+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mushybrain

Thread: 2/8 Episode 5 Season 2 Show Discussion

2/8 Episode 5 Season 2 Show Discussion

Wow...this had some of the worst stuff EVER.

Even though I agreed that it was Athena's time to go, I really, really wanted them to send Sue home. She was the reason the spider-thingy was so bad, and even though Beki can be a pain in the butt, I thought it was really nice of her to let Sue make most of the choices at the beginning (because Beki had immunity). And Sue was adamant that the spider arms should have texture, so that's what Beki did. Should she have fought harder against it? Probably...but how do we know she didn't?

Re: 2/8 Episode 2 Season 2 Show Discussion

Yep some of the worst makeup they've had. Even the top two had problems - the one with the firesticks had an excellent top (and I loved the "rock on" gag the model did too), it needed better bottoms, even if yoga pants it was missing the needed roughing up. Heck, even just doing firesticks sticking out of the pants legs would've been better.

The lizard/orchid hybrid was also good if nothing else because the face didn't look human.

Jerry's group is safe simply because of Beki and Sue's abysmal work. They better be thankful for that, especially Jerry because the body painting was far worse than Athena's - the spots were rubbing off on the leopard's body, and worse, it didn't look like a hybrid. The coloring was also fake as could be and this time Nix couldn't be to blame. I did agree with the one judge's comment that the collar could've been completely ignored for better work in combining plant and animal. He is just skirting by, and it irritates me more and more. One plus - he's admitting he's not doing well constantly in the bottom.

The briefs on the lizard with Athena and her partner's character is what killed it more than the body paint IMHO. I didn't mind the coloring (unless it was counter to the plant) because some animals/plants are threats simply because they ARE beautiful. The vivid colors are a threat. But it was the briefs that ruined the effect, as did the briefs on the sea dragon character she was a part of a couple of weeks ago.

Sue and Beki's - I know of many people who could do far far better. They had birds of paradise as the flower for goodness sake, and while they're pointy, it doesn't mean you turn and create legs essentially of the spider out of them. It was just... absolutely .... horrid.

I never thought I'd say this, and yes even she had some highlights, but even Meagan's worst was better than this product.

My thought is that next week the old age makeup we saw is a foundation challenge, and it's after a chewing out by all three judges about this past challenge. I totally agree with them, because I could make a decent makeup out of that challenge and I've never had experience with latex and foam.

Frankly I was disappointed, and if they're doing an old age makeup as the spotlight challenge and not what I am thinking it's going to be... that is a serious question for all their skills because it's one of the first makeups you learn.

Yep, most of the makeup was cringe-worthy. Sam Huntington made the episode for me. He's a cutie pie.

I had to laugh about Jerry talking about Athena wanting his advice and admitting she really shouldn't be looking to him for help, since he's in the bottom every week! Nice to see him show a little humility..... finally.

Why is Vivia Fox a judge? Because her bad plastic surgery looks more like special effects makeup?

I think Athena needed to go home, but Sue is just clueless if she thinks that design was innovative. Every time Sue cries and whines to the camera, I want her gone.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Why is Vivia Fox a judge? Because her bad plastic surgery looks more like special effects makeup?
    Truer words were never spoken. What the heck did she do to herself? Her cheekbones looked like 3-D golf balls.
    mom2 likes this.

I'm looking forward to the old age makeup. It was great to see actors who wear the makeup be part of both challenges this week. In college (40+ years ago) we didn't know about prosthetic and used makeup only for the aging process. In one play I had to look 50 years old and I accentuated my existing and potential creases with dark liner over a lighter than usual base; then once I turned 50 for real, I looked at my face and darn if I didn't look like I did in the makeup.

I loved the chameleon showing through the plant. Right now, Ian is my favorite...he won last week and is on top this week.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Vivica, IMHO, only showed up because Ve had previously done her makeup for one of the Batman movies.

And whatever "Doctor" it was that did the work on her needs to be taken out back and shot like a mangy cur.

I'm not losing any sleep over Athena going. Far as I could tell, she should've been gone sooner. Serious case of the lights being on, but nobody's home.

Really didn't like how Beki came down on Sue during judging, but Sue, granted, IS a pain in the ass. And that makeup WAS awful.

TOTALLY looking forward to the old age makeup next week!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Beki - right or wrong about Sue (and it was right) has harmed herself in regard to this competition throwing Sue under the bus like that. Ve was very articulate about that issue.

And - worse, did anyone notice that again we had at least one design - even if badly made - that edged on horror? (Spider/birds of paradise hybrid).

The ONE plus is that we will not see horror in old age makeup most likely. Then again, I still think it'll be foundation challenge and not feature.

Yes, I think that is the foundation challenge. From my viewpoint, there were a few monster hybrids lurking in the rain forest. LOL
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Beki - right or wrong about Sue (and it was right) has harmed herself in regard to this competition throwing Sue under the bus like that. Ve was very articulate about that.
    Agreed.

And I think it's going to come back to bite her in the ass, sooner, or later.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread