+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 9/11 Episode Discussion - "Alice in Zombieland" - *spoilers*

Re: 9/11 Episode Discussion - "Alice in Zombieland" - *spoilers*

Derek would've been a worthy win IMHO - that Cheshire cat was - I dare say it - a lovely zombie cat that wasn't too gory or frightening too.

But I can see Roy's winning because he actually had a slightly different idea on how a zombie turns into something else - his was based on the chess piece. I even caught it when I saw the original makeup (I was only able to see the reveals this week).

I just liked how the top three looks were probably the least gory - showing off their sculpting skills and paint job without the blood and such. From what I saw on the judge's faces, they seemed to feel that when the designers put so much blood on the models, they were trying to cover up stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gala62 View Post
    one more thought (sorry!)

after that trainwreck Joe left, it seems like everyone is pulling together almost as a complete team. Helping each other out, cheering each other on, commiserating when something goes wrong. Nothing too nasty.

how refreshing is this?!!!
    I've said before and I'll say again - I think (rightly) that no matter who wins this show they ALL know that it's in a way a national audition for studios, and these studios will judge them on their attitudes and actions on the show.

Now, I'm not saying that is all the reason - which makes this even more refreshing, but it is nice because it shows these people know the difference between game and real life.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I was disappointed that Jason's Mad Hatter wasn't in the top looks. It was one of my favorites this week.

Sarah's "critter", for lack of a better word, didn't look at all like a cat. I don't buy her growing up Mennonite crap as an excuse either. How long has she been living under a rock? I can understand not being familiar with Resident Evil but how could you not know anything about zombies? Didn't she wonder what a zombie apocalypse was when the face-eating attacks were all in the news? How many movies and tv shows have featured zombies? Sheesh, woman! Plus, there's no excusing bad design just because you don't know what a zombie is.

Alana's white rabbit was awful. I didn't get the thing with her rabbit having multiple wristwatches on its arm until she explained it. I was thinking it was like rap stars wearing multiple gold or silver necklaces, except that her rabbit's bling of choice was watches. I get tired of her running to Roy every challenge because she can't do her stuff on her own. I don't know how she got picked for this competition because she clearly doesn't have the chops. At least she didn't have to visit the medic this week.

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy...I felt bad for him the first week, being teamed with Joe, but every week since then, I've wondered if he should have been sent home on the first episode after all. I think he has ideas but he doesn't have the skill to execute those ideas. I laughed so hard at him calling his creation "hillbilly bunny". Like the judge said, what the heck was he thinking with that outift???

Rod totally didn't get the point of this challenge. Was he raised under the same Mennonite rock with Sarah? The best part of his creation was the head the queen held in her hand. Great job on that!

Nicole's creation was bad all the way around. Bad makeup, too dark, weird placement of Drink Me bottle. Like Tommy she had good ideas but didn't execute them well. She also shot herself in the foot in the wardrobe department. The hillbilly bunny and Alice the convict. What a pair. Kudos to the model trying to save the look with her ghoulish munching on the bunny. She did a great job!

I didn't like Laura's madhatter as much as Jason's. I thought it looked like he had a sausage slung over his shoulder, not intestines.

Derek's Chesire cat was so creepy looking! He did a great job making a zombie version of this character. His styling was good, too.

I liked Roy's queen and thought it deserved the win. However, I thought it looked too dry and plasticy. If real skin was cut and stretched like that, I would expect it to be either oozing or have shiny scar tissue on it. To me, his character looked the most fake of all the creations, like a rubber costume, not a real person. I was surprised that none of the judges mentioned that. I didn't even notice last night that his queen's boobs were exposed. I guess my eyes were drawn to the crown on her head, which was spectacular.

So my top three would have been Jason, Derek, and Roy, with Roy winning.
    Bottom three would have been Tommy, Sarah, and Nicole. Any or all of them could have gone home. They were all bad! At least Tommy had good ideas so if he could work on his construction, he has a chance to improve.

[QUOTE=pikachu;4553026]Alana's white rabbit was awful. I didn't get the thing with her rabbit having multiple wristwatches on its arm until she explained it. I was thinking it was like rap stars wearing multiple gold or silver necklaces, except that her rabbit's bling of choice was watches. I get tired of her running to Roy every challenge because she can't do her stuff on her own. I don't know how she got picked for this competition because she clearly doesn't have the chops. At least she didn't have to visit the medic this week.
    I thought it was Tommy's design that incorporated all the watches, not Alana's.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Oh, was it? I couldn't remember from last night and couldn't see from the pictures which rabbit had all the watches. In any case, whoever did it, I didn't understand it until they explained.

I'm pretty sure it was Tommy's rabbit with the watches- kind of a cool concept but a hot mess in execution (and oh that horrible outfit - yikes!). I thought Alanna's was pretty good - but ITA - she needs to stop running for help every 15 mins. Good thing every one is getting along or she would've been screwed.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Thoughts and observations . . .

NICOLE - Bless her heart. They got the right one, 'cause she SHOULD'VE been shown the door after that bomb. MJ wouldn't've even used that in his "Thriller" video.

SARAH - OK. You were Mennonite. Got it. Move ON. That thing was so disgusting and hideous, if I'd been eating when it came up onscreen, I might've hurled. And I'm sorry, but I cracked up when Glenn (I think it was) remarked that there was too much goo on it for him to touch it. BOY did she take Neville's advice/suggestion OVERBOARD. But, she'll live to fight another day.

