+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 9/10 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 5

Who is John Galt?

Re: 9/10 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 5

I love this show. It has all the elements I personally like in a contestant/talent oriented reality show. It is judged by people who really know what they are judging and have been in the business a long time (unlike SYTYCD and others that are judged by an audience based on popularity and not skill). I love to see the creativity and imagination that the contestants bring to their work. It fascinates me.

Quote Originally Posted by aname2 View Post
    I love this show. It has all the elements I personally like in a contestant/talent oriented reality show. It is judged by people who really know what they are judging and have been in the business a long time (unlike SYTYCD and others that are judged by an audience based on popularity and not skill). I love to see the creativity and imagination that the contestants bring to their work. It fascinates me.
    Though this may stoke their ego if they read this, I have to say that Face Off is probably the show now people should look at on how to run a reality show. Folks win or lose on their own accord, and more importantly they know it. There have only been two folks whom I felt were truly bad casting (Frank and the guy who quit), and that's out of four seasons.

Plus, the contestants are friendly toward each other, and interestingly enough the few who have the negative attitudes have it reflect in their work and that changes things real quick if they're saved. It is fascinating.

I just hope that we have a few more whimsy/beauty type challenges though - I do get a bit tired of the horror designs. There were a couple this go that bordered on the horror, and one - a bottom look, made a tree look like meat.
    pikachu, Florimel, Gala62 and 1 others like this.

Great posts, jade and aname!

I think it'd be GREAT if they threw the artists the curveball of having to design a MU around a costume. PARTICULARLY if that costume was the EXACT SAME ONE for ALL of 'em! Personally, I think such a challenge would REALLY serve to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

FO is one of my all-time reality-show faves, if not THE all-time reality show fave of mine. I appreciate the creativity and artistry. I, too, appreciate how these guys and gals pitch in and help each other when things go haywire. Like, say, when they're working on their individual MUs. Or, when there's a team challenge and they sit and brainstorm as a team, then work together as a team to produce what they need to. "No man is an island!" are words that CERTAINLY apply, here, and I love seeing that. It's a full-on, real representation of what their working world is.

As for RJ . . .

When he mentioned "beehive" and they showed that lovely, vintage photo of his mom from the 60s, I was thinking he'd produce a drop-dead, gorgeous MN complete with a rocking beehive hairdo, and build off that beehive hairdo as a starting point, somehow.

But, no. His Achilles' heel was that he just DIDN'T "fight the funny" that lives within him when he needed to, and it ultimately wound up costing him dearly.

As for the judges, I do like and respect ALL of them, too. Even when their opinions don't dovetail, I know it's NEVER because any of them don't have a clue in hell what's going on on that stage with the makeup. Every last one of 'em CLEARLY knows what they're talking about when they're giving their critiques of each MU.

This show is NOT DWTS!

Couple of thoughts about a couple of the other MUs:

Eddie. Bless his heart. His really DID wind up looking like a man (King Arthur, maybe!) in drag! And how he managed that on a pretty female model, I've YET to figure out!

Cute as he is, he just might not be too long for this world. I think he needs to marinate a bit and learn more through real-world experience about his craft.

Tate. I'm sorry, but I thought his was absolutely HIDEOUS. God help his poor mother if he could REALLY see her in that near-sighted-looking cockroach thingy that he wound up producing!

Laura? Gotta give it up to her. That was one HELL of a MU/costuming job, on her part!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Newbie

So I went back and rewatched this episode and during the credits they had this message: 'During the taping of this episode, it became apparent that a rules violation occurred. The producers took the action they deemed appropriate to address and remedy the situation.'

Anyone have any idea what they were talking about? I didn't really notice anything that looked like a rule violation when watching the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by dusk10 View Post
    So I went back and rewatched this episode and during the credits they had this message: 'During the taping of this episode, it became apparent that a rules violation occurred. The producers took the action they deemed appropriate to address and remedy the situation.'

Anyone have any idea what they were talking about? I didn't really notice anything that looked like a rule violation when watching the episode.
    Most likely what happened was something say a designer called someone without the open mike or recording it, or something relatively minor. What could've happened was one of the bottom looks that week ended up being put on the bottom for that reason as a warning to not do it again.

It obviously wasn't something that disqualified a contestant, because Face Off - while it IS overall a clean show as far as following rules - WILL call out any type of cheating or bad play in the contest.

Examples - bad play: the fellow who quit - Mackenzie made it very clear that he was disqualifed the moment he walked off the set.

"Cheating" of sorts - Megan in Season one not using any prosthetics in her makeup and did a beauty makeup. (Bit of a stretch, but a comparison would be Miranda not using enough of the parachute material for the first "PR" contest this season, and therefore she was a bottom look.

And well... RJ's makeup that week was hideous you wouldn't have needed to invoke any penalty for cheating - he really was the worst that week.

FORT Newbie

Oh no doubt RJ deserved to be eliminated this episode for his make up, I wasn't trying to suggest that that was the reason he was sent home. I was just wondering what could have warranted them tagging on that little disclaimer at the end of the episode when there really didn't seem to be any rule breaking going on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12