+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 1/15 Face Off 4 Show Discussion

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Re: 1/15 Face Off 4 Show Discussion

I was so impressed with the sculpting expertise displayed. The rocks that won and both tree goblins. Even up close the shadowing in the paint stayed true and they looked so real. This is going to be a good season.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I agree with everyone else. There are some great talents on the show this season. It'll be interesting to see how they perform when they are without a partner. I think the correct decision was made but either one of those guy could have gone home this week & I would have been ok with it.

Gala . . .

LOVE the "molten dunce in a moth-eaten bedspread" line, BTW!

REQUEST PERMISSION TO STEAL AND ALTER, WHEN NECESSARY!

jade . . .

Gotcha on your entire post. Frankly, I was kinda wary when the show started 'cause I was a little concerned that perhaps there'd be a Second Coming of Joe The Fruitcake. SO glad that's been dodged --- at least in the FIRST ep, anyway.

Yep. The Volcanic Goblin bit it big time from start to finish. Even giving Michael a pass for having a bad day, I'm sorry, but I'm trying to understand HOW he could've looked at that "crown" and NOT realized that it was too tall, too cone-shaped and therefore resembled a dunce cap. Shoot, I even seem to recall Troy being concerned that the crown might tip over and take the wig with it onstage. Since that's the case, I'm holding HIM partially responsible for that screwup (even though Michael actually made the crown).

Hadn't crossed my mind until you brought it up, but, "GOODY!!", there didn't at all seem to be a horror slant on any of these makeups, even though I seem to recall at least one or two of the artists referring to their particular goblin as "evil". I love horror makeups, but I liked that these makeups were NOT skewed to the horror genre, but were still SO unusual and well-executed, too.

Ariel . . .

The sculpting this go-round had my jaw dropped. If they can keep this up, we'll be treated to a FaceOff Olympics of sculpting!

razorbacker . . .

I definitely agree with you that I'm looking forward to seeing how well each of them do WITHOUT a partner. Except for the Volcanic Goblin, the rest proved that they --- so far, at least --- had the teamwork aspect of movie makeup covered. Sure, Wayne and Alex tanked on time management and painting their alligator properly, but their teamwork seemed to be very on point.

Now, for the flying solo tests. Alam is SO new, I still feel she's sitting on a bubble, but we'll see. Even just having recently gotten out of school, she might surprise us all. And I've got an eyebrow raised now about Michael, too.

But, again, we'll see.
    Last edited by ness; 01-18-2013 at 04:08 PM.
    Gala62 likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

As to the horror aspect missing from this weeks output. I found it refreshing, I prefer other "cleaner" types of looks. But, the previews for next week show that they are to make a DC Comics Superhero type of thing & it looks like at least 1 person goes for the out of the box horror type of thing.

Is it endemic in the makeup industry that everyone is all tatted up with multiple piercings & the worst hair cuts ever? Does that give them more cred around the powder box?
    Florimel and ness like this.

ness - Yes, of COURSE!! anytime you like any of my "bon mots" - be my guest

I totally agree with everyone here - great, interesting work (avoiding the horror trap - I didn't catch that either - thanks for pointing that out!!).

can't wait to see how the personalities start developing. I just hope they don't show a lot of the house drama - there was a little bit more this time than I've seen before...I watch this show for the awesome work they do, not the heart-to-heart talks! LOL
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Hi everyone
    I am with you all and excited about the talent level this season. Let's hope they give them some fun and interesting challenges!

That said, the volcano goblin was bad, just bad. So many bad judgments, so little talent displayed. Happy to say that all the others impressed me though.

Looking forward to next week!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I thought most of them looked pretty good. The volcano hat was pretty cheap, though. Anthony's off to an impressive start. I don't think anyone else has ever won immunity and the Spotlight Challenge in the same episode before.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    As to the horror aspect missing from this weeks output. I found it refreshing, I prefer other "cleaner" types of looks. But, the previews for next week show that they are to make a DC Comics Superhero type of thing & it looks like at least 1 person goes for the out of the box horror type of thing.

Is it endemic in the makeup industry that everyone is all tatted up with multiple piercings & the worst hair cuts ever? Does that give them more cred around the powder box?
    'Y'know, razorbacker . . .

Glad you brought it up, because I've often wondered the SAME thing.

Honestly, I've sometimes wondered if the strange haircuts, tats, multiple piercings, goth nail polish, etc., that most of them sport kind of act/serve as some sort of talisman for them, like Samson's hair, or something?

Unreal.

I mean, I know everybody has his/her own way to rock their look.

But in the H-wood makeup (or just plain CREATIVE) world, off-center, not-so-normal artist street looks almost seem to be a requirement of the job, among the younger artists.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Ness, you do bring up a good point about how it seems the artists seem to be overly decorated almost like Capitol citizens it seems on this show. That said, there are several who were dressed and looked what people would perceive as normal (Sam, Nicole sans the hot pink hair, etc.)

Me I have no problem with ornamentation, as long as it isn't too distracting - which in the case of the one fellow with the bad guy from "The Fifth Element" cut hair it is, or affects their work.

As far as tonight - I missed who was sent home but I agree that the guy who won - well the top three named - were deserving of having their designs turned into a DC comic character. The one that won - I think the lava guy - I think was stunning and YES what a true lava dude would look like. And yes, the robo hero was a bit gory, but in her case it actually meshed well with what he was creating and as Glenn said, would fit in the world of a Japanese version of a superhero (which is probably why it didn't win - I felt it was second of the three overall).

WAS surprised Alum wasn't in the bottom three - a hole in the back really truly IS a no-no as far as production or comic character makeup is. It really looked bad - HOWEVER I guess the clean edges on her makeup and the few spikes in his head had to have saved her - barely - from the bottom three. (well that and two of them didn't even really create a makeup, just fabricated masks, and the duct tape is a bigger no-no).

LOL!

jade, funny you should touch on what I commented on, because I popped in here for just a quick sec to clarify that post of mine.

When I commented, I was meaning to (and did, I think!) skew my observations toward younger artists.

That doesn't TOTALLY work as a hard-and-fast rule, though, because, if you look at somebody like Anthony from this season (I believe he's 26? That's still young, to me.), the artist-decorated-out-the-wazoo theory absolutely does NOT fly, in that case. Also, as for an artist-decorated-out-the-wazoo, Glenn TOTALLY skews to that end of the spectrum! He's not wearing diapers, but he's not navigating around on a walker or electric cart, either. But I'll bet things must get pretty interesting for him when he tries to clear airport security, too!

So, even though off-the-chain self-expression through personal appearance might be a trend of makeup artists in a lot of instances, by no means is it a carved-in-stone rule for all of them, regardless of age!

Caught tonight's (LAST night's?) show, will comment on it later.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12