+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 1/29 Face Off 4 Show Thread - Demons from Around the World

Re: 1/29 Face Off 4 Show Thread - Demons from Around the World

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Actually, I don't have a problem with the idea of an adorable demon but it still needs to be well-executed. They have those ugliest dog competitions which prove that something can be so ugly, it's cute. If a demon can be beautiful, why not adorable?
    pika . . .

OK. I think you're right in that something can be so ugly it's pretty, or cute. Reasonable point and observation. With those ugliest dog contests, though, I have to humbly say that I've never seen a winner from one of those at ALL that I, personally, thought was so ugly that they were cute.

Sorry.

Actually, to me, a perfect example of "so ugly it's cute" in FaceOff would have to be Roy's sidekick demon from last season in the Supermobile challenge. Now THAT little sucker? Yep, Roy said he was a demon (Chaos, I think he called him), and HIM, I'd call adorable.

So, that's a PERFECT example of what you're saying, I think.

But, then again, that was a "create a comic-book-type superhero and sidekick to match the various vehicles" challenge.

And I DO think and believe that Anthony's demon in this challenge DOES qualify as beautiful, sexy, classy.

With a figure to DIE for.

BITCH!

BUT . . . .

She was also scary, what with that long, pointed, hooked nose curling over the upper lip. The double set of nostrils. The folds at the top of the nose, the deep-set, dark-shadowed, demonic-looking eyes. The high forehead. The double set of horns. The blood-red lips and teeth/fangs coming out of the cheeks.

The artists weren't focusing on creating comic-book-type superhero and sidekick characters in THIS particular challenge. So, I can't really logically see how any of the demons in this particular challenge could/should/would/might read as "adorable".

I think the focus in THIS challenge WAS scary.

I mean, I can see a figure of Roy's demon sidekick being sold in Toys 'R' Us. I can't, however, see figures of ANY of the demons from THIS challenge being sold there.

And THAT's why my train goes off the tracks with Autumn saying she thought her demon was "adorable".

Idiot.

Just some thoughts/observations.

BTW . . .

THANKS FOR THE PICTURES!!!!!!!! KEEP 'EM COMING, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ness; 01-31-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I'm also bored silly with the idea that gore and horror are the only choices for make-up. I look at such shows as Farscape and Stargate for examples of both horrific and attractive creatures, and their look doesn't always match their characters or personalities.
    ness likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Anthony interned on Avatar so his idea that grotesque could be beautiful might have come from that experience.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Anthony interned on Avatar so his idea that grotesque could be beautiful might have come from that experience.
    Gotcha.

Sounds reasonable, to me!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I thought the girl with the tumor in her hand should go home. It doesn't matter how great her ideas might be if the pain in her hand prevents her from executing them on time. All the other contestants have the potential to improve after this. I wonder why she hasn't had the tumor removed? Did it come up recently or can she not afford the surgery? How is she going to make a living sculpting with her hands with that disability? I had to wonder last night why Katie didn't do most of the sculpting and have her do the painting instead.

Anthony is by far the best designer there. He well deserved this third win.
    You said everything I would have said. Thanks for saving me from having to find the words to express my thoughts

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I predict that there is a possibility Anthony's being set up to have an epic downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I predict that there is a possibility Anthony's being set up to have an epic downfall.
    Johnny . . .

Believe it or not, my mind has crossed this line, too.

Crossed it in the sense that "what goes up, must come down".

Meaning, by that, that I've felt --- sooner, or later --- Anthony is going to HAVE to have a "come to Jesus" moment. Maybe not in a big, EPIC way. Perhaps he'll not end up in the bottom two, but then again, he won't walk away with a win, either.

I believe he's smart enough to know it's coming, too. IIRC, after his win last week, he DID make some comment about that win putting him in a space where focus was on him, or something to that effect. And the WAY he said it read to me like --- while he was CERTAINLY happy to have won, AGAIN --- he wasn't exactly doing cartwheels about it, either, BECAUSE all his wins were placing him front and center. Also, realistically, good as he is, they're under such insane working conditions there (even the JUDGES have and do acknowledge this frequently), for him to NOT burn out and screw up at some point wouldn't be within the realm of possibility.

I know I'm DEFINITELY going to have my face jammed into the screen to see what's going to happen tonight!

Right now, my money's still on Anthony as the front runner and ultimate winner.

Barring an epic screwup, that is.

To be fair, I personally don't think Anthony should've won the superhero challenge. Being a comic boook geek myself, I thought the only good thing about his design was the head, everything else was just so off, I have no idea how he won. Here, I can see how he won, he and Alam did a good job, with him focusing on head, face and horns, and Alam with the feet and the painting, it was all so cohesive and definitely my favorite look.

But I don't understand either how EricF and Wayne were in the top with their barely painted demon with no working animatronics. Silhouette, that was a lot of what the judges said, but I don't care about the silhouette, it wasn't complete. What I like best in this show is when I can see the people emote and be able to show facial expressions even through heavy make-up, even if it's just the eyes, but with theis, we didn't even get that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12