TOMMY - Y'know, like pikachu and (apparently) the judges, I was willing to give him a pass for Week 1. Then, his pirate wasn't exactly a world-beater, but he DID manage to hold his own in Week 2. Warning bells REALLY started ringing with me about him when he just basically made himself --- at least to my eyes --- Derek's assistant in Week 3. And pretty much SAID just that during elim.

Week 4?

Lemme put it this way . . . If Tommy has no clue how to marry a specialized makeup job with an appropriate costume, then he doesn't need to be on this show. I was howling when Ve called him out about that rabbit's duds. In what brain, what WORLD, did he think the March Hare would be decked out in a plaid lumberjack shirt, day-glo yellow T-shirt and white beach bum/surfer/runaround pants?

JMHO, but until he learns more and develops his makeup skills AND his instinct and eye for pairing costumes with his facial and bodily creations, he doesn't need to be a professional makeup artist in ANYBODY'S studio, or on ANY movie/TV set.

ALANA - That is one lucky, BLESSED, ditzy heifer. Just about as much as Tommy, she doesn't --- at this point --- need to be working on ANY set as a professional makeup artist, right now. Had it not been for Roy, she'd've been up crap creek without a paddle. She didn't have a clue how to save those ears until Roy put her diapers on for her. I WILL give her that she had more going on with matching up the costume to the character and makeup than Tommy did, though. So, THAT'S something, at least.

I just hope she doesn't burn down the lab somewhere along the way before she goes.

JASON - Held his own. To me, his hatter read/came across like some character out of a Halloween "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" movie, or even Ichabod Crane himself. I thought the hat was just a wee tad bit too tall, and too fairly straight, also (I thought of a Lincoln stovepipe hat when I saw it). But, that's JMHO.

ROD - Talented as he is, seems like he checked his brains at the door, on this one. Good makeup job, as usual, BUT . . . Soon as I saw his final product, the FIRST thought that came to my mind was that his makeup reminded me of the "old age" challenge from last season. And my jaw DROPPED when he actually said he thought that HIS makeup looking so different from everybody else's might be a GOOD thing! I still believe he and Roy are the major contenders for top spot. But, then again, he WON'T be if he doesn't turn his eyes on and plug his brain IN before he sends something so totally off the mark of what the challenge was about to the stage to represent himself.

LAURA - She GOT it (unlike Rod). Liked it. I think she's going to wind up giving the Rs a run for their money to the finish line. She's not as good as either of them, but if either of them makes a major mistake more than once or twice (maybe), I think they'll be gone and she might just sneak in there.

DEREK - Now THAT was a zombied-out Cheshire Cat!!! When I saw it, my first thought was that Derek was gonna be one to give the Rs a good run for their money to the finish, too. I was thinking that there might probably have to be a coin toss to decide between his and Rod's. MAJOR good stuff!

ROY - Even MAJORER good stuff! I agree with Ve that the only thing he might've done to take it up a notch would've been to've put some shiny stuff/substance on it to give it a gleam. Other than that? Buddy brought it HOME! He DESERVED that win!

At this point, unless some unforseeable disaster happens, I think there might be a four-way tussle for top spot between the Rs, Laura and Derek. I DO always keep in mind, though, that anything can and does happen.

So, we'll see.

JMHO.
    Last edited by ness; 09-12-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    pikachu and Gala62 like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Lemme put it this way . . . If Tommy has no clue how to marry a specialized makeup job with an appropriate costume, then he doesn't need to be on this show. I was howling when Ve called him out about that rabbit's duds. In what brain, what WORLD, did he think the March Hare would be decked out in a plaid lumberjack shirt, day-glo yellow T-shirt and white beach bum/surfer/runaround pants?
    I thought those were pants too, but if you look at the pictures, it's actually fur legs. I don't know what's worse, really. It's like the White Rabbit lost his pants. Maybe he had a one night stand with a truck driver and had to get out of there fast the next morning. That would explain the flannel.
    ness, Arielflies and Gala62 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I thought those were pants too, but if you look at the pictures, it's actually fur legs. I don't know what's worse, really. It's like the White Rabbit lost his pants. Maybe he had a one night stand with a truck driver and had to get out of there fast the next morning. That would explain the flannel.
    OMG.

FUR PANTS????

Sweeeeeeeeeet Jesus . . .

That boy was worse off than I'd THOUGHT!

ETA . . .

Looked at it again.

Yep.

Fur. PANTS.

I obviously need to get my prescription CHANGED!

OK.

Fur LEGS, then!

They're still baggy enough that he could've put a couple of mini bunnies in 'em!

'Scuse me . . .

Gotta look up my eye doc's number, now!
    Last edited by ness; 09-12-2012 at 09:46 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

What got me a lot on Tommy's explanation of the costume though was that when Ve asked him what on earth was the rabbit wearing Tommy said "well normally he wears a tweed jacket so I put him in a tweed shirt," and Ve goes "that's not tweed."

I thought "Um... Tommy, tweed last time I checked has NEVER been in anything other than coats really, and maybe pants. But not shirts and especially not lumberjack shirts made out of flannel."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast