Laura and Alana

Rod and Nicole

TOP DESIGN
    Derek and Tommy (Winner - Derek)

BOTTOM TWO

Jason and Roy

Eric and Sarah (Eliminated - Eric)

Re: Week 3 Photos: The Year of the Dragon

I tried to zoom these in a bit, but they just aren't high res enough, so they looked really grainy.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

You did the best you could with what was available, Critical.

Honestly, you'd think these shows would do a better job with photos on their official websites. Project Runway has always been rife with problems in their Rate the Runway section, where I pull photos from the show. Pictures will be all different sizes, sometimes photos are missing or mislabeled (says it was done by one designer when it was done by another designer), and just the quality of the pictures themselves is atrocious. I don't know who's to blame--the photographer, the webmaster, or both--but ultimately it comes down to the show's producers themselves for not insisting on better quality to represent their website.

Really looking at these I can say three things:

1. They had the right one in the worst position - it's the only one that doesn't even remotely look elegant enough to be seen as a Chinese new year dragon;

2. Jason and Roy did blow a chance to win with those colors - I think they could've been top two again (but this is good for both because they'll work hard to not be in that spot again)

and

3. Apparently most of these folk don't get that the dancer's arms in the front do not show in the actual design. Admittedly this is due to making the head move and "talk" which these makeups relieved them from (and probably to effect a "dragon" style - but it's still short a dancer); however, most of these would've looked better had they hidden the arms (or at least hands) of the front dancer. Ironically the worst actuallly paid attention to that.

Ooooohhh, yeah . . .

Jason and Roy messed UP. And I totally get what Glenn was saying about the shape of the face. It should've been elongated, more snakelike. In a way, it kinda looks to me like a red-and-black, pushed-in turtle face, rather than a snake face. And, looking at this, now I'm starting to wonder WHY they draped the red-and-black rabbit fur OVER the top spine of the wings? At least, that's how it looks to me like they've got it. I'm no makeup artist or costume designer, but seeing how the wings looked when Jason put them on and ran through the shop, I think maybe they might've been able to get more of a winged-dragon effect if they'd left the bunny tails (trails?) off the top edge of the wings, and just let them trail and move behind the dragon as it moved. Or maybe not. But, to me, personally, that fur on the top of those wings just does NOT look good or right. JMHO.

Oh, well. At least we know that Roy's a hell of a force to be reckoned with, and maybe next week, they'll have solo projects? Don't recall if they indicated that in the next-week clips, or not.

Just a few thoughts/observations about that one.

Eric and Sarah SHOULD'VE been at the very bottom. Nothing wrong with blue and orange, I guess, if that's your poison, but they REALLY shouldn't've done this electric/royal blue sequinned (sp?) pajama thing and that pumpkin-colored 70s-shag carpeting that they did. And those 70s shag-rug CUFFS on the pj bottoms? And those "horns"? Truer words were never spoken than when Ve said she just would've left the darn things OFF. They kind of remind me of spray-painted No. 2 pencils, or something.

Based on the dragon-like judges' focus, Derek and Tommy SHOULD'VE won. Hands down. Justice DOES get served, every now and then.

I DID like Rod and Nicole's. Agree with the judges that the face could've/should've been more dragonlike, since that's the final direction they felt the makeups should've gone in.

Laura and Alana's. OK. At least they had better horns on theirs, and the face was interesting (DID kinda resemble Laura, though!). Something about the white just didn't do it for me, though. Gotta give Laura props for doing what she had to do when that walking accident magnet Alana managed to do a number on herself.

Interesting challenge. Interesting looks.

JMHO.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread