+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 10/8 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 9

10/8 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 9

"Mortal Sins"

They have to address the seven sins. Expect monsters.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Newbie

Re: 10/8 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 9

Roy: Like Roy said, it looked good from a distance, but up close the face just didn't look good and didn't convey what he was trying to go for. It looked more like a decayed face than someone who has undergone a lot of plastic surgery.

Laura: I liked it for the most part. I thought the "demon face" was a bit boring though. And I wish she hadn't used so much red. Laura does her best work when she uses a lot of colors. She's kind of screwing herself over by doing these characters who are primarily one color. But I still did like her make up, I think hers and Tate's were the most memorable of the night.

Tate: He's really the only one who just nailed the challenge. He made a personification of the sin based on the description in Dante's Inferno, and he did it a lot better than Miranda. I'd have been disappointed if he hadn't won this one.

Frank: Not much else to really say about this. He didn't put any thought into his make up beyond "fat", or on how to incorporate that color. Shame he got eliminated. I'm glad he got to come back though. Season one of Face Off got the typical reality tv show treatment where they try create fake drama crap, something the show has amazingly seemed to outgrow. Frank got the "a-hole" edit. I'm glad he got the chance to come back and show that he wasn't as big of a jerk as the show made him out to be.

Laney & Eddie: Doing these two together just because there's really nothing to talk about. Both had problems with execution, both didn't do a very good job of personifying their sin, and both just didn't turn out that good.

Miranda: I'm honestly getting tired of this constant praise Miranda seems to be getting from everyone around her. It gets frustrating when you see her struggle through each episode with coming up with ideas, working in the shop, and just looking for praise and help from everyone around her and then have the judges give her nothing but compliments each week. One of the things I love about Face Off is how the contestants are more than willing to help each other out, it's one of the things that makes this show so much better than other reality shows. But Miranda (and a few other contestants like Laney and Alana) seem to be taking advantage of this. The little hissy fit she through in tonight's episode when she couldn't figure out the hose and Frank was too busy to help her was just ridiculous. I'd really like to see if she can get through an entire challenge entirely on her own at this point. That being said, her make up this week was alright. To me it looked like there wasn't much to it though. She did a human face with some horns on it and that was about it.
    Kip, Arielflies and Duckyface like this.

I think Roy's talk with Tate will discourage him from being so helpful in the next few episodes.
    There's no place like home!

I know there are a couple who like my assessments of the makeups, but I didn't get to watch the show save the last 10 minutes, and even here just really only two of the four makeups because I had to get a project ready for an art show.

So, I can only assess Roy and Frank's makeups right now:

Roy - he has fallen into the rut that got him eliminated last go. I *get* the makeup, but for him that was really poorly made. He needed to make the tucked in portions in her face much deeper to show all the facelifts pocketing her face, OR... make it super tight to the point that her facial features distorted to the point she looked like she was wearing clown makeup. He also could've exaggerated her chest and hip area to create an exaggerated version of Dolly Parton's figure (yes, even more busty and hippy than the woman herself).

IMHO he was VERY VERY lucky that Frank had a worse look - this would've normally gotten someone eliminated.

Frank - to quote Ve "Oh dear." For starters, he didn't understand anatomy 101 - a goiter usually isn't created by food, it's a thyroid issue if I recall correctly.

Secondly, what he DID produce was a weak version of a certain Austin Powers character that would get me into trouble if I said the name here.

Bear in mind I'm not entirely sure what this challenge was due to my late return, but if was a literal interpretation of the seven deadly sins, for gluttony, I would've considered possibly making the body with FOOD as part of the person. The bad part is the guy is so hungry that he produces his own food so he's a near cannibal. This admittedly may require more sculpt work than the time allowed, but you could exaggerate the food a bit to fit the challenge.

I think Frank's mistake was he took the challenge too literally.

On a more positive note, I have a lot more respect for Frank and his work. I had HUGE reservations about him returning given his lackluster work and attitude in season one. This year, he produced many great pieces of work, and I do agree with him - he got his wish in that he was eliminated creating a good and crazy makeup. It wasn't horrible what he produced, but he had enough errors that he went home.
    inthegarden likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Roy - he has fallen into the rut that got him eliminated last go.
    That's what I thought, too, while watching the episode. He went from being all gung-ho to win the challenge, to praying to be safe, then seemed resigned to going home. I think his fire has gone out and it won't be long now before he's packing up his kit. He's already mentally checked out.

I was surprised how many designers had trouble incorporating their color into their design. That seemed easy to me! If I were Tate, I would have used the light blue on the snake around his character. That would have been fitting to have the color representing Sloth be around the creature holding his character back.

I was so thrilled Tate won. I like him a lot as a person since he seems to stay upbeat no matter what problems he's having and he's so helpful to fellow contestants. Plus I think he's a skilled designer.

Miranda is reminding me too much of Helen of Project Runway, and that's not a good thing. Her low self-confidence makes her question every step she takes and she leans on other designers to prop her up, often putting their own designs in jeopardy as they stop what they're doing to hold her hand. She's a good designer but she'll never make it in the industry if she doesn't get a thicker skin and become more self-reliant. I would have been so mad at her if Tate had gone home because his time away helping her hurt his own design. That's another reason I was so pleased he won the challenge instead of her.

Frank is good at construction and I think more skilled than Roy but unfortunately he's weak in design concept. I would rather have seen Eddie go home this week but Frank didn't follow the challenge instructions to think outside the box so he sealed his own fate.

Hit-and-run thoughts off the top of my head . . .

Roy.

SMH,

While he's CLEARLY upped the ante, makeup-wise, this go-round, and TONED DOWN the fabricating (which is what the judges said he'd need to do), ICAM with jade and pika that he's checked out, between the ears. I'm going to watch it again, but honestly, I'm trying to figure out just WHERE it is that he went from being comfortably OK during the creating process, to having bad edges, having to PAINT on scars, etc., during last looks. I sat there and WATCHED it, but God KNOWS, I STILL can't put my finger on just where it was that his trainwreck began.

Far as Frank goes, apparently he was a holy terror during S1. Kudos to him for having learned from that and having presented himself so well during THIS season. Yep, he SHOULD'VE gone home for that. Besides BLATANTLY flying in the face of the instructions as they'd been given --- to NOT go for the obvious --- when it came to incorporating the orange into his MU, it was just like Neville (I think!) said: "And as for incorporating the color, you just stuck the apple on the tray as an afterthought!" He did, far as I could tell. Matter of fact, when he was explaining his "concept", I seem to recall him mentioning the color incorporation by flippantly gesturing to the orange apple on the tray and saying: "And as for the color (waves at/gestures to apple), there's your color!"

Roy got damned lucky that Frank put himself on autopilot and showed himself the door.

I'm getting SO tired of Miranda. Frankly, if she manages to pull of a win, here, it will leave as bad a taste in my mouth as Nicole's win did, and has. Let's say, for the sake of argument, she DOES win. So, WHAT? Does that mean that everywhere she goes she's going to have to depend on others to pull her ass out of stuff she can't figure out and/or get done on her own? I understand helping your fellow artist; that's one of the major reasons I SO love this show. But, with her, it seems to me like the helping aspect ALWAYS morphs into SAVING. Not one, but EVERY challenge. As for her makeup, it was fine, and pretty. But facts are facts, without Tate's help, she wouldn't've had anything to present, at ALL.

And as hideous as Frank's fat suit turned out to be, I can't say I blame him for NOT stopping his work on it that he was in the middle of to bail Miranda out. And no, I can't say I blame Roy for counseling Tate that eventually, stopping what he's doing all the time to help others would eventually come back to bite HIM in the ass.

Not JUST on FO, but in REAL LIFE, too, there are times when you DO want to help and assist others, but can't because of other obligations having to do directly with you.

And there's NOTHING wrong with just saying "NO!" when you need to.

Laura's was way, WAY too bloody, for me. Also, the arches on the head where her character was pulling her scalp back seemed too symmetrical and balanced, to me, and I didn't like that or buy it. It kind of reminded me of Miranda and Eddie's cowl on their alien. I think if you're going to be reaching up and pulling your face off, it won't be that symmetrical and even on both sides of your head.

Laney's. I'm starting to REALLY see, now, that whoever it was that posted that she leans toward making cutesy girl characters all the time seems to have a valid point. No, THIS particular one WASN'T cutesy. But, does she EVER do ANYTHING besides females? Right now, I can't recall, so somebody PLEASE give me a shout-out reminder, and THANKS!

Eddie was a lucky sucker.

Tate. I'm still getting there, with his. But based on the others, I think he deserved the win, this week.

At LEAST it wasn't Miranda.

Frankly, if it HAD been, I don't think it would've been a bad thing for Tate to've spoken up and declared ownership of at least HALF of that recognition. Because, again, if HE hadn't stopped HIS work to pull her ass out, she wouldn't've HAD any work to show, in the FIRST place.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

For fans of Eric Fox, he is making an appearance next Tues at 11PM on the show Fangasm. It looks like he'll be helping the Stan Lee Interns create a creature.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Hit-and-run thoughts off the top of my head . . .
    Far as Frank goes, apparently he was a holy terror during S1. Kudos to him for having learned from that and having presented himself so well during THIS season. Yep, he SHOULD'VE gone home for that. Besides BLATANTLY flying in the face of the instructions as they'd been given --- to NOT go for the obvious --- when it came to incorporating the orange into his MU, it was just like Neville (I think!) said: "And as for incorporating the color, you just stuck the apple on the tray as an afterthought!" He did, far as I could tell. Matter of fact, when he was explaining his "concept", I seem to recall him mentioning the color incorporation by flippantly gesturing to the orange apple on the tray and saying: "And as for the color (waves at/gestures to apple), there's your color!"
    In fairness to Frank, it wasn't so much of him being a "holy terror" it was he just didn't care. He threw maybe one temper tantrum of sorts and that was the nude bodypaint challenge. His solution? - have the guy face the mural, put a lampshade over his head and paint him into the mural. Of course, he just had a floating lampshade, but one other person was worse, so he was safe that week.

No, title of "holy terror" goes to the guy who quit the show. He gave Tommy - who did have his issues - too much grief. I did feel sorry for Tommy that week, but that week only.

Roy got damned lucky that Frank put himself on autopilot and showed himself the door.
    Agreed, and if this wasn't a wake up call I don't know what is.

I'm getting SO tired of Miranda. Frankly, if she manages to pull of a win, here, it will leave as bad a taste in my mouth as Nicole's win did, and has.
    I have a feeling that Laura or Laney would win before Miranda. The judges are smart enough to notice details that are not hers - and they know that others can do the same quality of work as she can on a combo piece (i.e. the alien).

And as hideous as Frank's fat suit turned out to be, I can't say I blame him for NOT stopping his work on it that he was in the middle of to bail Miranda out. And no, I can't say I blame Roy for counseling Tate that eventually, stopping what he's doing all the time to help others would eventually come back to bite HIM in the ass.

Not JUST on FO, but in REAL LIFE, too, there are times when you DO want to help and assist others, but can't because of other obligations having to do directly with you.

And there's NOTHING wrong with just saying "NO!" when you need to.
    Agreed - in fact, it also shows respect because I do think that Roy wants Tate or another stronger designer - win, lose or draw in design - win if he is eliminated before the finals. Miranda apparently doesn't have that specific respect... at least yet.

Laney's. I'm starting to REALLY see, now, that whoever it was that posted that she leans toward making cutesy girl characters all the time seems to have a valid point. No, THIS particular one WASN'T cutesy. But, does she EVER do ANYTHING besides females? Right now, I can't recall, so somebody PLEASE give me a shout-out reminder, and THANKS!
    Only in team challenges most likely. I cannot recall a non-female solo project, at least yet. In fairness, there may be at least one other who has done all men.

Frankly, if it HAD been, I don't think it would've been a bad thing for Tate to've spoken up and declared ownership of at least HALF of that recognition. Because, again, if HE hadn't stopped HIS work to pull her ass out, she wouldn't've HAD any work to show, in the FIRST place.
    I get your point, but Tate does have a strain of restraint in making comments about shared work. He has seen - in season one - what can happen if you try to take half the credit for some work (others doing this, not him). And again these judges are smart enough to know other's work, particularly the veterans. I think Tate also helped Ve in "The Hunger Games," so she'd definitely spot some of his work in the mix.
    Gala62 likes this.

I pretty much agree with everything that's been said here.

Roy's on the verge of giving up - I think he realizes he's probably not going to win (Tate or Laura would be my picks) and is starting to check out. My guess it was the silicone that did him in again. Strange that he's having so many problems with silicone, foam, etc and no one else is (at least not at that level).

Laura - oh honey - you're usually so good with color - why so much red? It just overwhelmed the look of the piece completely. Still a good idea.

Miranda - what about this was lustful? I'm confused...LOL Beautiful, yes. But lustful? not so much. I'm also over her whining and leaning on others. Hopefully Tate stands up to her next time (cuz we all know there will be a next time!).

Tate - I didn't love the final piece, although I appreciated his connection to Dante's work. It was too muddy. Glad he won though.

Frank - talk about phoning it in. This was just arrogance at its worst. He didn't care about the challenge parameters.

Eddie - REALLY lucky this week. I still can't figure out what this had to do with envy. sheesh.

Not the greatest week unfortunately.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Perhaps Roy's talk with Tate will discourage him from helping others, but I hope not. It is Tate and his willing to help others that will help him get work in the industry. which is a very collaborative work environment, particularly in films. He might not and probably won't win this competition, but I'll be he's getting noticed by people who hire.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast