+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 2/6 episode thread

2/6 episode thread

I liked tonight's challenge - but was disappointed with how many people went with horror.

Few points:

1. The blob monster really didn't incorporate candy in the way that it's recognizable as candy. It looked like syrup, therefore should be lucky the bottom three had worse looks.

2. Alam's makeup was quite nice and creepy but pretty at the same time. She also is a better designer of candy clothing than a lot of the "Project Runway" designers last season. I wasn't too surprised she didn't win, but I think she was second of the top three looks.

3. The character with the monster stomach - clever idea. He hurt himself though by not ensuring that the makeup was seamless by painting at least 4 inches further than where the clothing covered the arms. Still - I like the fact the model even made it work better. This wasn't asthetically my favorite (that goes to the winner and Alam's) but it was a good execution.

4. The winning design - good; however he was NOT the first person to break Andrew's streak. That belongs to the foundation challenge winner (Zach?)

5. Jenna is not long for this show - if she is in the bottom she's out. Her makeup was bad, but she did at least have everything attached to the body. And the candy was more visible.

6. The bottom look - didn't make sense at all, and was horribly put on. She probably hated with a passion she lost the foundation challenge - she was runner-up on it, and the prize was immunity.

7. I got bear in the third bottom look - the Muzzle looked right - but she pulled a Roy and it nearly cost her. (By this a wig). Did like the idea of using lollipops for the ears though.

8. Andrew's makeup was sculpturally sound once again; however, he wasn't a top look because the makeup didnt' incorporate much candy, just the nose and cheekbones. He did have plenty in the costume though - and I liked how use used the sliced hard candy lollipops as part of the medals.

9. The Foundation challenge was creative - though I admit that I was surprised one of the top two looks had issues with symmetry.

Overall not a bad episode, just wish there were a few more cute makeups in the mix - and definitely more successful makeups.

Re: 2/6 episode thread

I definitely disagreed with who went home this week. Autumn canNOT sculpt and her creations are hot messes. The other bottom looks were bad also, but I just think that god awful green "bear" was the absolute worst.

And again we have too many going the horror route. I don't know if Faceoff is recruiting from that arena too much (horror movies/games, haunted houses, etc) or if it's just in vogue. But yikes! All the gore and demented faces and oozing sores, not to mention pus and nasty mouths are just ... I guess...tiring? It just screams lack of imagination. It was refreshing to see Alam & Anthony go in a different direction. I would have put Alam, Anthony and the eventual winner in top looks with the same person winning (why can't I remember some of these guy's names! LOL).

House's concept was great but sooo unfinished looking.

Definitely not my favorite episode - interesting that so many seemed to struggle with such a simple, open-ended challenge.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

As far as I'm concerned, all three ladies in the bottom could have left this week. All of their creations were so bad, it was hard to decide which was worst. I'm annoyed that Jenna is still in it. I'm so tired of hearing about how much her hand is bothering her. I'm glad Ve pointed out that her design choices are crippling her more than her hand.

The idea of the creature with the mouth for the stomach was good but I thought the paint job was terrible. Too much contrast on the face made it look unfinished and cartoonish, in a bad way. Not cartoonish but with a purpose, like Alam's character.

Alam and Kris were definitely the best this week. I thought Alam's was the best overall because both the character and it's styling (clothing, props, etc) was done so well but I liked Kris's character better. I thought he made the best use of the candy, incorporating it into the body of his character instead of wearing it as clothing. Alam's character reminded me of Nicki Minaj in that annoying Pepsi commercial.

Anthony wasn't at his best this week. He tried so hard to be novel with the candy that it no longer looked like candy. I didn't find his character intriguing at all.

I don't know what Autumn was thinking giving her gummy bear a pink afro. If she had made rounded ears like gummy bears traditionally have, it would have looked better. Plus, are gummy bears usually green??? Something about the color of her character wasn't right to me. I think of gummy bears as being clear or translucent so I wish she had either put a coating on the skin to make it look glossy or tried to make the skin more human and just incorporate the gummy bear features in her model's face.

Eric F.'s character reminded me of the creature in the Thing, when it's revealed in it's true state while in-between changing shapes. When it got in the dog pen and was absorbing the dogs, it looked a lot like Eric's blob. I don't really get "candy" from his design, even though his model is covered in it.

I agree with Gala that I thought candy would be an easy challenge so I was surprised the designers seemed so uninspired by it.
    Last edited by pikachu; 02-06-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    4. The winning design - good; however he was NOT the first person to break Andrew's streak. That belongs to the foundation challenge winner (Zach?)
    I think you mean Anthony.

I liked Alum's makeup too. It felt very Harijuku girl/anime AND it worked with the challenge.

I SO wish they had sent Autumn home instead of Alex. Alex's work was pretty bad, but Autumn seems to have a total lack of taste and judgment about what looks good and what doesn't.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

jadewarlock, yes! (Although it was Eric Z, not Zach.) I said the exact same thing...that Eric Z broke Anthony's streak...because Anthony had won everything to that point.

I really wish more had left the horror behind. This should have been a fun, bright challenge, not a quest to see who could make candy look the vilest. (Even getting the guest judge they had shows that they were thinking the same thing. You don't bring in the guy who helps Katy Perry if you're expecting horror. At least, not to my way of thinking.)
    Gala62 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think you mean Anthony.

I liked Alum's makeup too. It felt very Harijuku girl/anime AND it worked with the challenge.

I SO wish they had sent Autumn home instead of Alex. Alex's work was pretty bad, but Autumn seems to have a total lack of taste and judgment about what looks good and what doesn't.
    Yep, I meant Anthony. (And same on the correction from TripleGemini ) I'm still getting used to the names - because the ONLY reason I know Alum's is because she is named after an item that you can grow crystals out of (large eight sided squares/pyramids).

I noticed too that Alum - at least for this challenge - colored the silicone properly. It was interesting to see because Glen had to touch it to figure out what it was - and usually when they've done silicone a lot of times, they can tell it right off.

I admit I liked Alex's idea better; however Autumn probably won because she secured all her pieces - even with bad seams - while Autumn didn't. And I wonder if the fact Alex had the second best design in the facial hair foundation challenge that when she failed so bad in this design they felt like it was inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    jadewarlock, yes! (Although it was Eric Z, not Zach.) I said the exact same thing...that Eric Z broke Anthony's streak...because Anthony had won everything to that point.

I really wish more had left the horror behind. This should have been a fun, bright challenge, not a quest to see who could make candy look the vilest. (Even getting the guest judge they had shows that they were thinking the same thing. You don't bring in the guy who helps Katy Perry if you're expecting horror. At least, not to my way of thinking.)
    Really there were ways to make some of these horror ones look cute. You have the one with the mouth stomach that had it been painted better really would've looked cute.

The only ones that seemed cute were the lollipop one, Anthony's, Alum's, the one that won (he was a bit of the horror type yes, but there was a cuteness to him), and one other one but I don't know the name and can't describe it right off the top of my head.

That's at best half, but more likely less than half.

Jenna's Struggles | Face Off | Syfy Video | Syfy

Face Off, like Top Chef, is presenting a web series of redemption challenges for those who are cut during the show. The final winner will earn a spot in next season's show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I thought Alum and Anthony's characters should stand together as a set. Both had the same philosophy (except Alam's was more based in anime) and pastel color schemes. The doll could very well have been the consort of the Colonel.

I giggled when the guest judge was surprised that horror was so the mode - even with candy.

I agree with Chris as the winner, though I wanted Alum. His infusion of the candy was spot on. I also agree with the loser choice as she used only small silicone pieces that were stuck on and the edges weren't finished. She tried something she had never done and it backfired.

The last four (including the latest) eliminated compete for a second chance at being a contestant next season. Use the link I provided to SyFy to watch the competition judged by Glen Hedtrick.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

First off, general thoughts:

I really like how the artists are so respectful of McKenzie's dad, and refer to him as "Mr. Westmore". When he's been on before, I've noticed that whenever he's introduced by McKenzie to any of the artists, he always says: "Hi, Mike Westmore." Very down-to-earth, very laid back. I'm impressed with how they all seem to refer to him as "Mr. Westmore" in their PIs, and show him that level of respect that is his due.

That's really great to see.

One thing that's irritating me about the in-the-lab visits while the makeups and costumes are being constructed THIS season: I had gotten VERY used to seeing McKenzie doing sort of a "debriefing" with whoever the mentor/adviser was about the ongoing constructions AFTER he or she'd gone around the lab and offered tips/suggestions for their works-in-progress. This year, seems as though they've scrapped THAT part of the lab visits. I hope not. I hope they're just waiting until the herd has thinned to bring those back, because I found those to be VERY informative and interesting. They were also a good barometer later on for whether or not an artist actually LISTENED to what they'd been told by the expert, or were hardheaded, ran out of time, greedy because they didn't want to 86 something they'd planned already, etc.

I hope they bring those debriefings back!

Onward!

Like what seems to be most or all of the rest of you, I didn't care for the horror slant that most of these makeups took, either. I don't know, maybe it's a sign of the times and age that we're in, but it irritates the HELL out of me that unless other parameters are explicitly shoved down their throats (i.e., "old age", "beauty", etc.), the majority of them kind of seem to always skew toward the horror aspect of a makeup. Eric F., for example, lit up like a Christmas tree and had a grand old time melting down Gummi Bears to make a sick-looking orange blob.

Oh, well, at least it couldn't be said that he didn't use candy in his creation, I guess.

Really do wish we could go back to the Dark Ages when makeup artists seemed to be able to handle all different kinds of makeup from every spectrum imaginable. I don't HATE horror makeup; matter of fact, I quite like it. But it seems to me that if that's ALL you can do, or the ONLY slant you can put on a makeup that's not specifically presented to you as having to be done (again, "old age", "beauty", etc.), then I've got to stop and ask just why is it you call yourself a makeup artist. I'm not saying you could or should be able to execute EVERY type of makeup perfectly. But if all or most of your workups end up with a horror slant, that, to me, is a problem.

I understand why Kris won. I will also say that HIS makeup was NOT my favorite. I liked Alam's () and Anthony's the best of the lot. I wish Anthony'd incorporated more obvious candy into his design. But as far as the brightness and playfulness of his design, since this had to do with candy, I liked his better than Kris'.

I am very, VERY happy for Alam that she found her niche this week and turned out a really good design. I absolutely LOVED how she used the candy as a major part of her anime doll's outfit, too.

I'm sorry, but I laughed my a$$ off when Eric F. said his actor was stuck to the floor. I'm also sorry, because a teeny, tiny part of me was hoping he wouldn't be able to unstick him by stage time. I'm sorry, I just COULD NOT HELP THAT!!!

I am in complete and TOTAL agreement with pikachu that all the bottom artists, Jenna, Autumn and Alex, needed to GO. Autumn's as clueless, delusional and damn near completely talentless as they come. I mean, A PINK FRO ON A GUMMI BEAR??? Please.

ETA: I cracked up AGAIN when Glenn told Autumn that when he thought the best part of a makeup was the costume, you've got issues. I think at that point, Autumn was wishing/hoping/praying the floor would just open up and swallow her whole!

Alex cut her own throat by doing something that made no logical story sense, in the first place, and that really had a pi$$ poor excuse for badly-applied makeup, in the second place.

Personally, mean as this might sound, I have to wonder if Jenna was aware of the tumor in her hand when she first applied to be on FaceOff. I mean, I don't know how long it was between her initial application and the selection process, and the taping of the first show, but her hand seems to be in a bad, bad way. And seems to have gotten that way very, very quickly. And seems to be getting worse with every week that goes by. I understand that Jenna wants to compete. But she's NOT going to win. And each week, it seems like she wastes her time and makes herself look worse and worse, to boot. Not only that, I happen to agree with Ve that if you take the issue of her bum hand out of it, she really doesn't seem to come up with stuff that comes together well in a logical, commonsensical way, anyway. Or even looks passably good.

So far, I guess, them's my thoughts.
    Last edited by ness; 02-06-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    pikachu and Gala62 like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast