+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 8/28 episode - *Spoilers*

8/28 episode - *Spoilers*

This week's challenge was to create a pirate look inspired by items they found in treasure chests. The winner would get a $5,000 prize (no word on if they also got immunity).

I was overall impressed by all the looks, and wish that Roy had won this time, but he lost to a great sea urchin pirate. The top three did have the best prosthetics and felt like they were no where near made in only three days - they were that good and impressive to the point you wonder what they could do in more time.

The bottom three looks were truly bad - the spyglass one was predictable and worse badly done, the jewels one irritated me because he could've gone "Capitol citizen" (embed the jewels in the skin) crossed with a typical ugly pirate (or even pretty one even if in the bottom of the sea). But instead he just created a pirate with an octopus impaling him.

That one didn't lose though - it was a barnacle one, which I have to admit I disagreed to a point with the judges on eliminating her. Yes, the design was elmination worthy, didn't have a true element of barnacles, but she DID at least truly embrace the challenge as Mr. Jewels pirate just had the guy hold the jewels and the prosthetics were more traditional pirate look.

I was impressed - to a point - of the gal who got the Ship in a bottle though - the only thing she could've done better was have bits of glass and the ship items imbedded into the pirate.

Re: 8/28 episode - *Spoilers*

What I thought was a bit weird was that the barnacle pirate actually had more jewels than the jewel pirate.

The top three looks were amazing...I agree that they don't look like they were made that quickly.

I also thought it was nice when so many of the contestants helped the newbie work on her molds. That was unexpected.

This show tends to have people help people more because I think they all (sans quitter Joe) realize that in the end they're going to have a strong chance of being hired for their work and if they show they're willing to work with others more power to them.

It's a rare show where the contestants for the most part know this can in essence be a huge national job interview. The attitudes are usually kept at a minimum and that's why we're seeing such stellar work. Even the bad ones are overall good - but are comparable to the strong ones.

Meaning - I've yet to honestly see a true Jerry or Frank or even Meagan like design this season and those three were bad deep into the competition.
    Arielflies likes this.

I, too, am impressed with the designs so far this year. There are a lot of prosthetic pieces and build-outs as well as very good paint jobs. I agree with the winner this week. What fun she had implanting that ooze tube, and it worked without spraying the judges.

CC was never on track. Even during sketching, she was writing. Is it the fraternal twins that landed in the bottom with her? They, at least, seem to be in sync with each other. Last week they both did well, this week not so much.

Next week is the movement challenge. Those are fun as I wait to see if anything falls off.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't like the two redheads (the ones with the fake red hair, not this week's winner). I don't think they're very talented and the one has had to get help on both episodes. I don't think she's long for this competition.

I really thought the pirate with the steampunk eye was going to be one of the judges favorites so I was surprised it in was in the bottom three. I don't care for that look personally but I thought the judges would.

Most of the designers didn't put much thought into their designs. They could have done so much more with their inspirations. For instance, I was thinking for the ship in the bottle thing it would be neat to make a chestpiece with a ship in a bottle in it, kind of like the ship was so close to the captain's heart, when he died it became a part of him. I guess that's the general idea the designer had, just on a bigger scale.

I felt bad for Roy ( I think that's his name, the one with the hurt hand) struggling to get his molds apart. He helped people last week and other people helped the redhead. You'd think someone would have offered to help him when he was obviously having problems.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Well, here's a few ideas I had for less successful ones:

Jewels - embedded in his body - he could've had all sorts of "bad luck" designs on him done in jewels as well, such as a black (or dark blue) and yellow dot signifying he died of plague and the like.

I had also thought faceted parts of the face, but that's too much like bad Superman. A face encrusted in jewels but with slabs of skin torn up because of it would've been nice too.

Spyglass - Spyglass in the heart, showing heart or other organs and the true nature of a pirate's heart (black, unloving, too heavy with greed (i.e. studded with all sorts of bounty). Eye would've worked too WITHOUT the damn'ed eye.

ship in the bottle - I thought she did an OK idea with it; however I like the idea of a bottle of sort with a ship in it embedded into him. That said, if they weren't allowed to actually use the inspiration item in the actual design, I can see why she veered this way. Another idea would've been to have parts of the person made of colors of seaglass (mostly light blue) embedded in him and then parts of ships also embedded either in glass or the like.

barnacles - She had the right idea, but barnacles are not perfectly aligned like that. She could've used the person's features and built up barnacle like extrusions around the person's eyes, nose and mouth to look like they were covering up those and he's become the actual resting spot for barnacles. She could've also just done huge patches of the stuff on several spots of the body and added other debris that caught in the "plaster" (binder) the barnacles use to attach themselves to ships. Heck, just adding some boards to it too would've worked.

And the seahorse one was good; however, I think he missed a bit by putting too much of the horse's head on the face, and making it parallel with his body. Been better to show the "growing out of the pirate" more if it had been a bit askew.

The netting one bothered me a bit though - you couldn't really see much detail on the face how the netting somehow became part of him. What saved that designer was the octopus and other sea life with him was really well conceived. I actually for a brief moment thought the octopus was real (except yes, he'd be flat as a pancake out of water IRL).

Mind you - my ideas may take more than three days to actually come to life if actually tried, but they are abstract ways to make it work.

*Sighs*

Soon as Glenn walked up on CC's makeup and (paraphrasing) said: "I don't see anything here that says barnacles.", I kind of figured she was a goner. BUT, he was right. I couldn't figure out why she thought (STILL can't, actually!) what she did would work and be visually interesting when she had SO symmetrically aligned those "barnacles" like she did. Also, Ve was dead-on right when she commented about the exceptionally-darkened makeup on the model. It was SOOOOOOOOOO dark.

I thought the winner's makeup was fantastic! LOVED the yellow close-up ooze! Personally, I was kinda hoping it'd squirt the judges (just a LITTLE bit, anyway!), but, after all, this is the REAL WORLD, and you don't always get what you wish for.

Absolutely hated the steampunk pirate. HATED it.

So sorry about Rod's hand, and I was disappointed he didn't get help, either, but, he seemed to understand that he's twice some of these kids' ages, and they just can't DO any better.

LOVED Roy's makeup, too! I think he and Rod are going to make this a to-the-finish, neck-and-neck race.

jadewarlock, I think you've got FANTASTIC pirate makeup ideas!

BTW . . .

Apologies if this has ever been mentioned anywhere else . . .

I'd really like to find out more about the makeup models. I recognized some of their faces from last season (my first Face Off season), and I'd really like to know their back stories on them as people, actors and make up guinea pigs.

Wonder if TPTB at Face Off have ever done any sort of a close-up on these guys and gals, or if not, if they'll ever do one in the future?
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Either the octopus or barnacle creators could have gone home. I thought the octopus was such a weird way to add story to a jewel inspiration. I agree with what's beeen posted above regarding the barnacles. I can't understand why they were so perfectly spaced. It actually reminded me of "species" on any Star Trek series.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    Either the octopus or barnacle creators could have gone home. I thought the octopus was such a weird way to add story to a jewel inspiration. I agree with what's beeen posted above regarding the barnacles. I can't understand why they were so perfectly spaced. It actually reminded me of "species" on any Star Trek series.
    What would've made the Octopus work with the jewel design is if the designer had actually made it kinda look like it was tearing the pirate into two and inside somewhere of the "tear" be pearls and other gemstones.

The reason for this? - there are some animals in the sea (squid, octopus, etc.) that will pull apart oysters and other shellfish to get to the meat. What's not to say that it mistakes the pirate for a shell and tear it into two?

(OK, I'm being a bit unfair - I can't do this elaborate of a makeup as far as the prosthetics and I am not under a timecrunch. That said - it just shows that sometimes people don't think about the off the wall possibilities that may actually work. That's how you get a "jewels" pirate that is holding jewels and a "Star Trek" inspired alien makeup out of 'barnacles' (which I will admit to me look a bit like the emptied shells of the lipstick plant or critter that's in the sea).

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    What would've made the Octopus work with the jewel design is if the designer had actually made it kinda look like it was tearing the pirate into two and inside somewhere of the "tear" be pearls and other gemstones.

The reason for this? - there are some animals in the sea (squid, octopus, etc.) that will pull apart oysters and other shellfish to get to the meat. What's not to say that it mistakes the pirate for a shell and tear it into two?

(OK, I'm being a bit unfair - I can't do this elaborate of a makeup as far as the prosthetics and I am not under a timecrunch. That said - it just shows that sometimes people don't think about the off the wall possibilities that may actually work. That's how you get a "jewels" pirate that is holding jewels and a "Star Trek" inspired alien makeup out of 'barnacles' (which I will admit to me look a bit like the emptied shells of the lipstick plant or critter that's in the sea).
    Well, C.C. couldn't either!

Those "barnacles" were beyond horrible. When she opened her trunk, I could picture in my head exactly what I would do with that. I can't believe how bad her design was. Not only did they not look like barnacles, but the overall design, from makeup to costume was underwhelming. It's like she put a pirate costume on him and painted him brown. One of the worst designs we've ever seen on this show, IMO.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast