+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 9/25 Episode Discussion - "Dishonorable Proportions" - *spoilers*

9/25 Episode Discussion - "Dishonorable Proportions" - *spoilers*

Tommy is (finally) gone! Yes, he put in a lot of effort, and yes, he made a lot of pieces, but when you put them together so badly that the judges wince, there isn't much to be said.

Tonight's challenge: create a new character for Dishonorable (steampunk). And again with Sarah, not knowing what steampunk is. (She was really good in earlier episodes, but obviously she has a really limited range.) Alicia didn't hurt herself this week, Rob went from bottom to top, Derek won, and Roy got immunity by having the best avant-garde makeup in the...um...whatever the first challenge is called. (I want to call it a "QuickFire" but that's the wrong show ;-) )

Re: 9/25 Episode Discussion - "Dishonorable Proportions" - *spoilers*

Tommy was the one to vote off. Duck taping the arms to the model. He thought the judges wouldn't notice.
    ness likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Tommy is (finally) gone! Yes, he put in a lot of effort, and yes, he made a lot of pieces, but when you put them together so badly that the judges wince, there isn't much to be said.

Tonight's challenge: create a new character for Dishonorable (steampunk). And again with Sarah, not knowing what steampunk is. (She was really good in earlier episodes, but obviously she has a really limited range.) Alicia didn't hurt herself this week, Rob went from bottom to top, Derek won, and Roy got immunity by having the best avant-garde makeup in the...um...whatever the first challenge is called. (I want to call it a "QuickFire" but that's the wrong show ;-) )
    I do think steampunk is hard to define. I know it when I see it but the definition that the other female gave her is not the one I have read.
    Florimel and ness like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Where has everyone gone for this discussion?

Tommy lasted much to long. They had the correct winner I think. Still liking Laura for the win though.

I don't like the spoiler that someone gets a chance to reenter.

I thought I heard that the finale will be on Halloween, so they still have six weeks to go. Perhaps they will run low on numbers and need to fill in to make the finale date? There hasn't been a double elimination, has there?

Yes, finally the Tommy going home scenario has happened. I like that they said either the contestants didn't get Steam Punk, or they didn't meet the exaggeration part of the challenge.

The runway makeup "quickie" was very interesting and I loved the winning look.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Tommy was the one to vote off. Duck taping the arms to the model. He thought the judges wouldn't notice.
    Didn't someone duct tape arms last week, too? (But I think they did a much better job of it.)

TG . . .

Last week, Cowboy had to tell Alana (who was freaking out about it, of course) to tape the flames that would come out of Fire's almost-elbow-length gloves to her arms, THEN she'd put the gloves OVER the tape job (of course), and it'd never show.

I thought about that, too. I think the reason it wasn't a big deal in THAT case was that the character was wearing pseudo-patent-leather almost-elbow-length superhero gloves where there would never be a chance of the tape ever being seen or detected. I mean, as a superhero (??????? Wait a minute . . . FIRE WAS THE DEVIL'S DAUGHTER COME UP FROM HELL TO CHECK OUT HOW WE DO IT UPSTAIRS!!!!! Oh, well, WHATEVER!), if she was decked out in full superhero (?) regalia, the chances of us ever seeing/detecting it being there would be slim to none.

Not so, in Tommy's case, though.

Also, I think they put more of a magnifying glass on Tommy's and how it was put together because even though he'd survived from the pirate challenge, when he worked alone, what he produced was EXTREMELY questionable.

So, yeah, I think they scoped his harder for that reason, too.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Tommy was on extremely borrowed time. I don't think he had one completely successful look and the only reason he skated through even this far was because someone was just slightly worse. Although I think he should have gone home instead of Nicole with that horrible lumberjack rabbit mess!

LOVED Roy's runway look - he really understands concepts so well, as does Laura. Both think on their feet and create stunning looks that they can complete within the allotted time.

I am so over Sarah. It's not just that her repetoire is so limited (lots of them are seeing new stuff). It's that she just freezes and shuts down. I think they have Ipads or something available to them, right? Just go online and do some quick research for pete's sake...sheesh.

They let it slide this week but Rod's head STILL had that rounded look to it that all his sculpture seems to have. Alana is probably next to go, the competition is down to the real talent.

Roy, Laura, Derek. Definitely my F3.
    ness likes this.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62 View Post
    Tommy was on extremely borrowed time. I don't think he had one completely successful look and the only reason he skated through even this far was because someone was just slightly worse. Although I think he should have gone home instead of Nicole with that horrible lumberjack rabbit mess!

LOVED Roy's runway look - he really understands concepts so well, as does Laura. Both think on their feet and create stunning looks that they can complete within the allotted time.

I am so over Sarah. It's not just that her repetoire is so limited (lots of them are seeing new stuff). It's that she just freezes and shuts down. I think they have Ipads or something available to them, right? Just go online and do some quick research for pete's sake...sheesh.

They let it slide this week but Rod's head STILL had that rounded look to it that all his sculpture seems to have. Alana is probably next to go, the competition is down to the real talent.

Roy, Laura, Derek. Definitely my F3.
    Gala . . .

Methinks both Nicole AND Tommy should've been gone! Gotta admit, though, that lumberjack rabbit WAS pretty hideous, after checking out the photo again!

Roy and Laura DID rock that makeup. I had to laugh about Roy groaning when he found out it was a beauty makeup challenge, but then turning around and winning the thing. Too funny! That just proves how good he is, I think. And his comment about his beauty makeups always winding up looking like hookers made me laugh, too.

As for Sarah? Hmmmmmm . . . Maybe she hasn't subconsciously totally let go of her Mennonite roots? Like you, I would've thought she would've hit the iPad to help herself out. But then again, that seems too much like using common sense.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SAYING ROD'S HEAD STILL LOOKED ROUNDED! I thought it was definitely bigger in size (of course!) and elongated, but I could also see the usual roundness at the top of the receding hairline and cheeks. It kind of almost resembled a pink, glass-embedded light bulb, in a way. He did better this week, though, and clearly showed the judges that he was trying. Even with a bum wrist. That might've been the reason they let him slide.

Liked how Alana helped Rod out and liked how Tommy helped Sarah out, too.

No man or woman IS an island in this profession, I think.

And yeah, unless Rod walks on water next week, I've got Roy, Laura and Derek pegged as F3, too.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    The challenge you're referring to with Roy winning is called "Foundation Challenge" and usually results in a first pick or immunity (Not that I think Roy needed it too much with his design, but good in the later challenges to win it).

Spotlight challenge is the big contest where there is a winner and a loser.

As far as this past week's ep, I didn't get to see it but will give an opinion on it later when I look at the makeups closer.

BTW, as far as steampunk - usually it's seen as a combination of futuristic and Victorian (think gears and lace or watch clips around the Internet of early years of "Doctor Who" or the Eight Doctor era), but I have seen some elements of it that feature bugs, the bizarre or what I saw in the glance of the makeups.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 10-02-2012 at 03:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast