+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jadewarlock

Thread: 8/27 Face Off Veterans vs. Newbies Episode 3

8/27 Face Off Veterans vs. Newbies Episode 3

I will say tonight that this was a warranted double elimination. The design was not well thought out in the anatomy issue and it didn't look whimsical.

The challenge was Mother Goose Nursery rhymes done in a modern whimsical way.

I loved the top looks and the two safe looks. The Cat and the Fiddle, Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater, and Humpty Dumpty were my favorites. I definitely agreed with the winners - Tate and Miranda with the pumpkin. I wish they both were allowed the win, but Miranda's weathering the character really helped.

I do agree too with the note on painting with Humpty Dumpty however - Lyma does need to learn where and when to place patterns. The only problem I had with the egg was that it didn't have a proper color texture of the egg - however slight. (I wonder if the judges noticed though she DID have some yolk spilling out.

The bottom looks - well, they were Laura and Frank's spider (which I agree with but not surprised - Frank STILL hasn't learned anything) and Eric Z. and a newbie's crooked man. The newbie and Eric Z. were eliminated. Here Vee was right - they needed to just angle the man, not make him basically a contortionist. TO angle the man into crooked would be hard, but not impossible, i.e. a possible prosthetic that went on the guy's back and had him walk leaned over on a cane to create a "S or N" type shape.

Laura and Frank's would've been improved if they had at least created a mob cap and maybe a tuffet or mushroom - just something that was a bit cuter than a spider with the rose (which was cute and the guy worked the mandibles well, but it was just too basic).

Roy and RJ's is my favorite because the character was to the point of whimsy and the near plastic form of the cat's face worked well with blending in the fact he was also the fiddle. I think they and the Moon were safe because there were just so many GOOD looks this week and they had to declare someone middle of the road or there wouldn't be enough time for critiques. My only complaint with the moon was that the texture was just a smidge off.

Not a bad episode and it was nice to not really see any truly horrid makeups.
    Duckyface likes this.

Re: 8/27 Face Off Veterans vs. Newbies Episode 3

Well said Jade. I have nothing to add other than I was glad they had three top looks this week because they deserved it. I'd go so far as to say that other than the eyes not blending well the cat should have been among the top looks as well. Good jobs by the contestants this week!

I was shocked by Laura and Frank (well not Frank really, but definitely Laura!). That design was my bottom look. The crooked man definitely had many faults, but it was a complete makeup. the spider looked amateurish and tacky. Definitely thought Frank should've gone home over those dumb legs.

Loved Humpty - so different and fresh. The pumpkin was good, but I felt it still read dark, rather than whimsical.

The cat & violin? My first thought when they were talking about it was NO! It's too close to what was done with the cello. Still a good look, face seemed too dark/muddy though.

Moon girl? meh, to me, nothing special, they got lucky.

I get the pig's whimsy. I don't want to ever see it again. LOL
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

I wish too that Frank left instead of Eric. I think he brought Laura down to his level just like Rick did with Eric. I never thought Rick was very good at all so I was expecting him to be eliminated very soon after that very amateurish makeup of cosplayer in the first spotlight challenge. I didn't think Lyma is very good either. Her forte is makeup yet she gets criticized for it everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    I wish too that Frank left instead of Eric. I think he brought Laura down to his level just like Rick did with Eric. I never thought Rick was very good at all so I was expecting him to be eliminated very soon after that very amateurish makeup of cosplayer in the first spotlight challenge. I didn't think Lyma is very good either. Her forte is makeup yet she gets criticized for it everytime.
    I thought her use of the makeup was one of the things the judges pointed out as being really well done. I may have missed something but I didn't hear criticism of it at all.

Glenn said - and this was for him a relatively minor criticism, that he can tell which paint job is Lyma's because she does the same splatter paint through a door screen piece. He wants to see her do something different in the painting.

She isn't run through the coals for it however - especially as he also said that this makeup was one he could see as being film ready as it was.

My critique more was that it should've been varied - eggs are not all brown in one spot and when it's broken as they designed Miss Humpty, they wouldn't be all brown toward the ground. Some pieces would have it up, in the middle, etc.

Frank though - you could tell HE was the one who did the paint job on - body wise - was (Dr. Octo) Lovespider. (I had wondered what the bodyshape reminded me of with four long arms and that was it).

Though - Dr. Octo Lovespider sounds like a good name.

Lyma's airbrush technique is even criticized by her fellow contestants not just the judges. That being said, the other girl with dark hair that is always getting paired with Alana is cruising by only because she's being teamed up with a veteran. They have to stop these team challenges, I'm not a fan of it. I hope they have more individual challenges unless each artist has to create their own character within the team. Maybe Frank leaves next Episode. When I first saw their creation, I was like...ugh! Those arms were bad, and the man's arms don't even look like the other appendages. It's not whimisical overall but lucky for him the crooked man was worse. I wish Eric and Laura was paired while Rick and Frank should hav been teamed up.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

That arm on the back was horrible, yes. I didn't pay attention to the episode much until the design show.

But I liked the first challenge where they had to create that demon drag queen. I agreed with picking Roy as the winner.

Random off-the-top-of-the-head thoughts . . .

I agree that this was a warranted doubleheader elim. Since Eric fought his way back into the door, I was hoping like hell that he'd make it farther than he did.

Oh, well.

I cannot, for the LIFE of me, figure out WHY he and Rick did not have a CLUE about their crooked man, and that it wasn't so much crooked, as it was DEFORMED. I DO recall Rick saying it maybe wasn't WHIMSICAL. Which was EXACTLY what was specified and called for in the instructions. So why in the HELL didn't they change direction when it became apparent to at least ONE of them that the whimsey in their piece was NOWHERE to be found? I mean, that arm on the back? Please. I was DONE when I saw that.

Laura and Frank. IMHO, Laura cut her OWN throat. She put her focus on being glad to work with Frank, RATHER than having her focus where it SHOULD have been, which was on the MAKEUP and how it looked as it was being created and how it looked overall at final looks. I'm no artist, but even I could see that those legs/appendages blew chunks. Also, I'm trying to figure out HOW they thought focusing on the SPIDER --- rather than Miss Muffet --- was the way to go. I mean, the rhyme even starts OUT with the words: "Little Miss Muffet . . .", so I really don't understand how they thought they could COMPLETELY dismiss her from their makeup and have that look fly. Even IF their spider'd wound up looking good. To me, there was NO logical thought or common sense behind anything they did, so they deserved being in the bottom and getting torn new ones.

Also, I clearly remember Ve remarking during the "Meet the Vets" show that she'd worked with Frank, and he had good stuff to offer (he just needed to erase his a-hole persona and let his work do the talking, THIS time around). Personally, I'm wondering just when it is that he plans on showing his "good stuff" during this season, or was it just that lightning happened to strike when he was working with Ve, and he was able to hold his artistic skills and workaday persona in the road then and impress her?

Honestly, as far as the vets go, I wouldn't shed tear one if he was out the door next.

I LOL at the pig and cat. They were very good, and I loved them both. Alana is really surprising me. Hope she can keep it up.

Far as the cat goes, I LOVED it! I DO have to say, however, that it had clear echoes on RJ's bellhop and Rayce's enchanted cellist. Even WITH that, I don't see or know what they could've done much differently that would've had the same impact as that cat INSIDE of the fiddle. REALLY liked the cat's face, but I wouldn't've minded if it'd been at least SLIGHTLY lighter in color, to contrast with the fiddle itself.

I liked Humpty, too. I'm glad Adolfo and Lyma were safe. However, Lyma ABSOLUTELY needs to learn how to do proper makeup painting. And no, I WASN'T wild about her walking off from Adolfo. Understand it? Yep, I could, and can, because Adolfo CLEARLY has a temper that he needs to learn how to rein in, if he's going to be a success at working with others. Lyma'd just had ENOUGH. And, OK, sometimes the best thing IS to just walk away from a situation that's apparently going --- or ABOUT to go --- downhill.

Still not wild about her having done that, though.

And speaking of working with others . . .

MHO is that there's no WAY they can cut the team challenges loose. Not and have any realism or credibility regarding what the industry is and what actually goes on in it, I think. This particular art is SO much a team-player, group-effort world. I remember remarks Glenn made during the "Meet the Vets" show about how, even though HE could do everything he asked of anybody in his shop, he would NEVER be able to sustain a special-effects makeup business if he couldn't work with others because there'd be no WAY he could pull off --- by HIMSELF --- the makeups he'd been contracted to create for his clients. I also remember them showing a clip of Michael Westmore calling Frank out about his behavior when he got elimned during the third show of his season (the first season). To paraphrase, Westmore told Frank that if he was going to be a success in the industry, he'd need to learn how to work and get along with others. And if he couldn't do that, then he probably needed to find something else to be doing with his life.

So, 86 the team challenges? Nah. Don't think that's gonna happen. And I wouldn't want it to, either. Why? Because when you've got two (or more) stellar artists working on a project, your chances of winding up with a totally stellar, fantastic result will most likely be off-the-charts better than average. And if you've got a situation where there's a stellar artist paired with a weak sister (or brother!), that'll usually be evident right off, too. If not in the final product, it'll come out in the "Who Did What Part of This Makeup?" breakdown on the show that the judges ALWAYS ask for. Example: Anthony and Alam's ice demon was (and is) spectacular. But, truth be told, it was ANTHONY who did most of the heavy lifting on that project, IIRC. Alam sculpted and molded the demon's feet and did the body painting, IIRC. When you look at the final project, the head, the double ears, etc., well, the feet and overall painting are wonderful, but it's the face/head that REALLY pack the most punch.

IMHO, that is.

And, oh yeah, I liked the pumpkin, too, but also agree that it read dark, to me.

Overall, a VERY satisfactory ep, I think!
    Last edited by ness; 09-01-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

For the team challenges, they should just limit it to 2 each. When they have 3, almost always, one of them will barely have any creative input in the work at all or do very minimal work.

+ Reply to Thread