+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 10/15 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 10

10/15 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 10

"The Laughing Dead"

Contestants must make ghosts that are both funny and scary. (As long as they stay away from the clowns, I'll be all right.)
    inthegarden likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 10/15 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 10

Long and the short:

1. Roy (winner) - he finally got his head together this week and created the right mix of humor and horror. He did a better job when he listened to the notes and put back the stogie. It made the guy look tough but a bit in pain because he got the bad luck of being the bottom part of the shoulder sit for eternity. I liked too that he fabricated the bottom half to create the illusion of it really being two people by having it tighter around the knees so the makeup wearer had to waddle, which lead to the look of a midget walking. Design, sculpt and paint was nice too.

2. Laura (runner-up) - I agree with the judges - she had a great concept but didn't take it far enough. I seriously thought she'd add panels of glass sticking in him or other chemistry items... or could've had him look like he was on fire because the bunsen burner killed him. Still, it was well made and overall correct balance of humor and horror she deserved the honors.

3. Tate - I loved the cowboy ghost honestly and the creativity on the stick horse. Was disappointed though he hid the scalped part with a hat that he had to take off and the horse didn't appear to work correctly. It was however another example of balancing horror and humor.

4. Miranda - in short, VERY lucky that the bottom two did worse. Flat, didn't have horror in it (not a legitimate one) and that head looked fake because she used a styrofoam cast. She should've been thrown into the bottom three regardless and just have Tate "safe." She deserved to be called out for the second head.

5. Laney - Oh dear... great concept, horrible paint and bad ideal on electrocute. Patrick was right, she's got to get her personality OUT of her design, because here it hurt her in the end. She needed to also work on more of an electrocuted look on the makeup besides the hair. The lightning bolt on the forehead looked like an ugly blister. She was lucky to not be eliminated because they at least "Got" her concept.

6. Eddie - well, it was time for him to go. Concept was bad, and the execution was worse. He created a candlelight ghost instead of a baseball ghost with that makeup. I agreed with Glenn, making the bat match the rest of the ghost's face (as he made the hat part of the ghost's body) would've helped, but the comment about eyes bugging out (I think Ve) or something to exaggerate the fact he got hit in the head with a baseball bat and it was what turned him into a ghost was needed.

Not a bad episode, but now I think anyone I have in the pool being eliminated is going to be sad. I have all five in my pool still.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Well, my three picks are still in (Tate, Roy, Laura).

I didn't participate in this season's pool, did I? If so I probably would have added all three to my team. Then maybe I could have finally won one.

Miranda might win. She went out third in her first season. That's all I'm holding against her.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Laney snuck into the F3 just for the sake of having a newbie there.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Well, my three picks are still in (Tate, Roy, Laura).

I didn't participate in this season's pool, did I? If so I probably would have added all three to my team. Then maybe I could have finally won one.

Miranda might win. She went out third in her first season. That's all I'm holding against her.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Laney snuck into the F3 just for the sake of having a newbie there.
    My five left are Roy, Miranda, Laney, Laura and Tate. My last choice, Lyma, was eliminated a few weeks ago and both my reserves were eliminated early, which was quite funny because I've had five for the past 2-3 weeks and none have been eliminated.

I don't think Miranda will win unless Roy, Laura and Tate tank in the upcoming challenges. I can see her beat Laney, but even there, it's a tossup. She is letting her doubt get to her and it's going to harm her soon. She's been lucky at least twice that there were others worse than her.

Laney and Lyma really were the two newbies that really stood out for a long time. Lyma had a bad week and went home (and IMHO she should've been saved over at least one of the others in the bottom two), and Laney really needs to get her act together or she's going to be eliminated before the finals.

No, I don't think the judges would have a newbie there or newbie's sake - they're professionals and have high reputations in the industry and are overall fair in their judgement. Doing this would cheapen their standings IMHO and in a way be counter-productive to Laney's growth. They see talent in her surely, but the one thing you don't do in that industry is give "participation" ribbons of sort. Makeup designs on a movie can make or break the movie - I know from experience shoes could affect a performance, and makeups if they're bad can affect someone's performance and make the makeup look fake instead of realistic. This is one of the BIGGEST things I respect about this show.

Tate really can tough it out though - there has been NO mention of his hand since he injured it, and unlike most other shows where this could be a game ender, he just keeps going and overall produces good solid art.

I am glad that all of them have been a bottom look at least once, so it shows they all have their foibles, and keeps them overall on equal footing. This makes it anyone's game more in my opinion because they have seen their best and worst so they have comparisons come the final challenge.

One more newbian to go and we get the top 4 of Laura, Tate, Roy, and Miranda. I thought RJ will be part of this quartet but he fell flat this season. I thought Laura was robbed in her season so I hope she wins this time.
    Duckyface likes this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    One more newbian to go and we get the top 4 of Laura, Tate, Roy, and Miranda. I thought RJ will be part of this quartet but he fell flat this season. I thought Laura was robbed in her season so I hope she wins this time.
    I agree.

But what more can we ask for when the public votes for the winner.
    Kip likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Roy was the clear winner last night. Fantastic concept.

I liked Tate's creation more than Laura's - but, yeah, apparently the horse head mechanical movement didn't work. (And whether someone is second or third doesn't really matter.) I just love Tate - he couldn't stop himself from helping Laney even after discussing with Roy that people need to sink or swim on their own. What a great guy!

One thing (among several) I REALLY like about this show is how at the end of a work day, we see the group leave the building, then 10 seconds later we see them walk back in the door for the next day. Occasionally we see a 60-sec or less clip from house activity, but that's it. That's enough for me.
    Florimel and Duckyface like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Roy was the clear winner last night. Fantastic concept.

I liked Tate's creation more than Laura's - but, yeah, apparently the horse head mechanical movement didn't work. (And whether someone is second or third doesn't really matter.) I just love Tate - he couldn't stop himself from helping Laney even after discussing with Roy that people need to sink or swim on their own. What a great guy!
    There's a difference here I think - he gave a couple of suggestions but didn't actually long term handle her work. It was not like all of them helping get Tate's foam/silicone run so he'd have prosthetics when he came back from getting all those stitches.

One thing (among several) I REALLY like about this show is how at the end of a work day, we see the group leave the building, then 10 seconds later we see them walk back in the door for the next day. Occasionally we see a 60-sec or less clip from house activity, but that's it. That's enough for me.
    It does have a feel of a revolving door, but it is refreshing to not see all these stories and such on stuff outside the workroom and reveal stage. Not that I mind stuff in the house, but they don't focus on the drama, they focus on the art, which I appreciate.

Funniest moment of the night - though it was a risk for him - Roy putting on the lower midget half prosthetic. It was a risk because fooling around like that could rip the makeup.
    mom2 likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm so happy Roy was back on his game! I thought he wore his midget suit better than his model did. He really sold it. Too bad the judges couldn't have seen Roy in it!

Personally, I didn't think Laura's should have been one of the top looks. The idea sounded funnier than the execution. I would have put Tate in second place.

I have noticed that some of the models put more into the characters than others. If Laura's model had acted more bumbling on stage to carry her idea across, her design might have gone over better for me. However, it shouldn't be on the model to make a blah idea great. The design should stand on its own, without explanation and without a performance to sell it.

I knew Eddie was going home, with that weird alien head on his model. I don't know what he was thinking. Plus, he didn't even have the baseball bat going through his character's head! It was stuck on the back like it was velcroed there. It would have been much funnier if he had done an arrow-through-the-head effect with the bat.

The previews look like Miranda is lost in self-defeat again. Gee, imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I'm so happy Roy was back on his game! I thought he wore his midget suit better than his model did. He really sold it. Too bad the judges couldn't have seen Roy in it!
    What is sad is that in the first season, they had the final five actually do disguise makeups on themselves, and then go to a makeup store where they had to fool their loved ones, who were told they needed to pick up supplies for their contestants).

I loved that one - especially the winner of that challenge (Sam's) because she completely and effectively changed gender. She fooled her husband so well that he even ignored her goodbye (in her own voice) of "goodbye sugar."

I wish they'd do that again - it was so much fun to watch, and in a season of newbies and vets it'd been nice to seen it again (well that and the nude challenge - not because I like nudes but because of how elegant these designs were - even the weakest of all the ones I saw).
    mom2 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast