+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 9/11 Episode Discussion - "Alice in Zombieland" - *spoilers*

Re: 9/11 Episode Discussion - "Alice in Zombieland" - *spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think it was her paint job and costuming that sunk her, mother than the brainy boils. If she hadn't done all that gray and black, it would have been much better. It looked more like Emily Strange as a zombie than Alice.

For me, NONE of the designs - with the exception of Derek and maybe Roy - had enough Alice in Wonderland.
    Good point!

This kind of reminds me of the "Wizard of Oz" challenge from last season, when they were specifically instructed (IIRC; and no, THAT one is LONG GONE off my DVR! LOL!) to take a particular character from the traditional story, and put their own twist, or own flavor on it. One of those that really set me back on my heels was the Wicked Witch. Golden face, long chin, a STAFF . . . I could actually see that conception of the character in a 21st-century-on-crack version of The Wizard.

Now, in THIS challenge, they were told to take a familiar Alice character and envision it as being zombified by a virus. For THIS particular challenge, JMHO, I think all of them overall might've been served better with the costuming coming as close to traditional ideals of what these characters presented, but going off the charts with what they'd each look like while (or after) being eaten up by a virus. Rod was one of the ones who came closest to it, from THAT angle. He just tanked on the idea behind and execution of --- in terms of STYLE --- the makeup.

Just a thought.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I think it was her paint job and costuming that sunk her, mother than the brainy boils. If she hadn't done all that gray and black, it would have been much better. It looked more like Emily Strange as a zombie than Alice.

For me, NONE of the designs - with the exception of Derek and maybe Roy - had enough Alice in Wonderland.
    RATHER! Good grief. Just got off the phone with my mom when I wrote that, so it must have been on my mind. What a derp.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

She actually called them "boils" a few times during the episode. Did she also say they were brains? I don't remember.
    I'd have to watch the episode again, but I think she said something that the brains had expanded due to the virus that caused the Zombieness (I don't care if it's a real word or not - I don't watch zombie movies save probably Zombieland because it's so absurd), and came out of her head. It would explain why she had them pulsing, because if she just called them boils herself, Ve or the new judge would've called it like they did - it looks like boils.

(Note, I didn't notice until I wrote this that yes, both were mentioned - and thank the one who found that out for help. I kept the comment above though because it does make another point )

Because even basic makeup artists know that you don't pulse anything body part or blemish that wouldn't pulse: boils, blisters, calluses, etc. Sunburns and some scars will have a faint pulse/color change per heart beat if it's close to a large branch of the circulatory system, but I've never seen boils/blisters do such a thing. They ooze instead when punctured, and Nicole would've been better off creating that effect instead of the pulsing if she really wanted them to be boils. I think she was doing brains and failed quite honestly.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I liked Roy's queen and thought it deserved the win. However, I thought it looked too dry and plasticy. If real skin was cut and stretched like that, I would expect it to be either oozing or have shiny scar tissue on it. To me, his character looked the most fake of all the creations, like a rubber costume, not a real person. I was surprised that none of the judges mentioned that. I didn't even notice last night that his queen's boobs were exposed. I guess my eyes were drawn to the crown on her head, which was spectacular.
    When watching the show last night, I saw on the clips from last week's show that the queen's boobs were edited out (they looked like they were blurred by the camera) so that's why I hadn't noticed them the week before.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345