+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 2/22 Episode 7 Season 2 Show Discussion

2/22 Episode 7 Season 2 Show Discussion

Patrick was the "client" this week, and Levar Burton was the guest judge. They had to take a drawing that Patrick did and create their own alien, using his drawing as a base.

And Jerry is gone :-) Unfortunately, Sue is still there...Kara also went home. (They were the three worst.) Jerry had a horrid paint job, Kara just gave up when things broke, and Sue only did face makeup (and appliances).

Ian won. He'd had trouble with his appliance...parts of it fell apart, so he ended up with a torn ear, a patched ear, and a scar. But he did an awesome paint job, and the parts that "broke" (I guess "ripped" would be a better word) actually fit in well.

Re: 2/22 Episode 7 Season 2 Show Discussion

Out of the bottom three, I hate saying it but Sue's was the only useable one. That said, based on judge's comments she will have to work hard next week or she's out. She had a clear final warning in her critique. Had she just at least painted the hands it'd been better.

Jerry's makeup prosthetic was bad as was the makeup, while Tara as mentioned just gave up. She had a good idea, but instead of working it out, she just apologized.

Jerry also had a huge fault in going after the judges, one of which was the "client." I also didn't like how you could clearly tell there were human eyes in that makeup that blinks. Here he's complaining about Sue and her sculpture last week (which BTW was closer to 100 than his was for his model's makeup age), and yet he had to win anything after that first makeup challenge which IMHO was uninspired and shouldn't have won (I felt he won because of his self-proclaimed "years of experience")

Was pleasantly surprised Ian won - he worked through his difficulties and created an effective makeup. The coloring didn't look stenciled, which helped out with the look. I also liked how the mouth worked and how me made the chest area work well too. I do think his model though was a little bit more modest than most though there - she had her hands and arms moving in front of that area. (Note, I'm straight - but it was that distracting. Not Ian's fault though, and I'm glad the judges noticed that).

RJ was another who made the issues with his prosthetic work and created a good face and functional mouth. The other fellow with the essentially "blind" makeup was also very good. I liked the top three a lot.

Beki's was an improvement, though it looked like a big blood clot.

Not sure why the other design that was considered safe was safe, but it had to have been nearer the bottom.

Next week's looks to be a corker in its own right. I liked all the makeups I saw, and from what few I saw they fit the challenge theme. Best of all
    Click to see Spoiler:
    doesn't look like any horror blood monsters - even though Burton is known for the weird and bit Macabre.

FINALLY Jerry goes home! It took this long for all the people worse than him to get eliminated. He clearly had no clue about this challenge. What about those sketches was "B Movie"??? The colors absolutely looked like a cheesy Halloween mask, especially around the mouth. I couldn't believe he had the nerve to pop off to Levar Burton.

I felt for Tara. It seemed like everything she did just backfired. I was sorry to see her go. She's done good work up until now.

I HATED Sue's work this week. Those fake nails? UGH. The hands were horrible too. Why she thought THAT was acceptable, I don't know. It felt like it was just thrown together and I did agree with the judge who said it looked more like a monkey. Just bad. I would have preferred to see Sue go home this week instead of Tara. Now we may have to suffer through her weepy self pity next week.

I'm really impressed with Ian's work, especially considering how young he is. He seems to just have a talent for this field, beyond his training. He had some problems too, but he adapted and dealt with them really well. I wondered about his model seeming to cover her chest. It was covered with either laytex or a garment, right? I was surprised that she kept trying to cover herself. I'm really glad that it didn't affect his chances in the competition.

Right now, I'm thinking the final 3 will be Beki, Rayce and Ian. So far, they've all done pretty strong work and seem to be getting better.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    FINALLY Jerry goes home! It took this long for all the people worse than him to get eliminated. He clearly had no clue about this challenge. What about those sketches was "B Movie"??? The colors absolutely looked like a cheesy Halloween mask, especially around the mouth. I couldn't believe he had the nerve to pop off to Levar Burton.
    Yeah, I think the popping off to LeVar was the clincher in his case. I think sculpture wise he and Sue were even, but the colors were bad. He might've gotten away with it had he not done the latter IMHO.

BTW, it took me a moment to realize LeVar got the Peabody for "Reading Rainbow," and probably a couple of other honors there. Still, he's always been good in what he has done, even if I think Geordi will always be what he's best known for. He did make a valid point though on the one makeup that was hard to see out of - his visor, made of a banana clip, was hard to see out of. It was why in the movies they finally had the character get those "cornea implants" so he could see better.

I felt for Tara. It seemed like everything she did just backfired. I was sorry to see her go. She's done good work up until now.
    I agree, but I think the decision was right here. It was that bad - the teeth area too looked fake as fake could be. My favorite of hers will be the fish I think.

I HATED Sue's work this week. Those fake nails? UGH. The hands were horrible too. Why she thought THAT was acceptable, I don't know. It felt like it was just thrown together and I did agree with the judge who said it looked more like a monkey. Just bad. I would have preferred to see Sue go home this week instead of Tara. Now we may have to suffer through her weepy self pity next week.
    Out of the makeups as mentioned, Sue's was at least workable on screen without looking super fake. That said, had either Jerry or Tara stepped up more (or Jerry not smart off), or had all done better, she'd been gone. At least she realizes that she was lucky given her reaction. That was genuine shock.

I'm really impressed with Ian's work, especially considering how young he is. He seems to just have a talent for this field, beyond his training. He had some problems too, but he adapted and dealt with them really well. I wondered about his model seeming to cover her chest. It was covered with either laytex or a garment, right? I was surprised that she kept trying to cover herself. I'm really glad that it didn't affect his chances in the competition.
    I'm rooting for him, RJ or Rayce to win this, and definitely three of the final four.

And yes, his model was covered with latex - her chest doesn't have quite so droopy breasts. Fortunately, it did help too that he had designed a bat, and the way bats fold up can resemble the posture she was doing. That said, I can see she was self-conscious - which is OK (all of them are at least at points), but it was telling that most of the nudes for the body paint challenge were not the main models.

Right now, I'm thinking the final 3 will be Beki, Rayce and Ian. So far, they've all done pretty strong work and seem to be getting better.
    If they do a final three I agree - final four RJ should be in the mix.

Sue should definitely not be in there.

Did I miss what happened to Sue's "spikes"? They showed her making a bunch of them at the beginning, but at the end, the model's face had fake fingernails in it.

Where'd the spikes go?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Did I miss what happened to Sue's "spikes"? They showed her making a bunch of them at the beginning, but at the end, the model's face had fake fingernails in it.

Where'd the spikes go?
    She was using the fingernails for the spikes actually. She had placed them in the sculpture first so she would have the indents to put them back in...

Which leads me to go why didn't she keep them in the sculpture and cast them in silicone or have it where the prosthetic actually had them attached inside once the foam/silicone was cast. She wasted time taking them out then putting them back in.

The only way I can see this not working would be if the pour is super hot. Even then, why not fiberglass nails?

I'm glad Jerry is off - he had a cocky attitude, thought he knew it all and would win it all with weak makeups. That said, Sue is going to have to either do a 180 next week or she's done next week.

For some reason, Sue just annoys the crud outta me. Please let her go home next time!
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

She annoys me too. It's that little girl whining and crying. Yes, everyone gets emotional sometimes, but jeez. Grow up and get on with it! I have a serious problem with people always playing the victim card. Plus, I think her judgement about what is good work and what isn't is way off.

Sorry, but Jerry has no business doing special effects makeup for anything beyond bad Saturday afternoon creature features like the ones hosted by Elvira.....and not even that show - one on public access! He's not even good enough for SyFy original movies.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    She was using the fingernails for the spikes actually. She had placed them in the sculpture first so she would have the indents to put them back in...
    OK, somehow I missed that. I would have sworn that I saw her sitting on the floor making spikes (that looked like spikes...they were long and curved, and it looked like she was making them out of whatever ingredient looks like corn syrup). But I guess they were long fingernails and I missed it.

[QUOTE=jadewarlock;4433276]
    BTW, it took me a moment to realize LeVar got the Peabody for "Reading Rainbow," and probably a couple of other honors there. Still, he's always been good in what he has done, even if I think Geordi will always be what he's best known for. /QUOTE]

I always loved Levar as Geordi, but I do think he's at least equally remembered as Kunta Kinte in Roots.
    mom2 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast