+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 8/21 Face Off 3 - Season Premiere Discussion

Re: 8/21 Face Off 3 - Season Premiere Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Poor Tommy, all he would have had to do was keep his mouth shut at judging. The judges said that the paint job was the worst thing about the design and Joe almost proudly admitted he did all of the painting. I think that, if Tommy had kept his mouth shut and Joe hadn't walked out, Joe would have been eliminated. After Tommy's little performance at judging, I think he was going to get the boot. Joe saved him.
    Critical, I think you're dead on with this assessment.

At the very first "grab whatever you can and impress us" challenge, Joe set warning bells off with me, when, after Sean told him he was NOT impressed with his results, Joe said, in a PI, something to the effect of: "Well, this is the kind of thing I've learned to expect, because people don't understand it when you do original art."

Again, that is paraphrasing exactly what he said.

Bottom line, what he did in that challenge, compared to everyone else's, was hideous. And he was so much of a cock-of-the-walk, so SURE that he was The Next Great Hollywood Makeup Artist that mere, unwashed mortals would NEVER be able to understand or appreciate his "work".

Also, I picked up bullying tendencies from him, in the way he seemed to steamroll Tommy during the brainstorming session and construction of the pieces.

Then, of ALL things, he shows that not only is he a bully, he is a TRUE COWARD, as well, because he turns tail and runs when he realizes that he's not going to be able to take the heat in the Face Off kitchen.

Well, good riddance to bad rubbish.

I sure do wish Tommy could've held it together during Q&A and let the judges do their job to ask questions and find out exactly WHO was majorly responsible for that mess. That's what they're paid for, and that is what they do. Now, if he's got anything on the ball at all, Tommy's going to have to work like a Trojan to turn around the general negative feeling that exists about him on the judging panel.

I LOVED Rod and Roy's creation, and I love both of them, too. Those guys are really talented, and it was a pleasure to see them work together and knock it out of the park like they did.

The girls' runner-up (haven't got all the names and people down, just yet) offering was spectacular, too. Much as Glenn is a take-no-prisoners sort, I noted how he made it a point to address the ladies and let them know that the Rs edged them out solely based on the consideration of how much excellent work they'd produced in so short a time. And it was good to see that the ladies understood that and were over the moon to have done as well as they had.

And I'd never heard of Neville, but I think he'll do well. His commentary was thoughtful and dead on target, because he obviously knew what the heck he was talking about.

I'm SO looking forward to this show each week!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

So glad we're getting this at the same time for season 3 here in Canada. I'm so glad Joe's gone. Both of his pieces were awful and looked like amatuer work. I can't believe he was even cast!
    ness likes this.

So is Rod going to turn into this season's Conor and keep helping the cute, young girl (in this case, Alana) every week?
    Not sure if he's going to keep helping Alana, but I think I'd really like to see him settle into a kind of mentor-type role, where, even while doing his utmost to win, he still helps others and passes on the tricks of the trade to those who want to learn them.
    Florimel likes this.
    Revenge is ice cream.

One of the things I like about this show vs. so many other competition shows with a similar format is how willing the competitors are to help each other out. Rod helping out Alana was definitely not the first time we've seen that. I think maybe it's because special effects makeup is such a collaborative field that attracts people who work well with others.....or at least the successful ones do. With special effects makeup, the individual artist rarely gets a ton of acclaim and their individual accomplishments don't really stand alone, like with fashion or even the culinary world. In order to succeed, they have to work with so many other people to elevate the overall project. I think the field also just attracts a certain personality type. Obviously not talking about Joe there!

I found it really hard to take Joe seriously with that haircut. The mohawk was one thing, but that little curl that hung down. UGH. I can't believe a grown adult thinks that looks good. When he talked about getting the same criticism from people and how they just didn't understand his work, I thought of various contestants on AI who say the same thing.....and they can't sing. At a certain point, when lots of different people tell you you're not good enough, maybe it's time to listen. I wasn't even impressed with the pics they showed of his work and, presumably, those are supposed to be his best.

I really liked watching Rod and Roy work together. I think it's probably how people in the industry work together. It was just fun to see those two creative people collaborate and support each other in the process. I think they won, even though the girls' work was cleaner, because the judges seem to reward ambitious designs. Gage had a few designs last season that they loved, even if the work wasn't completely clean. I think the rationale is that time will take care of the finishing aspects, but the creativity can't be taught. I thought both of the top designs were excellent.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You make a very valid point Critical in that most of the time it's teamwork with make up artists. I was in a movie myself and there were at least two people - the applier and another - to make sure the makeup was correct (a period piece mind you). Connor (or whoever won season one) ended up helping Ve on "The Hunger Games" and the looks are seamless as far as Capitol citizens and the like.

And looking from the designs a couple of days ago - you can tell which ones worked well together or put arguments aside long term and got good looks (the top two plus the ruffled alien one - whose team had some bickering) and then the one with moderate teamwork, and then Joe and Tommy.

I am glad Glenn put the wrath of God into Tommy a bit - because it's a huge warning to not do it again and puts him on alert he'd better put up his best work next week or he's in huge trouble.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I'm watching my DVR now and am up to the part where Joe and Tommy are about to step on the platform. I had to walk away and find out what happened before continuing.

Thank you, Critical, now I can watch with a lighter heart.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I loved the girls aqua creature hanging out in the desert. That paint job (including choice of color) was superb.

The boys deserved the win, though. The fabrication of the exoskeleton was unreal in the amount of time allotted.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I loved the girls aqua creature hanging out in the desert. That paint job (including choice of color) was superb.

The boys deserved the win, though. The fabrication of the exoskeleton was unreal in the amount of time allotted.
    I loved the boys' design due to the makeup and the exoskeleton construction.

I loved the girls' design due to details in the makeup - even what appear to be cutout designs in the skin where light shines through them. And they made a PRETTY alien from Yoda's homeworld (though he too was handsome LOL).

Best of all? - BOTH could be used in the animated (computer or drawn) versions of "The Clone Wars."
    Wished both could be winners, but they had to choose just one.

Biggest surprise - several of them NOT know what "Star Wars" was - as in haven't watched the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Biggest surprise - several of them NOT know what "Star Wars" was - as in haven't watched the movie.
    Not a surprise if just "regular" people that age haven't seen Star Wars (it was 35 years ago), but people who aspire to a career in special effects makeup? Shocking that they have not seen the movie.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Not a surprise if just "regular" people that age haven't seen Star Wars (it was 35 years ago), but people who aspire to a career in special effects makeup? Shocking that they have not seen the movie.
    Especially since it was among the first movie with that elaborate of character makeup where you could be fooled some of the makeups were not people in them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast