+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 9/4 Episode *Spoilers*

  1. #11
    Bloomin' FoRT Fanatic! ness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Roseland!
    Posts
    10,443

    Re: 9/4 Episode *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm definitely going to keep posting the pics! That is, as long as SyFy keeps uploading them....
    And we THANK you for your support!!! Lol!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

  2. #12
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,051

    Re: 9/4 Episode *Spoilers*

    I have to say a word of praise for the models on this show. They don't just walk out with their makeup on and stand around dully (Most of them don't, anyway. There was one dude who was immobile and I thought that was weird, expecting him to do something). They're more like actors than just plain models. Sometimes the way the model moves to characterize the designers creation sells the design more than its look alone. I've often wondered if the designers instruct the models on how to act or if they come up with that themselves.

    The models on this show could give lessons on how to sell a product to models on other shows who sleepwalk their way down the runway.

    I'm glad there haven't been further problems with the models being allergic to the makeup. The first season I watched Face Off, there were many times they had to switch models because of severe allergic reactions. Maybe by now the show has learned to give the models allergy tests to make sure there won't be problems down the line.

    I was sad to see Eric go this week, leaving his brother by himself, but it's important to bring your best every week. All it takes is one lackluster performance and you don't get the chance to try again.

    I was kind of miffed at the cowboy dude (don't remember his name) who didn't tell his partner that he didn't like the red makeup with black patches. He said he'd let it go because his partner alone was responsible for the paint job and he wasn't worried about the part he did. That's a very poor attitude for a partnership. It's not enough to guarantee your own safety by saying "Oh well, we could have done better but at least I did better than my partner so I'm safe". I would think the goal of teamwork would be to help each other do your best so you can potentially have the winning design that week.
    Last edited by pikachu; 09-05-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    ness and sparklete like this.

  3. #13
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: 9/4 Episode *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Do you remember the name of the guy that partnered with Roy? Well, whatever, but I'd REALLY like to know just WHOSE idea it was to do theirs up in red and black. I mean, red and black are a couple of my favorite colors. But NOT how they were used there. Those colors/that color scheme WERE/WAS too dark. And I had to laugh when Roy said: "I'm not happy about the paint job. It looks like black acne!" Well, it DID!! And I liked that he reasoned the situation out and just let his partner go his way with it, knowing that if something WAS said about the paint job, he could honestly say HE didn't do it WITHOUT having put himself in a position of dippin' the guy in the grease.
    He was partnered with Jason (who hasn't really stood out yet - well until now - so I hadn't caught his name)...

    AND Jason was the one who decided the mottled red/black painting. Roy - who of course we know does haunted house work - would know a thing or two in this area.

    It wasn't a bad paint job thankfully, but it DID look as you said too dark. Ve also was right here - that breastplate was beautiful and probably said a cool saying, but it was covered up by the cloak used for the lion effect. I loved their fabrication on the headdress too though.

    Plus, doing it the way he did and NOT trying to say something or correct him, the guy wound up being able to learn something through making that mistake.
    Exactly - while it is a game and Roy knows that, I think he also wants to help the younger designers learn a few tricks because here they had a great design, just bad coloring.

    It was fantastic to see the dragons dance, too!

    And thanks for shining a light on the difference between a traditional tiger vs. dragon costume. That was interesting to learn!

    I hope Critical posts pics again, this week!
    You're welcome - I have had experience working and taking photos of the tigers at a Chinese New Year's event we used to have here in town. The host of the event had to correct me at least once about the difference.

    And - tigers are not always yellow and dragons not always red. That was one thing I was glad to see in the challenge too.

  4. #14
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: 9/4 Episode *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I was kind of miffed at the cowboy dude (don't remember his name) who didn't tell his partner that he didn't like the red makeup with black patches. He said he'd let it go because his partner alone was responsible for the paint job and he wasn't worried about the part he did. That's a very poor attitude for a partnership. It's not enough to guarantee your own safety by saying "Oh well, we could have done better but at least I did better than my partner so I'm safe". I would think the goal of teamwork would be to help each other do your best so you can potentially have the winning design that week.
    I can see your point too but one thing to consider - by that time, even if Roy had told Jason he hated it, there was no way to run another faceplate (even foam from my understanding) so he had to just let it go. Because he had to let it go however, he wasn't going to take blame for it and that I can understand because at the end of these challenges - it's one person who gets eliminated.

  5. #15
    Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,051

    Re: 9/4 Episode *Spoilers*

    Is it so hard to repaint? I would think if the paint you're using looks too dark or isn't quite right, you could spray over it with another color. I don't know anything about the type of paint they use, though, and if that's possible.

  6. #16
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: 9/4 Episode *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Is it so hard to repaint? I would think if the paint you're using looks too dark or isn't quite right, you could spray over it with another color. I don't know anything about the type of paint they use, though, and if that's possible.
    It can be - if it's foam it'll absorb the paint and no matter how much you try to cover it up it will show through a lighter color. Silicone is hard to get the right colors to begin with (it's transluscent like human skin) so you probably will end up coloring it so deep you have the same problem.

    I would presume the makeup they use is something along the line of Ben Nye (though this is more for regular skin makeup) but if it's similar - it's very VERY hard to remove - you have to use a lot of babywipes to just get off a basic beauty makeup.

  7. #17
    Bloomin' FoRT Fanatic! ness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Roseland!
    Posts
    10,443

    Re: 9/4 Episode *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I have to say a word of praise for the models on this show. They don't just walk out with their makeup on and stand around dully (Most of them don't, anyway. There was one dude who was immobile and I thought that was weird, expecting him to do something). They're more like actors than just plain models. Sometimes the way the model moves to characterize the designers creation sells the design more than its look alone. I've often wondered if the designers instruct the models on how to act or if they come up with that themselves.

    The models on this show could give lessons on how to sell a product to models on other shows who sleepwalk their way down the runway.

    I'm glad there haven't been further problems with the models being allergic to the makeup. The first season I watched Face Off, there were many times they had to switch models because of severe allergic reactions. Maybe by now the show has learned to give the models allergy tests to make sure there won't be problems down the line.

    I was sad to see Eric go this week, leaving his brother by himself, but it's important to bring your best every week. All it takes is one lackluster performance and you don't get the chance to try again.

    I was kind of miffed at the cowboy dude (don't remember his name) who didn't tell his partner that he didn't like the red makeup with black patches. He said he'd let it go because his partner alone was responsible for the paint job and he wasn't worried about the part he did. That's a very poor attitude for a partnership. It's not enough to guarantee your own safety by saying "Oh well, we could have done better but at least I did better than my partner so I'm safe". I would think the goal of teamwork would be to help each other do your best so you can potentially have the winning design that week.
    pikachu . . .

    You are so RIGHT about the models! I only started watching Face Off during season, and they piqued my interest even then. I noticed quite a lot of them played to character after their makeup was applied and their costumes were donned, and, like you said, that REALLY worked toward selling their various looks.

    I was also intrigued by situations with allergies. Remember the aging challenge? They used twins, IIRC, and one of them was so allergic to the makeup, the artist had to take it off her right then, and another model was brought in in a few hours. The artist (RJ, I think it was) had to adjust the already-done prosthetic to accommodate the smaller (?) head of his new model. Even with that, he STILL wound up pulling off a fabulous makeup.

    Eric. I'm sorry to see him go, too, but you're right; this is a play-for-keeps situation. You majorly mess up one time, and you'll most likely be the one packing your makeup kit and going home. I would've LOVED to have seen how their friendly brotherly rivalry played out later on down the line, but, Derek had the goods on this one, Eric didn't, and their tale was told therein.

    I completely get what you're saying about Roy not pulling Jason's (Thanks, jadewarlock!) coat about the paint job on the front prosthetic/mask/appliance (?) they used. Valid and reasonable angle on the situation.

    Another side of this that hit me about this, though, is that Roy might have wanted to keep his trap shut because of JOE.

    Remember how Joe KEPT tearing Tommy a new one when they were working together? He never, EVER seemed to give Tommy any kind of support and/or validation for pretty much ANY thing he did, or TRIED to do. We've not seen too much of Jason at this point, but I believe it's entirely possible (even though Roy never said so in a PI) that ANOTHER reason he didn't try to advise Jason about his paint job was that he didn't know if Jason would be open to receiving advice about it. And, if he gambled, and Jason WASN'T, Roy didn't want to run the risk of being seen or viewed by the rest of the artists (ESPECIALLY the young ones!) as "another old-ass, know-it-all Joe!". Even though I (and the other artists, I'm willing to bet) would probably never put him in that category, anyway, because --- up to THIS point, at least --- he hasn't presented himself in that manner.

    As I think we're all pretty much in agreement on: This is NOT a business where you can afford to have a rep of NOT being reasonable to work with, not being willing to listen to a co-worker, or a "know-it-all'. I don't think you'd be working very long, in ANY aspect of this particular, specialized industry, if any of those (or other negative) personality traits happened to be the word on the street about you.

    And the word on the street DOES get around, in EVERY type of business.

    Dunno.

    Just another idea/angle about that "EWWWW!" paint job.
    Last edited by ness; 09-05-2012 at 07:58 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

  8. #18
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,698

    Re: 9/4 Episode *Spoilers*

    If I'm not mistaken, Laura has had her work praised every week & been at the top of the heap every week. I think she is going to be around for a long time & perhaps even win. She seems to have a great eye for color & design & she had to do a lot of it herself this time since the walking disaster had to exit stage left for a trip to the doctor. I was cringing when Alana came back from the doctor & went over to work on the sander, I figured she would sand her arm off up to the elbow or something. Love the show, sorry to have missed the first 2 seasons.
    pikachu likes this.

  9. #19
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,130

    Re: 9/4 Episode *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Laura has had her work praised every week & been at the top of the heap every week. I think she is going to be around for a long time & perhaps even win. She seems to have a great eye for color & design & she had to do a lot of it herself this time since the walking disaster had to exit stage left for a trip to the doctor. I was cringing when Alana came back from the doctor & went over to work on the sander, I figured she would sand her arm off up to the elbow or something. Love the show, sorry to have missed the first 2 seasons.
    Yep, I was sure Alana was going to sand the hell out of her hand or something. They really should have a medic on set just for her....and not just the kind who can apply band-aids.

    Laura was a total rock star when Alana had to go off to the hospital. I've been really impressed with her thus far. I like Sarah too, so I'm hoping this past week was just a blip. Funny how some really good designers can get dragged down by a bad one (like with Roy and Sarah this week) and then others can help the bad designer up their game.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  10. #20
    FORT Librarian HaikenEdge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    476

    Re: 9/4 Episode *Spoilers*

    I think, theoretically, red was a good idea for the Snake, simply because red is the color of good fortune for the Chinese. Unfortunately, the paint job just looked anemic for the snake, so that's how it goes.
    Revenge is ice cream.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.