+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 9/3 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 4

Re: 9/3 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 4

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    It was the challenge where they had to age three people to different ages, and IIRC, they used triplets as the models. (First they introduced two, and then they added the third.) The show replaced the model who had to leave because of the allergies, and I think they gave her (the artist) more time to finish the third model? (Maybe it's in our notes? But I don't remember which season it was.)
    Was that RJ's season? And was he the one who had to REALLY work it after the replacement model came in? Because her head measurements were SO different from the original triplet's?
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    In regard to your spoiler jadewarlock, didn't one of the designers have the same issue with their model in a previous season? I can't remember what the outcome was but I do remember their was an issue with the makeup. I would think the models would and should know if they had any type of allergy.
    I agree with your post.
    I'm looking forward to next week. I'll be interested to see Tate's beauty design or not.
    There have been 3 that I recall.

1. The aforementioned aging one the person that tried to put the makeup on but found out that they were allergic to the latex.

2. A make up that actually made it to the reveal stage but then the person had to take it off immediately because they found out they had a reaction to the material used.

3. a nude bodypaint challenge. This was the last one where they had two people in the mural one who had to blend into it and the other one who what's a character. In this particular case one of them was just sick under the weather, and what happened was the designer got an extra 3 or 4 hours I think to paint the new person in the body paint and then have them shot on film for the mural.

This actually will be the first time that the model as to drop out right before the reveal at last looks. What I do think will happen for Laney I think that's who it is... the judges will allow her to make up a new model to judge.

And I say this because while we would hope that the models know if they're allergic to something there are occasions where you will find out that you are allergic to something you didn't know you were.

They wouldn't disqualify her for something that is beyond her control. I mean, this actually happens daily in the industry.
    inthegarden likes this.

Gee, that allergy issue goes way back as far as The Wizard of Oz. Buddy Ebsen was originally cast as the Tin Man, but had to leave the part after his allergy to the aluminum dust gave his skin that silver look sent him to the hospital with a severe allergic reaction.
    mom2 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Gee, that allergy issue goes way back as far as The Wizard of Oz. Buddy Ebsen was originally cast as the Tin Man, but had to leave the part after his allergy to the aluminum dust gave his skin that silver look sent him to the hospital with a severe allergic reaction.
    Oh, yeah.

I remember hearing/reading about that, Flo. I was shocked to find out that Jed Clampett was the Tin Man BEFORE Jack Haley, and that he had to leave the movie because of Tin Man makeup issues.

That happened WAAAAAAAAAY back, in, what? The late 30s?
    Last edited by ness; 09-04-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

The Wizard of Oz was filmed in 1939. interestingly enough when Haley was cast as the Tin Man, they switched to a different silver type paint in order to ensure that he didn't suffer the same issues Buddy Ebsen did.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    The Wizard of Oz was filmed in 1939. interestingly enough when Haley was cast as the Tin Man, they switched to a different silver type paint in order to ensure that he didn't suffer the same issues Buddy Ebsen did.
    Really??

Talk about closing the barn door after half of the horse is already OUT of it!

I would've been PISSED if I was Buddy!!!!!

Another interesting tidbit is that before Ebsen was cast, they had already hired Ray Bolger as the Tin Man, but Ray said he wanted to do the Scarecrow, which he'd be better at. Boy, was he right. Could anyone have danced a better Scarecrow than Ray Bolger, one of my all time favorite movie dancers? Buddy Ebsen was a well-known song and dance man at the time, but he didn't come close to Bolger.
    ness and jadewarlock like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Another interesting tidbit is that before Ebsen was cast, they had already hired Ray Bolger as the Tin Man, but Ray said he wanted to do the Scarecrow, which he'd be better at. Boy, was he right. Could anyone have danced a better Scarecrow than Ray Bolger, one of my all time favorite movie dancers? Buddy Ebsen was a well-known song and dance man at the time, but he didn't come close to Bolger.
    Yep.

You're RIGHT.

I recall that Ebsen was a son-and-dance man, back in the day. I remember seeing him do one of his old soft-shoe, song-and-dance routines (from in the days LOOOONNNNGGG before "The Beverly Hillbillies" was even THOUGHT about!) when he was a guest on "The Tonight Show". Johnny'd asked him to get up and do something from his very early showbusiness days, that most people wouldn't've known he'd ever done.

And yep, that was YEARS ago, when he was on "Tonight". I remember being shocked when I saw that because I had no CLUE that he'd been around long enough to've been a song-and-dance man back when that particular performance art was a showbusiness staple and norm.

Matter of fact, that particular "Tonight" show might've even been where I found out that Buddy Ebsen had been cast as The Tin Man BEFORE Jack Haley, I think, because IIRC, they talked about that.

And no, I can't even IMAGINE Buddy Ebsen coming anywhere NEAR Bolger as The Scarecrow. I'm sure he was an excellent dancer, but The Scarecrow was and IS Ray Bolger.

Just as Buddy Ebsen was, IS, and always WILL be Jed Clampett and Barnaby Jones.

Everything happens as its meant to, I guess.

But I DO sometimes wonder how things would've turned out for all the actors involved if BE hadn't been allergic to that Tin Man makeup.

From what I've seen of his makeup design, and heard of him singing the "If I only had a Heart" song (which was a special feature on an old VHS anniversary of the movie - maybe 1989 for the 50th?) he would've been very good as the Tin Man. They had him in costume and at least most of his makeup. If I recall correctly though - the photo stills I saw too also show Judy Garland in the blonde wig and heavier makeup they had originally considered using for Dorothy Gale. They made her a bit more of a china doll designed country girl instead of the way Garland eventually looked.

(It's interesting that we have an good discussion that is related to the show - how makeups can truly affect the wearer and how to be careful to ensure the safety of the person who is wearing the makeup... and using something that is going on its 75th year).
    Florimel likes this.

Yes, jade, ITA that this discussion is an interesting one.

To take it even a step further . . .

They're doing beauty makeups next week, right?

OK.

Didja know that Gale Sondergaard was the original choice for the role of The Wicked Witch in the '39 Wizard of Oz movie? And that one of the original makeup tests for Sondergaard featured The Wicked Witch as a GLAMOROUS BEAUTY?

Check THESE out:

The Mary Sue • Gale Sondergaard in a wardrobe test for

Google Image Result for http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loiv3lwpSG1qa70eyo1_500 .jpg

I guess you could say the first pic is a representation of what a 1938(?)/39 beauty makeup would be.

As for the second, well, it's interesting to me that Sondergaard backed out of the role because she was afraid that looking like an ugly witch would ruin her career. And frankly, JMHO, I don't know what that Sondergaard ugly witch test looked like in color, but that particular ugly witch wardrobe test pic seemed pretty tame to me, considering what Margaret Hamilton wound up looking like in the role!

Again, I suppose things happen as they're meant to, because I cannot IMAGINE anyone else BUT Margaret Hamilton as The Wicked Witch!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast