+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 9/24 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 7

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

9/24 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 7

"Living Art" Characters inspired by art movements.

This could go so many ways. I hope there is at least one beauty makeup.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 9/24 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 7

Since there isn't a *Spoilers* in the header - I'm erring on the side of caution for the West Coasters and saying who won and who was eliminated in spoilers:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Roy won the foundation challenge, which was a beauty makeup inspired by Elvira, mistress of the dark. She really loved his "twin sister" for her, which combined the humor, sexiness and horror that she possesses. Tate was also the top look, but I do say that based on it was inspired by her, Roy did have the edge and rightfully won the immunity and the makeup kit.

Top looks - Laney, Laura and Miranda. Laura's is phenominal, Laney's and Miranda's fit the theme well but they did have minor issues. I think Miranda's arms weren't too bad but they needed to be at least painted. Laney's was a little top heavy on the red as Ve mentioned, but she did fit the theme of her art perfectly.

Roy, Frank and Alana were safe - Roy I understood because there were four looks that fit the theme, but he had immunity. I would've edged him a bit over Miranda as his was more complete, but that is a minor issue. Alana was just flat out lucky there were three worse looks. Frank's I admit I was surprised too he was safe - save the major red used, it was a well made makeup for the painting.

Bottom looks - Tate, Scott and one other newbie who had a really bad design. Scott was eliminated, but I wasn't surprised - too many bottom two appearances and the makeup was overkill for the theme he had.

I'll give my opinion on the overall looks in a little while - I want to give a chance to let others see all the looks unspoiled. (Plus I may have one or two quips given a couple of the looks tonight).

I was happy though that there were - only a minor spoiler, but for a few of us I know who get tired of them - no flat out horror looks.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 09-24-2013 at 11:28 PM.
    TripleGemini likes this.

A quick hit-and run thought . . .

I thought the person who won SHOULD'VE won, and the person who went home, SHOULD'VE gone home.

More later.
    Duckyface likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    A quick hit-and run thought . . .

I thought the person who won SHOULD'VE won, and the person who went home, SHOULD'VE gone home.

More later.
    Oh yes... most definitely. I will say however I did overall agree with the top three and the bottom three. There were two I think were a bit of a surprise they were safe (I think they could've been top three, one DEFINITELY a surprise there).

Bottom three, I have to agree on.

And in short - if this is NOT the best teaching tool for reality TV show contestants on how to behave toward others and a huge show of respect for fellow competitors, then I don't know what is. I think this episode's workroom should be a MANDATORY viewing for any and all reality show contestants or participants on how to behave and act toward others - in that you can be competitive but respectful, and not wish the worst on a fellow contestant in order to advance.
    Kip and mushybrain like this.

These episode discussion threads are always going to contain spoilers for the West coasters, so you don't need spoiler tags. If posters don't want to be spoiled, they can avoid the thread.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FINALLY Scott is sent home. Way overdue IMHO (yeah, still a little peeved about last week). I think IRL he's probably a perfectly fine artist, but in this arena, he was out of his depth and it just showed every single week. Muddied makeup and confused concepts (yay for alliteration!).

Very happy with Laura's - that woman is unreal. How anyone can create that level of complexity and make it look that good is beyond impressive.
    I loved Miranda's face - so evocative. But can she really be that insecure?
    Alana - I really don't know why she wasn't in bottom looks. that was such a hot mess. At least the other guy's "stressful night" was fully, if poorly, painted. Why can no one remember this guy's name? strange.

Did not care for Laney's pop art - I thought the face was messy and confusing. Pop art should be simple, graphic and bold. Absolutely agree the red was heavy handed, if she had used some red elsewhere on the outfit, it might have helped balance it. Definitely thought Frank deserved a top look. I'm not a Frank fan but that was a bold, interesting concept. Roy's was very good also, maybe not a top look, but very good (that's how much I adored Miranda's face sculpt - couldn't take my eyes off it).

Tate, oh Tate. Honey, I understand you were injured, but that concept was cooked up before you got injured. Nothing even remotely resembling surrealism. At least Scott had the basic concept right.

I SO agree about the teamwork and camaraderie shown this week. This is why Face Off is one of the few reality shows I watch anymore. It's about talent and professionalism.
    pikachu and Duckyface like this.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Scott's exit was been weeks in the waiting. Frankly, he should have gone home last week so we could have kept Lyma. I loved Laura's but I wish Laney had won. I loved hers, I thought it looked most like pop art, but just my opinion.
    The Moral Of Big Brother 11: If you don't play nice, Chima will pay you a visit.

First off thanks Critical for letting me know about show discussions and not to worry about spoilers of sort even if not listed.

Now, my assessments of each:

Roy's - I liked the idea of the concept and he painted it well. I do think the arm area didn't quite blend in well with the bulges - it was a little angular, but overall it was a great look.

Laura's - stunning, that's all I can say. She is definitely out for a win this season after IMHO being gyped her season when Nicole came back and won (though I do admit here Roy's choice to put a wig on his "Grimm" creature is why Nicole advanced to the finals).

Laney's - as mentioned I do think the red was a little overkill, but it was pop art and read well. I think a little less red or as Gala mentioned a bit elsewhere would've worked better. It was tiny details on hers that made it a top look I guess.

Miranda's - interesting that two of the top three looks were cubism. Her face sculpt was phenomenal as was the costume. She might've - but barely - beaten Laura's if she had worked on the arms somewhat.

Frank's - He did that one smartly and the use of forced perspective was perfect. The makeup read a bit of a red version of the Blue Man Group, but it was done well (besides, if the show is watching and they need a makeup artist, they may ask Frank). He is impressing me with his more honest attempts to produce something well. I don't think (or honestly want) him to win - as there have been better makeups, but he has gotten my respect.

Tate - the injury messed him up and I think that the face was going to have some whimsical appliance makeup, but it was messed up. That said, without it he created a costume, and was VERY lucky that the other two had worse looks. I did like the details of the face in the castle but it needed to pop more. He did miss surrealism a bit though - as mentioned Scott did it a bit better. But Tate's makeup was better of those two.

His hand though... oh my gosh when I knew what was going to happen... I changed channels. I've got a strong stomach (have to in my job), but the sight of that blood made me a bit queasy last week. And 13 stitches - wow, he's lucky they're letting him continue as his hands are going to be important in the show.

Eddie - the forgettable one. Honestly, I found his to be uninspiring given he mentioned being inspired by van Gogh. Plus, curls do not inspire frustration, they look like a red sky honestly. He should've done teardrop spirals (points on the end) to evoke frustration better. Additionally, his makeup stunk worse than a week-old run over skunk.

Scott - sorry, but it was time. He used far too many items for the makeup and I thought the head was actually a lit cigarette butt based on the coloring and the shape. The whisky glass looked like it had dentures in it in addition to looking fake as all get out. He'd been better removing it completely and going for more of a smoke out of his head look. I WILL say though I loved the fabrication of the ear and the broken heart and how well that the tubing stayed up with the heart. Coils that long are not easy to support and it worked.

I do agree with the winner and the eliminated contestant. Eddie may be the next to go and it'll just be Laney of the newbies. That said, Laney has proved to be the cream of the crop of the newbies, though overall they all have done quite well against the vets, and most survived at least one elimination of a veteran.

I forgot to mention Alana's - hers was REALLY bad paint job and didn't evoke constructionism. Even her paint job was NOT complete - as artists wouldn't leave canvas unpainted. The chest area was also very wonky for the style that it was supposed to evoke.

She was VERY lucky that there were three seen as worse, though I do think that Alana should've been the bottom three over Tate.

Looking at the makeup again - I think that she may have edged Tate over the fact she did have a prosthetic on the model's real face while Tate's was not completed due to his injury (which may have been another reason for the bottom three appearance). That said, I'd rather a decent paint job and good fabricated costume over a subpar fabricated costume that is unpainted in the "safe" category. Or better yet a bottom four, which they have done before. It deserved to be criticized for what came out.
    Duckyface likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Oh yes... most definitely. I will say however I did overall agree with the top three and the bottom three. There were two I think were a bit of a surprise they were safe (I think they could've been top three, one DEFINITELY a surprise there).

Bottom three, I have to agree on.

And in short - if this is NOT the best teaching tool for reality TV show contestants on how to behave toward others and a huge show of respect for fellow competitors, then I don't know what is. I think this episode's workroom should be a MANDATORY viewing for any and all reality show contestants or participants on how to behave and act toward others - in that you can be competitive but respectful, and not wish the worst on a fellow contestant in order to advance.

I couldn't agree more. The difference I see in this show and others is that all of these contestants will at some point cross paths again and work together in their field. It benefits them all to work together and help each other.
    That said, I've been impressed this season with the level of professionalism of the contestants.
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast