+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2/15 Episode 6 Season 2 Show Discussion

2/15 Episode 6 Season 2 Show Discussion

Monster Night, I do believe. But, then, every show is Monster Night.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 2/15 Episode 6 Season 2 Show Discussion

Old age makeup for the spotlight challenge, and I have to admit I loved the challenge twist.

Best two were Sue and RJ. Sue took a good rebound from last week's fiasco and produced a legitimate 100 year old person. (My grandmother was 97 when she passed and she looked young, and I've seen 100 year olds look like him).

RJ - in spite of having to get another model due to an allergic reaction - he did VERY good. Save a slight issue around the neck issue (you could see a bit of a seam around the throat area, but I think it was more because of how he had to put the appliance on), you'd thought it was made for the woman.

The rest honestly were meh, and had Heather not had such a bad alignment on her 100 year old makeup, Beki would've gone home. Her's looked very fake, especially around the mouth area. But, I agree - to a point, that Heather's was weaker. Sadly too she hadn't won a challenge whereas Beki has at least won a foundation challenge.

Jerry begrudgingly had a decent 100 year old makeup; however, again I feel he's skirting by because there were places that seemed off.

(note, the following is not spoilerish because said person has been seen in commericals as being a judge).

Next week's again looks interesting, and we finally get to see LeVar Burton as the guest judge. I am looking forward to his critiques and comments.

Heather's and Beki's were really terrible. I was embarrassed for them.

I think the people who had to do the 50-year-old make-up were at a disadvantage. It is an age where a lot of people still look really, really good.

Jerry reminds me of what someone on some reality show (and surely a poster here will remember who!) said about not being eliminated: You don't have to be better than all of the people: you just have to be better than one other person.

Really, most of the ages looked older than they should have been. My mom is 75 and she looks much better than the 60 year olds they did. Heather's makeup looked more like zombie makeup than a person.

I've been fairly unimpressed with the work done over the last few weeks. I guess beautiful or realistic makeup is just harder than making a monster.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    I think the people who had to do the 50-year-old make-up were at a disadvantage. It is an age where a lot of people still look really, really good.
    I'm 55, and while I definitely look older than I did at 30, I really don't look that much different. I don't have any wrinkles/jowls/etc, I've got barely any gray hair, and I was flabbergasted at how they thought 50-year-olds should look.

And I really expected Ve (who is 61 according to IMDb) to say something to them about that. (Although I was surprised to learn that Glenn is 40...)

Honestly the only ones who came close were Sue and Heather - except the latter put it on wrong. I have seen 100 year olds look exactly like that, and found I think Beki's comments about Sue aging the guy so young were off. Was a little disappointed the model had him standing up straight - I do not know of a 100 year old without at least slumped shoulders a bit (even one who was as active as a 30 year old - I kid you not).

The one 50 year old who came close was the one done on the white female model. Beki's looked like it came out of "Fat Momma" because it was so fake (apologies to Eddie Murphy though who played through that and other heavy set makeups.) The rest were too old or not enough aging.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    I'm 55, and while I definitely look older than I did at 30, I really don't look that much different. I don't have any wrinkles/jowls/etc, I've got barely any gray hair, and I was flabbergasted at how they thought 50-year-olds should look.

And I really expected Ve (who is 61 according to IMDb) to say something to them about that. (Although I was surprised to learn that Glenn is 40...)
    I'm curious - did you think he was older or younger than 40? I put Ve somewhere around 55, but mainly because of her resume. I wish she had taken them to task about how old their 50 year olds looked.

The 50 year old blonde model looked okay in the face, but the neck was horrible. I think the big problem was that these people are very young. They think 60 is ancient at 25. I know people in their 60's who look way better than those 50 and 60 year old makeups. Heck, my mom is 75 and those models looked much older than she does.

I was waiting for one of them to do really obvious looking dentures like some seniors have, but no one did. I was sort of disappointed.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm curious - did you think he was older or younger than 40? I put Ve somewhere around 55, but mainly because of her resume. I wish she had taken them to task about how old their 50 year olds looked.
    Older. It could have been that I looked up her age first (I would have said she was 50-55, right around my age). So I was expecting him to be closer to her age (well, the age I had assigned her ;-) ). He just has a lived-in face, I guess.

+ Reply to Thread