home last night. One judge even said it was the worst make up in the entire history of the show. She can obviously do much better, but it really felt like a slap in the face to the other three, but maybe they did it that way because they needed a certain # of shows for the cycle.

    For me, comparing Laura & Tate's work is like comparing apples and oranges. They're both really good at what they do. I'd be happy with either of them winning - I'll wait to see what they do for the finale challenge. And if Roy comes up with something as good as he did last week, he might be right back there in there.

  3. #13
    FORT Fogey srgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,489
    Wow. Just wow. Congrats to Tate, Laura, and Roy. All three made good looks, even Roy (it was out of place, not bad). Miranda though...Okay this answers a question I've had for quite some time. What kind of make-up would it take a front runner from the very top to out in one shot? The answer, this one.

    As a Survivor fan, quitters bug the [mod edit] out of me. Good riddance Laney.

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Going head to head on their season finale projects from their respective seasons, Laura barely edges out Tate in skills IMHO. She should've won out of the final three that season but that was the year of the infamous "We choose the winner" and most likely Nicole won because we split between Laura and the other finalist. Not that Nicole's work wasn't bad (it was good save the wig of doom final four challenge where Roy's choice to add the wig doomed him and saved Nicole), but she had come back and Laura's was indeed the strongest.

    And yes, Laura's work that season clearly the strongest of the finalists that season. Her Immortal Enemies makeup was very good and out of the three had the least amount of wear and tear after the models did their stunt show (BTW these were real stunt doubles and not the typical models they have on the show).
    I disagree. Her demon from that season was the worst of the three. It had the same Rod face that Rod did, only slightly melted and an ugly yellow paint job. Her good witch was nothing compared to Nicole's. Nicole had color and beauty. Laura had gray. Lot's of gray. I voted for Nicole because I liked her make ups, not because of the story.

    Sorry, I've been told I only voted for Nicole because of her story MANY times, it's grown to bug me.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 10-23-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    redsox girl likes this.
    The Moral Of Big Brother 11: If you don't play nice, Chima will pay you a visit.

  4. #14
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,137

    Re: 10/22 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 11

    Quote Originally Posted by srgeman View Post
    I disagree. Her demon from that season was the worst of the three. It had the same Rod face that Rod did, only slightly melted and an ugly yellow paint job. Her good witch was nothing compared to Nicole's. Nicole had color and beauty. Laura had gray. Lot's of gray. I voted for Nicole because I liked her make ups, not because of the story.

    Sorry, I've been told I only voted for Nicole because of her story MANY times, it's grown to bug me.
    A lot of people voted for her work, which I agree was very good. My issue with Nicole's win was that she was allowed to return the same season.

    Portfolio however, I still think Laura had the strongest portfolio of the three of them.

    On the plus, at least Nicole was not punished for being a return contestant unlike other shows such as Project Runway. I say that because I still think Heidi the handle that situation way she did so she could rank Justin as 3rd

  5. #15
    Bloomin' FoRT Fanatic! ness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Roseland!
    Posts
    10,280

    Re: 10/22 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 11

    Some LANEY thoughts . . .

    Yep, I know she's only 24 and hasn't had that much mileage in the industry, yet. Hell, she hasn't even had that much mileage in LIFE, yet. Having said that . . . Like TG, my thinking is that this litttle cop-out of hers may damage her standing in the field. Perhaps not PERMANENTLY. But honestly, if I were a producer, director, etc., I wouldn't touch her with a ten-foot pole, after seeing and/or hearing about this.

    Over time, because she IS so young, she MIGHT be able to work past the label of "quitter" that she branded herself with.

    It might be a long uphill climb for her, though.

    IF she decides to remain in the industry and keep it movin', that is.

    As for homesickness . . .

    I'm with jade on that one. I believe that perhaps most ---if not ALL --- of us might've found ourselves in professional or personal situations where we wound up being homesick. I daresay we didn't cut and run when the depression, etc., set in. We put on our big girl/boy panties/drawers, sucked it up, and saw it through to the bitter end, until we could get our behinds BACK home.

    And frankly, I think Laney's taking a powder had MORE going on with it than just being homesick. In the three challenges before this one, she went from being in the bottom, to being safe, to being BACK in the bottom. I think it's reasonable to believe that her confidence took a MAJOR hit, what with her being on a seesaw like that. ESPECIALLY since the FIRST time she was ever IN the bottom was when she worked with Alana (who she'd previously worked and won with, and who behaved so poorly towards her in the "Cosmic Circus" challenge that Alana wound up getting the boot for).

    I think Laney REALLY started to mentally erode from that point, and never recovered.

    She STILL did herself no favors by quitting, however, and I sincerely hope that she hasn't permanently cut off her nose to spite her face in the profession.

    IF she still WANTS to work in the profession, that is.

    Oh, well, hopefully, this'll wind up being a HUGE life lesson for her, in the long run.

    More later.
    TripleGemini and Gala62 like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

  6. #16
    Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Age
    21
    Posts
    7,834

    Re: 10/22 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 11

    I really liked all three of the completed creations.

    The black female model is beautiful. She pulls off some gorgeous elves/aliens. <3
    mom2 likes this.

  7. #17
    FORT Fogey Gala62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hopefully near a spa
    Posts
    1,077

    Re: 10/22 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 11

    I adored Laura's creation. Beautiful, elegant...that read dark elf to me, no problem. Tate's was a woman meant to be a source of birth and regeneration. The extreme lack of any attractiveness was a bit off-putting to me, but it was very well done, so kudos to him.

    Roy? From his first sketch, I was nervous. It just didn't look elvish. It was done well enough that he should have been safe regardless (unless the judges took a left turn into insanity and rewarded Miranda because she stuck closer to the elven theme). Thankfully he was saved.

    Miranda has been guilty as much as Laney for reusing the same designs. That head piece was very similar to the one she did with Eddie. And I'm blanking, but wasn't there a 3rd one? She had some good stuff early on, but she's either tired, can't get the help she wants or is out of ideas. I'll be very ticked if she makes F4.

    Laney can be as talented as all get out, but until she grows up/matures it won't make a damn bit of difference. As most of you have mentioned, she will be faced with travel, remote locations, etc in this profession. Clearly she needs to regroup and rebuild her reputation by starting small. This show was far too big of a leap for her.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

  8. #18
    Go Teams! inthegarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,409

    Re: 10/22 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 11

    Quote Originally Posted by Gala62 View Post
    I adored Laura's creation. Beautiful, elegant...that read dark elf to me, no problem. Tate's was a woman meant to be a source of birth and regeneration. The extreme lack of any attractiveness was a bit off-putting to me, but it was very well done, so kudos to him.

    Roy? From his first sketch, I was nervous. It just didn't look elvish. It was done well enough that he should have been safe regardless (unless the judges took a left turn into insanity and rewarded Miranda because she stuck closer to the elven theme). Thankfully he was saved.

    Miranda has been guilty as much as Laney for reusing the same designs. That head piece was very similar to the one she did with Eddie. And I'm blanking, but wasn't there a 3rd one? She had some good stuff early on, but she's either tired, can't get the help she wants or is out of ideas. I'll be very ticked if she makes F4.

    Laney can be as talented as all get out, but until she grows up/matures it won't make a damn bit of difference. As most of you have mentioned, she will be faced with travel, remote locations, etc in this profession. Clearly she needs to regroup and rebuild her reputation by starting small. This show was far too big of a leap for her.
    Along with jadewarlock's comments, this sums up Laney's quitting, nicely.

  9. #19
    Bloomin' FoRT Fanatic! ness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Roseland!
    Posts
    10,280

    Re: 10/22 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 11

    Other drive-by ramblings . . .

    ROY -

    It's interesting to me that he worked SO hard on getting the proportions right in the "Laughing Dead" challenge that he JUST won, then turns around and tanks on the proportions on the head of his elf in the "Dark Magic" challenge THE VERY NEXT WEEK and winds up on the BOTTOM. I got where he was going with the head enlargement, but maybe he should've built up the shoulders, etc., as well? Or not enlarged the head quite so much? Or enlarged it just SLIGHTLY and centered the rune on the forehead, or something? Kind of reminds me of the "Mummy Mayhem" challenge, where Anthony didn't really look at what he was doing and didn't build up the shoulders on his makeup like he should've, in order to match the head.

    TATE -

    It was very clear WHY he won. Everything he did was logical and had a reasonable purpose. I just wish his'd had a more human/prettier face on it.

    LAURA -

    She ABSOLUTELY deserves to be where she is, now. I agree with her NOT taking it in THIS particular challenge. Runes on hers would've been nice.

    MIRANDA -

    Has played OUT. Bless her heart, she REALLY needs to GO somewhere, and sit DOWN. There was NO excuse for that travesty. I agree with whichever judge it was that said this was probably the WORST MU in FO history.

    JMHO.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.