+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 8/13 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 1

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

8/13 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 1

Wow. I know I was lazy about setting up a thread last night and didn't watch until today, but there was some terrific work - particularly by the vets. The newbs will get there once they shake off the nerves. Everyone seemed to go big or go home...well...the one newbie that actually did go big (as in head prosthetic) is the one that went home.

I don't have the names yet, but Miranda won the challenge. She was working with Alana with the pink/red hair. The vet team won the team part of the challenge. As I said, the newbies will shake off some nerves and, I think, produce some good work down the line.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 8/13 Face Off 5: Vets vs. Newbies Episode 1

I have to admit Miranda has improved by leaps and is really passionate about doing this. She earned her win with Alana.

I liked Laura's demon monster too - the vets for the most part have really worked hard to improve.

Agree with you on the newbies being green but given what they've produced already... I think this may be the start of a great season (and MacKenzie's comments then actually being true and not exaggerated as far as "being the biggest/best season ever.")

See most networks - THIS is how you do a versus challenge: good talent on both sides and make it a fun competition. (And yes, I may be speaking too soon, but in fairness, this show has given many contestants a stepping stone to getting gigs. This is true especially as most - I can name a couple who weren't - seem to always make sure to show they are kind, polite and will help others).

Aldolfo's makeup was one of the weakest ones there and while he did deserve to go home, I think the one of the two designers who made the makeup that Glen criticized as being made out of paper mache should've gone home.

Now, assessing the makeups I wanted to make a couple of notes for the vets' side:

Frank, RJ & Eric's ogre - wow, they failed the proportion issue didn't they? The head is so tiny it's not funny. When I saw the arms, I thought - "OK, where did they sneak Ron in so he could do the far too big sculpts?" because I seriously thought Ron was there.

Roy's faun... admittedly, I liked the newbie's better. I think Ron overthought the placement of the eyes and the rest of the face. It's not a bad design, but ironically I think this is his weakest work to date - even worse than putting the red wig on the snake head for the "Grimm" challenge.

Tate's ogre... is... disturbing to say the least. Effective but Tate still does a whole lot of gore doesn't he when he's given the chance?

And I still think Laura's Witch and Alana/Miranda's Pixie were outstanding.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 08-14-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Great start to the season. I really like the new girl Laney, her pixie was great & of course there's my girl Laura awesome as always.

I wish they would put out a list of some sort about which folks from these shows have gotten jobs in the industry & what they have, or are, working on.

I agree with both of your post. I was shocked at how well Miranda did in both challenges. She took the lead on the Pixie and did an outstanding job.
    Laney reminds me of Laura in her technique. I'll be interested to see what type of work those two would turn out if they are paired in a challenge. They are my favorites so far this season.
    Eddie had some nice pieces in his introduction.
    I'm interested to see what type of work Lyma does as the season moves along.
    I like both Roy and Tate's work, but as usual, it was very complicated and almost too much detail.
    What a great start to the season.

I don't know who that guy on the Spotlight challenge who just did a body paint (instead of actual makeup) on his model. He just painted tiger stripes on the model's sides and face. Very unoriginal and that was really bad. I don't even know how he qualified for this competition. I can see the vets obliterating all the newbs.

Glad Laura is back. She should have won her season (and she wouldn't be called back) and if she won this time, then the judges would know they made a mistake. That season's winner should have been made to come back this Season instead.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I wish they would put out a list of some sort about which folks from these shows have gotten jobs in the industry & what they have, or are, working on.
    if you search for the contestants on imdb.com, you'll see what films they've worked on in the past up through what film's they're currently working on.

For instance, here's Conor's imdb page Conor McCullagh - IMDb and Tate's Tate Steinsiek - IMDb

That's only for film work though - some may do some work for stage productions.

Also, some contestants have their own web pages - here's Anthony's page Kosart Effects Studios

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

J. Anthony Kosar - IMDb

Here is Anthony's.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread