+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pikachu
  • 1 Post By ness
  • 1 Post By razorbacker

Thread: 1/22 Face Off 4 Show Discussion

1/22 Face Off 4 Show Discussion

Wow...Anthony's on a roll :-) His superhero looked great even without the chest and back pieces. (He couldn't get the molds done in time, so he went with Plan B.)

I think he won over the other guy because he did what Jim Lee and the other guy at the beginning said...superheros almost always use the primary colors, and the other superhero was kinda pink and gray. (OK, not really, but that's what it looked like unless you were really close.)

I wasn't surprised at who went home...if you're on a show like Face Off, you really need to do some makeup. Or appliances. Not just a mask and costume.

(Note: I'm still a bit weak on all the names.)

Re: 1/22 Face Off 4 Show Discussion

ITA - Anthony paid attention. His colors popped on screen. Eric's story was cool - 40's era Dick Tracy type, but the flesh tones and grays all washed out. Good technical job though. I didn't care for House's anime girl. It looked more zombie/horror to me. I didn't get any superhero aspect at all.

I was sooo mad at the woman who did the eagle heroine - what an awesome concept! and she did...nothing. Well ok. she did big wings and some beauty makeup, but little else. That concept should have been so much MORE!
    The 70's heroine looked ok, but what was with the icky red eyes? Plus if that woman is going to cry at every single challenge? sigh....

Alam(?) is VERY lucky there were worse pieces this week. For her application to fail so badly and not be in bottom looks? The front was well done, but c'mon, there was no back to the piece. She needs to know when to edit and revise - look at Anthony.

Michael was absolutely the correct choice to go home. He did soo little and it was all bad, including his concept. Don't remember his background, but clearly fabrication wasn't anywhere in it!! LOL

Too many of them went down the familiar horror road and didn't create anything (in my mind) that remotely resembled SUPERHEROES!! The judges should really call them out on this. Horror is fine when it's the theme, but it shouldn't be crutch for every other challenge, just because it's what many of these people already do (horror houses, etc). I would love to see a challenge where they're specifically told if they use a horror application, they will automatically be in bottom looks!!

I think that's why the eagle one this week frustrated me so. Great idea and lame design. Well, at least it wasn't horror!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I liked the contestants much more on the first episode. Most of them did really well last week. This week, several of them did a terrible job.

I agree that the 70's heroine had too much red around the eyes and it spoiled what otherwise was a great look.

I didn't care for the Dick Tracy one. It looked more like a villain a superhero would fight against rather than a superhero itself.

The girl with the glass hero had a neat idea but she couldn't get the back pieces to stay on, ending up with a hole on the back of the costume (what made her think the judges wouldn't notice that??) and I didn't like the rest of the costume.

All in all, the volcano one was the best of the bunch, for the makeup and cowl. It's ironic because last week the volcano god was the losing look!

Once again, how can a contestant come on this show and not know much about comic book characters?? That would seem like a very common theme for makeup/special effects artists to deal with.

BTW, the guy who was eliminated this week (Michael) reminds me of Glenn Hetrick, like he's trying to look like a mini-Glenn.
    Last edited by pikachu; 01-23-2013 at 10:02 AM.

My thoughts - again - on last night:

I missed who was sent home but I agree that the guy who won - well the top three named - were deserving of having their designs turned into a DC comic character. The one that won - I think the lava guy - I think was stunning and YES what a true lava dude would look like. And yes, the robo hero was a bit gory, but in her case it actually meshed well with what he was creating and as Glenn said, would fit in the world of a Japanese version of a superhero (which is probably why it didn't win - I felt it was second of the three overall).

WAS surprised Alum wasn't in the bottom three - a hole in the back really truly IS a no-no as far as production or comic character makeup is. It really looked bad - HOWEVER I guess the clean edges on her makeup and the few spikes in his head had to have saved her - barely - from the bottom three. (well that and two of them didn't even really create a makeup, just fabricated masks, and the duct tape is a bigger no-no).

And I agree - you do a mask and no appliances, you should go home. Heck even Megan from season 1 doing a makeup and having the belly prosthetic for her disguise was more than a couple of these designs tonight.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I think many times, the model ends up saving the contestant. Some of the models really get into their role, jumping about, gesturing with the arms, and making faces. Others just stand there like a lump. I've often wondered if the contestants tell the models what to do, how to walk, etc, or if the models take the initiative to do something. Some of the designers with less than great looks would be wise to instruct their model to really sell their look to make up for what's lacking in the design. It might at least keep them there another week.

I prefer it when the model does get in character. It lets you see how the costume will move and tells me the model feels comfortable wearing it. If the model just stands still, it makes me feel that the piece is either uncomfortable and confining, or that the model doesn't like how it looks and just wants the experience to be over.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I think many times, the model ends up saving the contestant. Some of the models really get into their role, jumping about, gesturing with the arms, and making faces. Others just stand there like a lump. I've often wondered if the contestants tell the models what to do, how to walk, etc, or if the models take the initiative to do something. Some of the designers with less than great looks would be wise to instruct their model to really sell their look to make up for what's lacking in the design. It might at least keep them there another week.

I prefer it when the model does get in character. It lets you see how the costume will move and tells me the model feels comfortable wearing it. If the model just stands still, it makes me feel that the piece is either uncomfortable and confining, or that the model doesn't like how it looks and just wants the experience to be over.
    I don't doubt it - some of these makeups were saved simply because of that. And quite a few were saved simply because they DID sculpt something in the design or had fantastic costumes (the bird lady.

The sun superhero was one I kinda go "Why wasn't she in the top three" because yes no makeup prosthetic the mask and body body were well done.

But ice guy, the one with the white house in the pic and a few other GREY ones were saved because two of the bottom three did NO sculpt and the third had duct taped the armlets.

I think had she put them on in a creative way or removed them, she'd been safe and Alum bottom three AND going home. That much of the back being taken off and then the paint on top of it? - she'd been safer trying to claim (Be it VERY farfetched) that the guy was half ice with some human aspects left to draw in sunlight and turn it into ice.

Thoughts just wandering around randomly in my brain . . .

Hmmmm . . . Kinda suspected last week that Michael would not be long for this world. Boy, oh BOY did he prove me right. Trying to get around doing SOMETHING make-up or prosthetic-wise in a challenge does NOT fly, here, and he found that out the hard way.

Alam - Bless her heart. I agree with others above who've said this: But for Michael not doing ANY makeup/facial appliances at ALL, not only would she be in the bottom three, she might very well've been going home. OK. She's GOT to have SOME kind of talent, otherwise I truly don't think she'd've made it on this show at all. But she is SO green. I'm sorry, unless she pulls a really spectacular job out of the ether, or --- like this week --- someone else commits a more heinous sin than she does (and either of these instances continue for a minute), I STILL don't see her hanging around too long. I understand where she was going with the glass shards backpiece. But, looked to me like the shards were made of plexiglass. And they were HUGE. And the foundation that they were embedded into/glued onto looked to me to be as flexible and flimsy as Eric F. and Jenna's skin fabrication from last week, almost. Using common sense, how could you have expected quite a few heavy plexiglass spikes on a flimsy-looking support to have stayed put on the actor's back? And to have cut a hole in the back of the costume (when the spikes wouldn't stay) and painted his skin blue? And actually think that the judges WOULDN'T ask to see the back of the outfit?

Oh, boy.

Sorry, but I'm not getting all the rah-rah-sis-boom-bah from Glenn and Ve over House's creation. Yes, I'm no pro or expert or makeup maven. But I DO have eyes, and I DO know what I like. And I didn't at ALL like House's creation. I'll give him credit for thinking on his feet and going with what was in front of him, when he saw that his model's hair was so luxurious and thick that it wouldn't fit under a bald cap properly for him to be able to do the mohawk (I THINK!) he'd originally planned. But, I'm sorry. To me, his just looked like a butt-ugly, juvenile delinquent schoolgirl escapee from a Britney Spears old-ass video gone terribly, horribly WRONG.

And Eric F.'s Dick Gritty, while clever, didn't do that much for me, either.

Nor did any of the rest of 'em, truth be told.

Anthony, OTOH?

If buddy can hold it in the road, I seriously see him ending up at LEAST in the F3.

Of course, that could change.

For example, given how well they all did clear across the board last week, and quite a few of them totally tanked or came really close to it THIS week, that's proof enough that none of what goes on each week is set in stone.
    Last edited by ness; 01-23-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    Gala62 likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Will the winner be determined by public vote again once it gets to three?

So far, I think Anthony has a good chance of winning, if he makes the F3.

Wayne will probably go soon. Alam and Alex might not last either.

House and Eric F. could go far.

Anthony wins again with what I think was the only character that would look at home in the pages of a DC Comic. Perhaps, there was some off camera explanation of the Alam tragedy & that was why she didn't make bottom 3? Then again, there were so many bad creations this week that even with a hole in her costume it was better than some of the others. As good as last week was, this week was that bad. Some of these folks just seem to need the help of a teammate to shine. What happened to the host's Dad. I thought he was going to be a mentor? How can he mentor if he isn't seen?
    JohnnyK likes this.

After last week I was expecting great things. This week was a disappointment. I did like Anthony's, but really his was the only one worthy of winning IMHO. Hopefully they will learn better time management as the season progresses. After having a team challenge last week I think they over estimated what they could do and do well in the time they had.

+ Reply to Thread