+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 10/15 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 10

Re: 10/15 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 10

Has there ever been such an obvious winner? I don't think ANYONE looked at Roy's design without laughing. I'm glad to see him back on top.

The final five looks almost like I thought it would. I thought sure we'd see RJ and maybe another of the vets still around. Miranda has been a huge surprise this season.

I'm sure I'm not rooting for Tate because I have a raging crush on him Really, I'd prefer that either he or Laura win this season, although I'd be happy with Roy or Miranda as well. I think Laney's probably going to go next week.
    pikachu likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Me, too, Critical! Tate is defintely crushable. What a sweetheart, and easy on the eyes, too.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    There's a difference here I think - he gave a couple of suggestions but didn't actually long term handle her work. It was not like all of them helping get Tate's foam/silicone run so he'd have prosthetics when he came back from getting all those stitches....

Funniest moment of the night - though it was a risk for him - Roy putting on the lower midget half prosthetic. It was a risk because fooling around like that could rip the makeup.

....What is sad is that in the first season, they had the final five actually do disguise makeups on themselves, and then go to a makeup store where they had to fool their loved ones, who were told they needed to pick up supplies for their contestants).
    No, Tate didn't spend much time helping Laney, and Laney didn't ask for help. No one would have thought anything of it if he hadn't helped. In almost every challenge, each contestant could use an extra 5 minutes (or more!) to finalize their look. The fact that Tate gave up a few minutes of his time to help someone he saw struggling speaks volumes to me about the kind of guy Tate must be.

It was hilarious when Roy came in wearing the midget prosthetic. Like you I was worried that it was going to tear.

I loved that disguise challenge too. I suppose they haven't repeated it because contestants might have warned family members that something like that might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    ...The final five looks almost like I thought it would. I thought sure we'd see RJ and maybe another of the vets still around. Miranda has been a huge surprise this season.

I'm sure I'm not rooting for Tate because I have a raging crush on him Really, I'd prefer that either he or Laura win this season, although I'd be happy with Roy or Miranda as well. I think Laney's probably going to go next week.
    At the moment, I'd be happy with Laura, Tate, or Roy winning. I'm not that big a fan of Miranda's. I didn't like at least one of her winning looks. But maybe she'll come on stronger in the next couple of weeks. As the judges said, Laney has been too "one note." I do feel sorry for the newbies cast for this season. It's an advantage to have been on the show before, but also, a lot of the vets were among the top tier of their seasons.

Splash and dash thoughts . . .

ROY - Won it. DESERVED the win. From idea to final execution, BRILLIANT!! I loved, too, that he showed that he had enough common sense to LISTEN to Michael Westmore and stick that stogie back in the mouth of the bottom little person. That WORKED, and the damn thing was FUNNY!

LAURA - Love her, but this didn't do a whole lot for me. I agree with what Neville said about it could've been funnier. It kind of echoed Beetlejuice's MU, too, and that nagged at me.

TATE - He IS a looker, and I DID like his better than Laura's. Nice job, and I, too, think he should've been flip-flopped with Laura in the standings.

MIRANDA - Oh, PLEASE. The monochrome (like one of the judges said) paint job? THAT STYROFOAM HEAD? No. Just. NO. I wouldn't've batted an eyelash in protest had she wound up in the bottom.

LANEY - Besides her usual cutesy femme not working for her this week, I'm trying to figure out just HOW she could've really LOOKED at that and NOT seen an alien, instead of the ghost of an electrocuted person?

EDDIE - Cutie. Out. DESERVED to be out, too, Frankly, I think if he'd kept going with the ghostly doctor, he MIGHT'VE been able to work that, better. Oh well, his inexperience REALLY showed this week, and it bit him in the butt. VERY gracious leave-taking, though. With a few years of apprenticeship under his belt, I think he'll do well in the industry.

Much as I like and have gotten used to Neville, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED HAVING PATRICK BACK THIS WEEK! Even if it was only to co-host the SC.

And Glenn is back to HIS version of spiffed up, I see! LOVED the sleeve garters! His arms are HUGE! He looked like he could've been sitting at a table in a Wild West saloon in the 1800s, playing poker, with a glass of whiskey in front of him, and a cheroot jammed in the side of HIS mouth!

Just a few quick thoughts.

More later!
    Last edited by ness; 10-17-2013 at 12:49 AM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    No, Tate didn't spend much time helping Laney, and Laney didn't ask for help. No one would have thought anything of it if he hadn't helped. In almost every challenge, each contestant could use an extra 5 minutes (or more!) to finalize their look. The fact that Tate gave up a few minutes of his time to help someone he saw struggling speaks volumes to me about the kind of guy Tate must be.
    I do agree on the five minutes thing - some could be better for it, such as Miranda's and Laney's paint jobs this week.

And I'd much rather Tate give out tips to help improve a designer's skill set than letting them flounder (same for any of them obviously). Now final five is going to be a different story, but that's because it's so close to the finale - and there are indeed only three going to the finals.

I loved that disguise challenge too. I suppose they haven't repeated it because contestants might have warned family members that something like that might happen.
    Most likely the case, but in Tate's case, I'm kinda glad - he created a very grotesque "stereotypical nerd fan a la Comic Book Guy in 'The Simpson's'" character. Even though that was the challenge the judges just up and eliminated Megan for no prosthetics and the obvious fact her mom knew it was her but tried to pretend otherwise, I think he'd still been safe or the higher of the bottom two looks.

As far as the newbies, against the veteran talent they had it's been a bigger climb, but I will say that most of them held their own until one bad week. Laney - even in her one note issues, was by far the strongest of the lot. I do think however Lyma should've been the other one with her in the final two standing of the newbies, not Eddie.

On a positive - at least the veterans were mostly folks who COULD back up their honors of being selected for the second chance, or truly earned their chance at redemption (Frank). Even Eric had to work tooth and nail to earn that spot, even if he did have the same struggles that lead to his second elimination. I have more respect for how the producers handled this selection than supposed "veterans" on other shows ("PR" I'm looking at you specifically).
    Kip likes this.

I gave the "UH-OH!" heard round the world when Roy said something before the SC to the effect that he'd just not been there mentally and had been so worried about pleasing the judges that he hadn't been true to himself. So, he was gonna go back to doing what HE liked doing, and from there on out, they'd be seeing BIG, they'd be seeing fabrication. The first thought that hit my brain was: "HE'S GONNA FABRICATE HIMSELF RIGHT OUT THAT DOOR!!!"

The OLD Roy, coupled with the good MUs he did on his model and little person, worked for him and to his advantage this week, so he rightfully won the challenge.

YIPPEE!!!!!!!

I just hope he knows and has a sense of when to rein in the OLD Roy and balance him off with stellar MUs from here on out, like he did in THIS challenge. IIRC, the judges said before the start of this season that what got him into trouble in S3 was that he'd tried to do too much with fabrications, and was NOT doing so much with the MU. Which I think was a valid point, because he'd been centered on fabricating a lot in S3. So when he tried to scale the fabricating back/get rid of it altogether and focus strictly on MU when he did that godawful snake woman, he didn't have a clue in hell what was going on or what MIGHT be logical and would WORK with the MU.

So he wound up shooting himself in the foot and limping out the door.

He was able to balance fabricating/costuming and MU in THIS challenge. Hopefully he can keep that up and end up in F2, at least.

As we all know, doing what HE liked doing to the exclusion of everything else -- at the WRONG TIME!!!! --- was what sent RJ packing WAAAAY too soon, this season.

And yep, believe it or not, I was glad Tate stepped in and helped Laney.

Why? Because in doing so, he didn't do something that would've caused HIM to suffer, in the long run. As he said, he KNEW they'd agreed to NOT help, but he was in a good place with HIS MU, so he stepped in to help her.

THAT was fine. His assisting her didn't wind up putting HIM on the altar as a sacrificial lamb, so, cool. PLUS, as has already been mentioned: LANEY DIDN'T GO WHINING TO ANYBODY TO HELP HER OUT. Although her MU wound up tanking ANYWAY --- for GOOD reason! --- she did her dead-level BEST to try to figure it out for herself and power and work her way through it ON HER OWN.

And, much as I DIDN'T care for her final makeup, I DEFINITELY respected her for trying to stand on her own two feet and handle her business HERSELF, without looking or running to anybody else to bail her out.

She most likely will not win, here. But that's OK, as she's talented, has consistently presented herself well, and will go very far in the industry, I think.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    (Tate's) assisting her didn't wind up putting HIM on the altar as a sacrificial lamb, so, cool. PLUS, as has already been mentioned: LANEY DIDN'T GO WHINING TO ANYBODY TO HELP HER OUT. Although her MU wound up tanking ANYWAY --- for GOOD reason! --- she did her dead-level BEST to try to figure it out for herself and power and work her way through it ON HER OWN.

And, much as I DIDN'T care for her final makeup, I DEFINITELY respected her for trying to stand on her own two feet and handle her business HERSELF, without looking or running to anybody else to bail her out.

She most likely will not win, here. But that's OK, as she's talented, has consistently presented herself well, and will go very far in the industry, I think.
    That's what I like about Laney - I don't think she's seriously complained the whole season except to the inanimate object of makeup in front of her. She hasn't cried for a knight in shining armor to help her.

The only exception may have been an opinion on Alana, but she decided "let her do what she wants and it'll be her fault, not mine" and made sure to point out what SHE did and what Alana did on said makeup.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Roy did great. I love some of the ideas he comes up with. Remember that Star Wars thing he did his first season? Incredible. Eddie's was definitely the weakest of the group.

Did anyone else think that Eddie's looked like the phantom virus from "Scooby-Doo and the Cyber Chase"?

Just me? OK :-)

(Note: When my son was 4, this was his favorite movie. I must have watched it 100 times.)

I'm pretty sure I remember Laney asking for help several times. I remember her asking for help unmolding a couple times "because she had no strength in her little bitty girl arms" or something like that. I agree she doesn't do it anymore than anyone else, like some people, but she has asked for help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast