+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 1/29 Face Off 4 Show Thread - Demons from Around the World

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

1/29 Face Off 4 Show Thread - Demons from Around the World

Can you believe Anthony WON again! This time in a team challenge with Alum. On his contestant page it says that he owns his own effects studio and has interned with Stan Winston on Avatar and Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. He is ONLY 26 years old! WOW! He wanted to take their Hindu Demon in the direction of beauty rather than grossness and succeeded. This is his fourth win in a row and he and Alum worked really well together. We hardly saw them as they didn't bring any drama to the work station.

Oh, yeah, and someone went home - one of the red heads, but not the one with the tumor in her hand that affects her ability to sculpt.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 1/29 Face Off 4 Show Thread - Demons from Around the World

Anthony?

Whoah.

He's only 26, but the guy is brilliant. Smart, too. He understands that he's got a huge load and a major target on his back.

Oh, well, if you're good, you're GOOD.

More thoughts, etc., later.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Most lopsided season ever? I'm not really complaining - Anthony would be a good winner.

Not surprised at who went, considering the last two episodes.

I've been really impressed with Anthony's work, but I wish he'd lose the bandana/headband thing and get a haircut. He looks like a reject from The Karate Kid.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I thought the girl with the tumor in her hand should go home. It doesn't matter how great her ideas might be if the pain in her hand prevents her from executing them on time. All the other contestants have the potential to improve after this. I wonder why she hasn't had the tumor removed? Did it come up recently or can she not afford the surgery? How is she going to make a living sculpting with her hands with that disability? I had to wonder last night why Katie didn't do most of the sculpting and have her do the painting instead.

Anthony is by far the best designer there. He well deserved this third win.

I was unable to watch this last night so I'm going by photos. I'm going to only comment about the winning and losing looks - the rest were good but the way they were listed by Pikachu sum up my feelings on them (though I think the snake hand looks stupid even if the demon has three faces).

1. Anthony & Alam’s winning look - I liked the idea of going beauty horror and not flat out ugly horror on this demon. There was still that scare effect and it's nice to see someone create a character that is enchanting to look at but could steal your heart. Don't know how much Alum did but whatever she did complimented Anthony's work.

My hope is that Anthony - who I can see winning this thing, doesn't burn out like Ron did and start overthinking things.

2. Jesse and Erica's monster - bad design and the walking sticks for legs were designed FAR TOO TALL to work. In order for those legs to work you cut them to where the model's arms when leaning on them look straight legged. A good example of this design would be Brittany from "ANTM cycle 4's" Neutrogena giraffe photo. I don't know if this editing would've saved the look, but that was the biggest glaring and FAKE look there.

I like the idea for next week; however watch someone turn candy into blood and gore horror. In fact, the sheer fact that Anthony and Alum went for a BEAUTY demon shows thinking outside the box and that's something I've been wanting to see in this show - not just all horror and gore and sci-fi weird.
    pikachu and Florimel like this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I agree, jade! I don't know why so many of the designers go straight to Horror, as if there is no other genre of special effects. I love it when designers get out of that box and show us what else they can do. You don't have to make your model covered in gore or looking like a creature from another world to create stunning special effects. Too often the gore seems to be used to cover up an unimaginative design.

LOVED the winning design! Is there such a thing as a classy, sexy, scary demon? wow - Anthony is a serious talent - right now I can't think of anyone who is even running a close second - maybe freaky Eric? Except he lives in "horror-ville" which is boring to me, so I'm not sure really.

ITA that the redhead with the hand tumor should have gone home (I cannot get some of these names straight yet! lol). The head sculpt was a mess, but those walking appendages were also hideous. The only saving grace was that they knew they bombed. Autumn is clueless. She really thinks she is the next winner. sorry sweetie.
    ness likes this.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62 View Post
    LOVED the winning design! Is there such a thing as a classy, sexy, scary demon? wow - Anthony is a serious talent - right now I can't think of anyone who is even running a close second - maybe freaky Eric? Except he lives in "horror-ville" which is boring to me, so I'm not sure really.

ITA that the redhead with the hand tumor should have gone home (I cannot get some of these names straight yet! lol). The head sculpt was a mess, but those walking appendages were also hideous. The only saving grace was that they knew they bombed. Autumn is clueless. She really thinks she is the next winner. sorry sweetie.
    Gala, I don't think there's anybody with any degree of sight or common sense that won't agree with you that there is, indeed, such a thing as a classy, sexy, scary demon. Why? Because Anthony created one. Oh, I'm not saying that Alam's paw casts weren't good. But facts are facts: Anthony was the driving and creative force behind that whole creature. Alam, frankly, just took direction from Anthony and did exactly what he TOLD her to do. WHEN he told her to do it. And had Alam not been paired with him, I'm willing to BET you that HER behind probably would've been in the bottom with Autumn and Katie. So, the makeup gods smiled on her and paired her up with Anthony, this week.

And she KNOWS that.

Jenna (i.e., Hand Tumor), in a perfect world, SHOULD have gone home. But I think that she didn't ONLY because Katie's hand appendages were SO huge, and SO wrong, and SO obvious, that the judges had no other recourse BUT to 86 her before Jenna, due to the fact that those hideous "walkers" were the first things that drew your attention. They looked like sawed-off, painted broom handles with Walmart bags wrapped around the tops of them, and tied into place with leather shoe strings.

Also, when Katie took the lead explaining their creation and who was responsible for what, it came out of HER mouth that Jenna wasn't able to sculpt as well as she should have been, due to the fact that her hand was messed up. Remember when Tommy trashed Joe? Admittedly, he was right in everything he was saying (and BOY, did he have a right to be PISSED!). But when he said that he was sorry, and he didn't want to throw anybody under the bus, Glenn responded with: "Well, you kinda DID!" Seems to me like the judges are NOT wild about a team member bringing up their partner's weaknesses. They'll ask who did what on each job, listen, ask other questions if they want to, draw their own conclusions, then make their decisions. It's what they're PAID to do. Jenna's head sculpt was bad, too, but she was able to manage enough to where it wasn't as blatantly in-your-face awful as Katie's "walkers" and back appendage.

And, ugly to say as this is, with that hand, HT is gonna crash and burn sooner, or later.

Oh, and is it just me, or did that headband around their demon's head kinda remind anybody else of the little headbands they put on infant baby girls? Without a bow, or rosette?

And did that fur hanging around its neck kinda remind anyone else of a stole you might see paired with an evening gown, or something?

Just askin'.

Autumn?

I now very fondly think of her as The Queen of Meltdowns and Delusion (i.e., QMD). How in the name of the holy living God above could anybody that WASN'T living in the Land of Delusion POSSIBLY reach the conclusion that a DEMON would be ADORABLE in ANY sense of that word? And a messy, poorly-executed demon, at that? I mean, COME ON! THEY WEREN'T DESIGNING pieces to be sold in Toys 'R' Us, after all! Delusional? IIRC, Autumn even said in a PI that Anthony was her biggest competition! And I'm no fan of Alex, but I have to give her props for having sense enough to back up and off, let Autumn have her head during design and creation, and shoot her mouth off and prove herself a delusional fool at judging.

Autumn DEFINITELY put herself on the judges' radar.

And NOT in a good way.
    Arielflies likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Actually, I don't have a problem with the idea of an adorable demon but it still needs to be well-executed. They have those ugliest dog competitions which prove that something can be so ugly, it's cute. If a demon can be beautiful, why not adorable?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast