+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 9/18 Episode Discussion - "Supermobile" - *spoilers*

9/18 Episode Discussion - "Supermobile" - *spoilers*

It was weird seeing just how many of them had so much trouble with either "superhero" or "sidekick". (Technically, 5 were in the bottom, but Tommy was paired with...um...the blond, who did an awesome job, so they were one of the top two teams.)

(I had a migraine earlier today so now I'm blanking on just about everyone's names. I'll just say that some of the them did awesome, but most of them had major problems.)
    redsox girl likes this.

Re: 9/18 Episode Discussion - "Supermobile" - *spoilers*

What a disappointing week. Some of them created amateurish costumes that some of us could put together for Halloween. The skill level just sank. I did love the little imp, that was impressive. The paint job on the girl inspired by the motorcycle was quite good.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

wow...what happened? I kept thinking did they not get clear enough direction on this? Only Roy/Alana & Laura (I think) even came close. Everyone else was a major fail. Poor Kevin Smith - didn't have much to enthuse over.

I am flummoxed by Rod. Is this truly the only head he can do? It's not even that good. Jason did deserve to go home but once again, Tommy somehow escaped. He is in way over his head. Alana definitely benefited from being paired with Roy, but I do think she has the innate talent. Just not the nuts and bolts yet.
    Sarah & Derek also surprised me. Why was this so hard for them?
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't like that Alana was declared the winner this week. I was worried that she would win since she detailed the things she did for her team and casually threw in that Roy did the rest. What the judges didn't know was how much she leaned on Roy to do the things she did. She struggled with carving the mold and getting the flames on the outfit. I don't know which of them came up with the concept for their design. Ironically, I felt that Fire and Chaos were apt descriptions of Alana herself. Fire for her red hair and chaos for the way she scrambles around during the challenges. lol! I didn't really care for the paintjob on Fire but overall their concept and execution were better than the other teams. I wish Laura and Roy could have been on the same team. She could have done a really great job on the paint for Fire.

I was surprised Rod didn't go home after being told TWICE to do something different with the face and still doing a similar design. And yeah, Tommy should be out by now, too. Every week he's showing how inadept he is at different methods of construction. I have to wonder if there is anything Tommy is actually good at. So far, his sketches seem to be pretty good but that's about it.

We are certainly seeing a real separation between the pretenders & the contenders. It seems to be coming down to Roy, Alana & Laura who steps up every week no matter who she is paired with. And then all the rest seem to be biding their time. Tommy once again avoids elimination because he is teamed with someone that saves the team.

I like Kevin Smith, anyone else watch his series Comic Book Men? Funny stuff!

Still picking Laura. She has an incredible eye & I think a huge career ahead.

I would have preferred a challenge for Supervillains. Most superheroes wear masks and good-looking. Supervillains otoh can be anything, it has more room for creativity and go crazy with it.

The worst makeup for me is the girl with the eyepatch. It's very lame considering she had 3 days to work on it and it look like a job made in less than an hour. This is the worst challenge so far, so many of them sucked.

As mentioned the only three superheroes or at least creative and well-executed superheroes/sidekicks were Roy, Alana and Laura.

And though I do find her constant "I don't know how to do it" a little too taxing, Alana did earn her win because she DID realize her makeup was bad and reworked it. From the looks of things, the makeup wasn't suggested by Roy - not the one she created anyway (he did show a slight rework of fire, but that wasn't used).

Do agree with Roy though - she DOES need to just listen and sit there and WATCH what he or others do and just learn by repetition. But I wasn't upset with her win because a. Roy has won and b. BOTH looked great together. (Well there's c. - I don't think they have immunity anymore anyway so it's bragging rights).

Roy's makeup on Chaos - even with the slightly static face, it was a fun and playful makeup. Even if the person stood there it'd worked (though I love how these makeup models act in the makeup - they too treat it like a live resume).

Bottom looks - Frank simply put was saved thanks to Laura's look. Rod was repetitive and worse that makeup duo was bad overall. I also didn't like the motorcycle duo's look because it was too safe - minimal prosthetics and the one piece that was noticeable - the eyepatch - not interesting enough (i.e. rivets the like).

I was suprised none of them choose the space type vehicle - I'd done something like Sunray and Moonray (sun and moon type characters - she being warm and sweet but will send out solar flares of anger when provoked. Him the moon who is calm quiet and gentle when normal days, but can either throw ice (dark side of moon) or heat (the light side) when in a fight.

No - I don't know who'd be the hero and the other the sidekick, hence the idea.

As a whole, I was really disappointed with the looks tonight. I thought they really lacked something. Not quite sure what, but I was very underwhelmed.

As an aside did anyone else check out Hot Set? Thoughts? I was kind of hohum about it because I thought it would be a serialized competition and not a 2-off every week.

It's surprising how poorly Rod has performed in the last few episodes, considering how well he did at first. I think most of us picked him for the final 4. I don't think he's going to be F4 unless he really wakes up and stops doing the same darned thing. The judges are on to him now, so I think if he repeats that same character again - especially after Ve made such a point about it this time - he'll be out.

I love Kevin Smith. He's like such a little kid with this stuff. I wish there had been better work for him to judge this week.

Although Alana doesn't have as much experience with construction, she's definitely got good ideas. She's a bit like Ian last season in that. He may have had some issues with his technique, but he was so creative. The techniques can be taught and refined, but imagination can't.

I did like Alana's character this week, but I now think the competition will come down to Roy and Laura in the end. They both have the creativity and the experience.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Agreed. I think its Roy and Laura and possibly Derek for the F3. Sarah was one of my early faves (as was Rod), but both have been struggling lately. Rod can't possibly be that limited in design...it rather boggles the imagination (or his lack thereof! lol).

Sarah has veered into boring / safe territory which is disappointing after her great sea urchin. Alana has great ideas (good comparison to Ian - ITA!), but once she's totally on her own and the others don't have time to help her, she'll be out.

Tommy? that is one lucky dude. There is no reason he should still be there really.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast