+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1/18 Episode 2 Season 2 Show Discussion

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

1/18 Episode 2 Season 2 Show Discussion

It's time to start a thread for the second episode which deals with underwater beings. How long can you hold your breath?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 1/18 Episode 2 Season 2 Show Discussion

That was an interesting episode! Loved the underwater twist (and was surprised how little most of them thought about what would happen). But the woman of the winning team should have been the ultimate winner...it was her idea to add the fabric to cover the edges, and it really impressed the judges.

Overall I liked the makeups and the top two and bottom two were earned. Not surprised that either Dragon fish ones were in the middle.

I wish on a team event BOTH people were the winners since they don't get to give input this year as to whom should be ousted. Save a couple of times I think with Megan, most of the inputs the designers gave were in regard to the designs.

Now, on this seaso, BOTH in the winning design were key in making such a beautiful piece. And I loved the idea to use that unique fish in a design instead of more overall basic animals here - the shark and the turtle were the most obvious ones. That said, the young lady was IMHO very gracious in saying the other fellow had the top design.

The second place team, I agree too with the judges, it was a nice makeup for a lionfish and the model looked like he was having so much fun in the makeup (well the top two did IMHO). I enjoyed watching that makeup in motion.

NOT surprised Nix was ousted - he had been in the bottom two twice and unfortunately, he backtracked his opinion on who should go home. Jerry's tactic here really worked to not thrown anyone under the bus, because saying that he did make the guy change his mind.

But sorry - going by makeup?, It should've been Jerry. His makeup came apart and the sculpting was cartoonish. Even me with the slightly shaky hands could've produced this makeup. While there is a chance that Nix's makeup issues were more because the guy was thrashing around in the water. The only error was the shell should've been brownish/tanish - he couldn't change anything in regard to the sculpture with the paint - even if he had painted it right, it'd still looked Cartoonish.

The second from bottom look - good idea; however, the fin was in the wrong spot (Something they didn't mention last week in regard to the placement of the heart opening on that post-apocalyptic Tin Man), and even I went "They need to use washers and weigh down the suit or made it form fitting. That said, the idea is what saved them from doom, as was the better face.

I have to admit though this was a interesting episode in regard to the comments about pasties and the like. This was the winning look and I will say that she was a good sport about all that stuff being stuck in those uncomfortable places. She also should get kudos on that win, she also helped make that makeup work.

Next week's looks like the body paint challenge again. I wonder what could be causing the whole issue that requires an ambulance though.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

From last week's preview, I thought there was a real problem with someone being unable to breathe or being trapped in the tank, but they didn't show that. I really thought Jerry should have gone home for the back sculpture. It was in two pieces, the top of which wasn't glued to the bottom and floated up in the water...still Nix doing the green back was bad.

Overall, except for the b**tchiness, this was an interesting show and the majority caught the essence of their inspirations.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Liked the water challenge. I was surprised the Lion Fish Man did not win. The Leopard Shark Lawyer was simply hideous and very laughable when all the clothes floated up. I really liked the two versions of the sea dragon and how each group handled it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

I prefered the Lion fish; it stood out as different from the rest. I thought the winner was good but more predictable to create a feminine water nymph.

I kind of like this show but I wish they would have less scary and some less involved creations. It is all very horror movie. How about aging someone realistically, cartoon character from your imagnination, something beautiful, aliens who are not here to rip us apart. Anything. Next week looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I prefered the Lion fish; it stood out as different from the rest. I thought the winner was good but more predictable to create a feminine water nymph.

I kind of like this show but I wish they would have less scary and some less involved creations. It is all very horror movie. How about aging someone realistically, cartoon character from your imagnination, something beautiful, aliens who are not here to rip us apart. Anything. Next week looks promising.
    The body paint challenge tends to be the most normal of the challenges because they are forced to work around a backdrop (or at least last season and based on teaser).

Last season too included a create a new persona challenge where the remaining 5 contestants had to disguise themselves and fool families. The ousted one - Meagan - did makeup only and clearly didn't fool her mom. She did however create a decent makeup in regard to the belly.

Last season's final challenge, Sam had a beautiful - probably too much so that it harmed the theme - "psychadellic" Little Mermaid set. (Well that and her makeup sadly had some issues that put her in fourth place).

They have also done a tattoo makeup challenge.

I think the main problem is though they use the basic pretty stuff in the foundation challenge and not in the spotlight challenge. That's why more of the ugly horror type characters.

Maybe they should do like they did in the final four challenge and set up specific genres the contestants have to choose from - but remove horror and apocalypse from the choices. They should have "Sci-Fi," "Psychadellic," "Steampunk" (Which was a choice last season's final four but not selected), "Fairy tale" and maybe one or two others such as western and Victorian.

Then in these say that they should try to stay to their literal translations, which all three judges know what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post

I preferred the lion fish too. Although it didn't have the movement that several others did in the water, I liked that the mouth moved and looked like a fish mouth. Plus, the paint job was stunning.

I think if the judges had asked - or Matt had offered the information - about whose idea the fabric was, Tara would have won. That seemed to be one of the things the judges liked the most. I was surprised that they didn't ask who came up with it.

Poor Jerry (and hey, why is it Jerry with a J if his name is Gerald? Weird). The turtle was definitely a turd-le. He seems to have a very high opinion of his abilities, but he hasn't shown anything that warrants that opinion. He needs to put up or shut up. Yes, that paint job Nix did was pretty awful, but the "shell" coming off was Jerry's fault...unless I'm misremembering who did what.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I preferred the lion fish too. Although it didn't have the movement that several others did in the water, I liked that the mouth moved and looked like a fish mouth. Plus, the paint job was stunning.

I think if the judges had asked - or Matt had offered the information - about whose idea the fabric was, Tara would have won. That seemed to be one of the things the judges liked the most. I was surprised that they didn't ask who came up with it.

Poor Jerry (and hey, why is it Jerry with a J if his name is Gerald? Weird). The turtle was definitely a turd-le. He seems to have a very high opinion of his abilities, but he hasn't shown anything that warrants that opinion. He needs to put up or shut up. Yes, that paint job Nix did was pretty awful, but the "shell" coming off was Jerry's fault...unless I'm misremembering who did what.
    Jerry did the prosthetics, Nix the paint. Out of those categories, Jerry's was the bigger offender as people tend to be more forgiving on an odd paint job on a turtle (what there to say that this isn't a weird hybrid turtle a la the Mockingjay of "Hunger Games"?) than they are on prosthetics that fall apart and worse, cause the actor to panic, which is what I felt when I saw this actor trying to get into the water and move around. I have little doubt those eyes leaked and filled the face area with water.

Nix was ousted more because of the fact he was in the bottom two and backtracked in his opinion on who should go home. Had he stayed firm I think he'd had a better shot at staying.

On Tara's and Matt's the judges asked who did the sculpting, and Matt did more of the work. I think that's what got him the win. They did go on in regard to the fabric, but I think it was the combo that caused the result. IMHO though, I think on teams they need to have BOTH people the winners as now they do not do the who do you think should be eliminated.

I do find it funniest though that everyone - including me - loved the lionfish who in makeup had trouble staying awake. It probably however was more for the best though - because that napping may have helped him be wide awake to move about in the makeup when it came to judging. He wasn't the most elegant, but like a lion, he was commanding that water display.

Who is John Galt?

I missed last season because I didn't realize what it was about. I LOVE this show and am fascinated with the artistry of the contestants conceptualizing and creating their "monsters". Amazing!
    ness likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast