+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 9/18 Episode Discussion - "Supermobile" - *spoilers*

Re: 9/18 Episode Discussion - "Supermobile" - *spoilers*

I will concede one tiny point - he doesn't have the Jerry complex where he thinks his stuff is excellent no matter how bad it is. And so far even Tommy's worst (sans first week as that was a pairs week) has been better than a lot of Jerry's stuff from last season.

Thoughts and observations . . .

ROD - SMH. Boy. Oh. Boy. Not only did Buddy step in it BIG time, he smeared it around, too. Ve practically did that sculpting FOR him. And he STILL didn't alter it enough to where it didn't read like three others he'd done before it. The man's NOT stupid. I really DO believe that the understands the English language. Hell, I KNOW he does, because it came out of his own mouth that since Ve actually approached him TWICE about facial alterations on his sculpt, he KNEW he was in trouble. I couldn't BELIEVE it when she left, then came BACK to warn him AGAIN about the round face. I've only been on board since Season 2, and I don't recall seeing ANY of the judges EVER do that, before. And, IIJM (i.e., "is it just me"), or does that face that Rod seems to create over and over LOOK A LOT LIKE HIS OWN FACE? Say, like if he'd been eating like Mama Boo Boo, or something? ESPECIALLY the lips?

SARAH - ANOTHER one that's sliding downhill. She took Rayce's suggestion literally, about pulling in pieces from the actual motorbike and sidecar. But, she missed the mark in that in addition to just glueing an eyepatch over the hero's eye with no apparent visible means of support, she also chose to make the eyepatch mirror the wood grain on the top of the sidecar. Which didn't work real well, seeing as how her final makeup color on the young lady was so dark and woody-looking, too.

DEREK - Seems like he's up one week, and down the next. Besides the silicone just being too heavy, the sculpt looked like something out of a freak or horror show (Frankenstein?), as opposed to being an iron-jawed cutie of a superhero sidekick. He could be on thin ice, I think.

JASON - Wow. When Ve remarked that the airbrushing on the appliance was about five shades darker than the airbrushing on the guy's chest piece, I thought she was being nice and understating it. Frankly, the color difference between the two kind of read to me like a brownie sitting on top of an oatmeal cookie. I guess Jason DID realize it, because he had the guy put on that suit jacket OVER that brick poophouse torso. But he should've known trying to misdirect the judging panel like that just was NOT going to work. And the silver pieces they had on sucked. You could buy better than those in a local costume shop. OR MAKE 'EM YOURSELF, even.

TOMMY - His heart's in the right place, and he really wants this. But, bless his little underdeveloped heart, he just does NOT have the well-honed skill-set yet that would warrant him winning this. Also, he has a tendency to go quietly ape$#!+ when things start going south during the creative process. He needs to marinate and apprentice for a few more years before he can set sail on a set on his own, I think.

ALANA - I think she's shown that in costuming, at least, she has more than a clue of what she's doing, in terms of costume selection that'll match the makeup well. But I also believe that she's Tommy's soul sister as far as wigging out when things go sideways. Yeah, she's a bit louder than Tommy with hers, but she still wastes a lot of time panicking, then running to somebody (usually Cowboy, I think) for help to save her ass. Don't see her making it too much further either. Like her soul brother, I think a few years of marinating and apprenticeship will serve her well. She's ahead of Tommy as far as creating goes, and her ideas are generally good, but she definitely needs more in-the-trenches seasoning.

And also, like pikachu(?), I'm not happy that she won this week. OR kind of took over when the judges wanted specifics on who did what, and kind of added/threw Cowboy in at the end as an afterthought. Frankly, I think this'll catch up with her eventually, because with her being the tempest-in-a-teacup that she is, eventually, a solo creation will come up that'll blow up in her face somewhere and nobody'll be able to pull her ass out of trouble (to echo one of my compadres, above).

I'm just waitin' for it.

LAURA - LOVED her sidekick. VERY talented lady. And she knows how to keep a cool head under fire. I think the only thing that can be said about her is --- unless she pulls a Rod --- I can easily see her in F2.

ROY - I liked Alana's Fire just fine, but to me, Cowboy's Chaos stole the show. Gotta give him credit. He's a gentleman. When they named Alana (?!) the winner, he couldn't have been more gracious and congratulatory to her. A wonderful artist, and a good sport. What more could you ask for?

GENERAL MUSINGS - After Ve pretty much drew Rod a road map and he STILL got lost, to me, he just might be on even thinner ice than Tommy or Jason. He was --- up until now, anyway --- a shoo-in for F4, at least, and almost CERTAINLY F2, I thought. But I don't think so anymore. I believe he'll turn into a pumpkin if he makes ONE MORE mistake. I dunno. I feel he still has the goods in there, somewhere. But, his wrist might still be bothering him, and the pressure might be getting to him, as well. Whether it's either, or both, or neither one, he'd better get his head out of his rear in a hurry. But then again, Lazarus DID rise from the dead, too, so we'll see.

Right now, Cowboy, Laura and Derek are my choices for F3.

F4 spot is up for grabs, right now, far as I can tell.
    Last edited by ness; 09-20-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I didn't comment on all of the observations here, mostly because I gave my opinion of some makeups in the photo thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Thoughts and observations . . .

ROD - SMH. Boy. Oh. Boy. Not only did Buddy step in it BIG time, he smeared it around, too. Ve practically did that sculpting FOR him. And he STILL didn't alter it enough to where it didn't read like three others he'd done before it. The man's NOT stupid. I really DO believe that the understands the English language. Hell, I KNOW he does, because it came out of his own mouth that since Ve actually approached him TWICE about facial alterations on his sculpt, he KNEW he was in trouble. I couldn't BELIEVE it when she left, then came BACK to warn him AGAIN about the round face. I've only been on board since Season 2, and I don't recall seeing ANY of the judges EVER do that, before. And, IIJM (i.e., "is it just me"), or does that face that Rod seems to create over and over LOOK A LOT LIKE HIS OWN FACE? Say, like if he'd been eating like Mama Boo Boo, or something? ESPECIALLY the lips?
    It may be just you - this week's design I read as being the hero in "The Green Hornet" aged literally the 10th Doctor's age when he had to deal with the Master's trickery in one of his stories.

But if Ve's saying you're repeating - you change it quickly. The makeup was IMHO horrid anyway.

JASON - Wow. When Ve remarked that the airbrushing on the appliance was about five shades darker than the airbrushing on the guy's chest piece, I thought she was being nice and understating it. Frankly, the color difference between the two kind of read to me like a brownie sitting on top of an oatmeal cookie. I guess Jason DID realize it, because he had the guy put on that suit jacket OVER that brick poophouse torso. But he should've known trying to misdirect the judging panel like that just was NOT going to work. And the silver pieces they had on sucked. You could buy better than those in a local costume shop. OR MAKE 'EM YOURSELF, even.
    I believe they actually did - Derek or Rod actually had the foam rubber stuff and took the sander to the pieces earlier in the show. So - it's even WORSE there.

TOMMY - His heart's in the right place, and he really wants this. But, bless his little underdeveloped heart, he just does NOT have the well-honed skill-set yet that would warrant him winning this. Also, he has a tendency to go quietly ape$#!+ when things start going south during the creative process. He needs to marinate and apprentice for a few more years before he can set sail on a set on his own, I think.

ALANA - I think she's shown that in costuming, at least, she has more than a clue of what she's doing, in terms of costume selection that'll match the makeup well. But I also believe that she's Tommy's soul sister as far as wigging out when things go sideways. Yeah, she's a bit louder than Tommy with hers, but she still wastes a lot of time panicking, then running to somebody (usually Cowboy, I think) for help to save her ass. Don't see her making it too much further either. Like her soul brother, I think a few years of marinating and apprenticeship will serve her well. She's ahead of Tommy as far as creating goes, and her ideas are generally good, but she definitely needs more in-the-trenches seasoning.
    You hit it right on both of these, and yes, Alana's sounding board of choice is Cowboy (Roy). That said, Roy is on his last nerve with her if I read that private interview correctly (facial expressions and tone in comments). Her time of getting help is wearing thin I believe.

LAURA - LOVED her sidekick. VERY talented lady. And she knows how to keep a cool head under fire. I think the only thing that can be said about her is --- unless she pulls a Rod --- I can easily see her in F2.
    If Laura can handle the tempest in the storm that is Alana and work hard on sculpting a rabbit hybrid mix for the Chinese Dragon for as long as she did (with Alana in ER) - I think she can handle the pressures of this show. She could if she keeps this up be a frontrunner of being the first woman in the top three/two (as Sam in season 1 was in the finals but placed fourth) of this show, maybe even the first winner.

ROY - I liked Alana's Fire just fine, but to me, Cowboy's Chaos stole the show. Gotta give him credit. He's a gentleman. When they named Alana (?!) the winner, he couldn't have been more gracious and congratulatory to her. A wonderful artist, and a good sport. What more could you ask for?
    Well the cynic in me to tell Alana politely that he'd be willing to help her with her work, but this is a contest, so it'd be post show. I don't think he'd do that for real - even if he may be on his last nerve with her, but I do think he wants to see all of the really young ones win.

But he is everything you said, and I felt that his Chaos character even with a static face, you could still see how someone could emote even with that situation. This is NOT easy to do - anyone who has been a mascot can vouch for this - so that makes this even more impressive.

GENERAL MUSINGS - After Ve pretty much drew Rod a road map and he STILL got lost, to me, he just might be on even thinner ice than Tommy or Jason. He was --- up until now, anyway --- a shoo-in for F4, at least, and almost CERTAINLY F2, I thought. But I don't think so anymore. I believe he'll turn into a pumpkin if he makes ONE MORE mistake. I dunno. I feel he still has the goods in there, somewhere. But, his wrist might still be bothering him, and the pressure might be getting to him, as well. Whether it's either, or both, or neither one, he'd better get his head out of his rear in a hurry. But then again, Lazarus DID rise from the dead, too, so we'll see.

Right now, Cowboy, Laura and Derek are my choices for F3.

F4 spot is up for grabs, right now, far as I can tell.
    I think Rod it's both - though I don't do this type of work, I have noticed that my clay jewelry suffers if I have a wrist injury (unfortunately has happened in recent years).

That said, I think he'll last longer than Tommy and Sarah at the rate it's going - unless he didn't take this wake up call to heart (though I think he has).

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    It may be just you - this week's design I read as being the hero in "The Green Hornet" aged literally the 10th Doctor's age when he had to deal with the Master's trickery in one of his stories.

I believe they actually did - Derek or Rod actually had the foam rubber stuff and took the sander to the pieces earlier in the show. So - it's even WORSE there.

Roy is on his last nerve with her if I read that private interview correctly (facial expressions and tone in comments). Her time of getting help is wearing thin I believe.

If Laura can handle the tempest in the storm that is Alana and work hard on sculpting a rabbit hybrid mix for the Chinese Dragon for as long as she did (with Alana in ER) - I think she can handle the pressures of this show. She could if she keeps this up be a frontrunner of being the first woman in the top three/two (as Sam in season 1 was in the finals but placed fourth) of this show, maybe even the first winner.

Well the cynic in me to tell Alana politely that he'd be willing to help her with her work, but this is a contest, so it'd be post show. I don't think he'd do that for real - even if he may be on his last nerve with her, but I do think he wants to see all of the really young ones win.

But he is everything you said, and I felt that his Chaos character even with a static face, you could still see how someone could emote even with that situation. This is NOT easy to do - anyone who has been a mascot can vouch for this - so that makes this even more impressive.

I think Rod it's both - though I don't do this type of work, I have noticed that my clay jewelry suffers if I have a wrist injury (unfortunately has happened in recent years).

That said, I think he'll last longer than Tommy and Sarah at the rate it's going - unless he didn't take this wake up call to heart (though I think he has).
    jade . . .

Are you talking about "The Green Hornet" comic book? If so, I wouldn't know anything about that or the Doctor storyline, because I've never read the comic book. So, I wouldn't know anything about the Doctor, or Master. I DO remember seeing the TV series with Van Williams as the Hornet and Bruce Lee as Kato, but that was YEARS ago, so I wouldn't remember if Rod's makeup resembled an aged Hornet, or not. So, yep, I still think Rod's facial sculpts kind of resemble Rod himself (especially around the mouth), so that's just me.

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought sure it was Jason who sanded, etc., the foam silver pieces that his and Rod's characters were wearing, because Rod was so far behind trying to re-sculpt his facial mold. And I don't recall Derek working with foam at all. He may have, but I thought his particular cross to bear was that silicone he constructed his face out of. I thought he said he wanted to use it because of the translucence, but it turned out to be heavier than using foam would have been. Matter of fact, even though he tried to glue it after it fell down backstage, the weight of it caused it to fall again at presentation time (and the judges DEFINITELY caught that). And when I said we could probably make our own pieces, yep I knew theirs had been made, but they looked so cheap and cheesy and ill-fitting I meant any one of us could've probably made them and they would've looked better.

My bad. Should've clarified more.

Yep, I agree that Cowboy's just about had it up to his straw Stetson with Alana. Nope, don't think he'll call her out about it openly. But on the next challenge, he just MIGHT be too busy to stop and lend a hand when she has a mess that she can't figure her way out of. Because that WILL happen, and I'm 99.9% sure she'll go running to him to dig her out.

I'm so sorry about your wrist. I can see how your jewelry could suffer, and how Rod's wrist could affect his work, too. Especially with a nagging, throbbing pain in it when he moves it (most likely). And even with a bum wrist, I think he'll outlast Tommy and Sarah AND Alana. Hopefully, he paid attention to his customized wake-up call. I personally think the only reason they let him slide through was because they have a really good idea of the kind of work he can produce.

If he listened and acts positively on what he was told, he might get back in the running for F4.

And Laura COULD take it all.

We'll see.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I'm totally loving Laura's design viewpoint. She's like Race in a way...still young and unproven, but with mad skills and oodles of creative vision. Her self-doubt just pushes her to do better, whereas with Tommy and Alana, they just melt down and lose it.

Laura is by far the strongest female contestant on the show to date and I'm enjoying her creations very much.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    jade . . .

Are you talking about "The Green Hornet" comic book? If so, I wouldn't know anything about that or the Doctor storyline, because I've never read the comic book. So, I wouldn't know anything about the Doctor, or Master. I DO remember seeing the TV series with Van Williams as the Hornet and Bruce Lee as Kato, but that was YEARS ago, so I wouldn't remember if Rod's makeup resembled an aged Hornet, or not. So, yep, I still think Rod's facial sculpts kind of resemble Rod himself (especially around the mouth), so that's just me.
    There are a few "DW" fans here who surprisingly hadn't seen that ep, but I'll be happy to elaborate. Basically, they aged the actor who played the Doctor to a face that looks a lot like this but this made that makeup (which looked a bit fake in points) look good.

And I'm referring to the comic series "Green Hornet" but I'm basing the comparison with the fact they're in an older style car - not like Black Beauty (I know the models and makes are different), and the idea they had of having the hero have a sidekick chauffer (though yes, Kato was more like a butler - not sure of the correct term).

I'll work harder on making better comparisons - but suffice to say what I was trying to get across it looked really bad and looked like a MAD version of some series or such. I just got "Green Hornet" in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    There are a few "DW" fans here who surprisingly hadn't seen that ep, but I'll be happy to elaborate. Basically, they aged the actor who played the Doctor to a face that looks a lot like this but this made that makeup (which looked a bit fake in points) look good.

And I'm referring to the comic series "Green Hornet" but I'm basing the comparison with the fact they're in an older style car - not like Black Beauty (I know the models and makes are different), and the idea they had of having the hero have a sidekick chauffer (though yes, Kato was more like a butler - not sure of the correct term).

I'll work harder on making better comparisons - but suffice to say what I was trying to get across it looked really bad and looked like a MAD version of some series or such. I just got "Green Hornet" in my head.
    Believe it or not, I thought of "The Green Hornet" when I saw the car they had to work with, too. Different from the Black Beauty (remember, I'm doing a mental connection to this car with the car they used in the 60s TV series), but along those same lines: black, shiny, elegant-looking, obviously hideously expensive.

I even thought the costuming for Rod's "superhero" echoed the TV series, since Britt Reid (the Hornet's civilian persona) was a filthy rich media honcho that wore business suits and ties. Rod put his superguy in a black vest and pants (from a business suit), but an open-collared white dress shirt. The tie was replaced by the silver thingy he had around his neck that connected him to the sidekick.

There weren't even any vague throwbacks to Kato in Jason's sidekick at all.

"DW"? Got it, now, I think. You're referring to the "Doctor Who" series? Never seen it, but I've heard a little buzz about it and thought I'd get around to checking it out on DVD, eventually.

Yep, those makeups, as a whole, were awful. No wonder Jason went home, and Rod is on thin ice, now.

Can't WAIT to see what happens next week!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12