+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/16 episode *Spoilers*

3/16 episode *Spoilers*

Overall, a very strong conclusion to the season. I loved all four "live action comic" type vignettes that were created.

Loved Sam's, but she honestly didn't take Psychadellic far enough and she knew it. She could've had brighter colors and possibly maybe had bits of Kitsch on the Mermaid and Witch to make the sureal aspect work. Still a very valiant effort and as the judges said, she has come a long way from the beginning. She also chose well for her assistants.

Tate's was also very strong, and I thought was going to win. Red Riding Hood and the Wolf were VERY WELL conceived and executed. Less was more in Red Riding Hood, and the wolf was just wow for the time it took. I think he truly was the runner up.

Gage's Hansel and Gretel was very well conceived too - though I don't think he quite got industrial. When I think Industrial I think steam punk and the like, not quite cyborg. Did like the the overall design, and it too showed his advancement and learning from the show as he went further along.

Conor - our winner - also had an excellent design and I can see why the judges picked him over Tate in the end. He understood the mechanics of making a convincing make up both in look and functionality. Again, he created an important aspect of a frog that people know well and it worked well. Plus, the actor was able to make that feature function quite well. The witch too was well conceived - and not your typical witch, and the bark looked real even though it wasn't.

Overall, any of them could've won this competition, and all were deserving. I like the fact the judges actually took this competition seriously as they do their jobs, and they chose an excellent final four and winner. I'm glad they're doing a second season, but the newcomers are going to have some big shoes to fill.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: 3/16 episode *Spoilers*

Yes, great episode.

I agreed with Sam's self-assessment. I couldn't believe it when she picked Jo and Megan for her team, but they were professional all the way.

Tate's, Conor's, and Gage's creations were all terrific. I kept changing my mind about whose I liked best. Loved Tate's back story, Conor's mechanics, and the details Gage included. I would have been happy with any of them winning. I figured with tonight being a three-way tie, the judge's were likely to give the win to Tate or Conor as they had been a bit stronger than Gage over the course of the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Yes, great episode.

I agreed with Sam's self-assessment. I couldn't believe it when she picked Jo and Megan for her team, but they were professional all the way.
    I was surprised too, but given that both knew how to do color and do it well, I can see why Sam did it. In fact, the coloring, save having a more mute background and needing the same color on the mermaid's flesh toned skin, was quite nice.

Tate's, Conor's, and Gage's creations were all terrific. I kept changing my mind about whose I liked best. Loved Tate's back story, Conor's mechanics, and the details Gage included. I would have been happy with any of them winning. I figured with tonight being a three-way tie, the judge's were likely to give the win to Tate or Conor as they had been a bit stronger than Gage over the course of the competition.
    I wasn't disappointed in the wins either - I was just happy we indeed had FOUR worthy winners to choose from and not three good and one coattails type rider.

Probably the first season where the phrase "We wish there could be more than one winner" has held a lot of truth to it.

Oh, and on the viewer contest, I loved the finalists, but would've liked the beauty-alien type to win over the one who did. I'd just like to see a makeup that isn't horror/gruesome/post-apocalyptic zombie type win.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post

Probably the first season where the phrase "We wish there could be more than one winner" has held a lot of truth to it.
    So true. I was also impressed with the work with eliminated contestants did. Usually when the eliminated contestants are brought back as helpers, there's at least one with the attitude of "why should I put myself out; there's nothing in this for me." I thought Frank might go down that road, but all of these people really gave it their all.

In fact, throughout much of this season, with only a few exceptions, the contestants mostly treated each other as colleagues rather than competitors, giving feedback and helping out on occasion.

Oh, and on the viewer contest, I loved the finalists, but would've liked the beauty-alien type to win over the one who did. I'd just like to see a makeup that isn't horror/gruesome/post-apocalyptic zombie type win.
    I missed the viewer contest - I'll have to go look and see what that was about.

I loved the finale... I was kind of pulling for Tate. It was such a good contest and they were all worthy. I agree that Tate & Conner had the best bodies of work over the contest and were the superior candidates. Gage did knock it out of the park on this one though!

They will all be successful I think, even the ones eliminated.

Looking at the elimination flashes, I don't remember the guy who did the Native American in front of a Tornado. I thought his painting was really good. I was thinking... I could see that hanging in a bank or some other business. I need to go back and watch that ep again and see why they eliminated him instead of Frank.

I didn't even know about this. I have been downloading the episodes so I guess they were cutting that part out. It's been a contest all season eh and they picked a contestant from home (or online)?

I hope they do another version of this or something similar. I like it so much more than most of the other reality shows.

Quote Originally Posted by scoot13 View Post
    Looking at the elimination flashes, I don't remember the guy who did the Native American in front of a Tornado. I thought his painting was really good. I was thinking... I could see that hanging in a bank or some other business. I need to go back and watch that ep again and see why they eliminated him instead of Frank.
    Actually, Frank wasn't in danger of elimination that week. Frank was deemed safe because his painting just blended the guy into the painting itself. It was a bad idea, as he added an odd lamp shade to his head so there was a floating shade in front of an elevator, but the paint itself was good.

I think it was down to Sergio and the outdoor copper sculpture designs, and Sergio was eliminated because his body paint was very simple and didn't really show much inspiration. They also had 6 hours to do the paint, and what he showed was something you could do in about 30 minutes.

I didn't even know about this. I have been downloading the episodes so I guess they were cutting that part out. It's been a contest all season eh and they picked a contestant from home (or online)?
    Online contest they had advertised all through the season. I never had a chance to enter myself, but given they wanted full makeup and not sketches, I couldn't have done it anyway.

I hope they do another version of this or something similar. I like it so much more than most of the other reality shows.
    I like it, but I hope that they get casts who act like this - let their work speak for themselves - good and bad. None of this backstabbing drama nonsense.

Wooo! A Season 2 is in the offing!

I admit to being shocked that Connor won, but I should have known better because edit had him saying he was going to lose with the weeping and wailing.

For horror, though not genre details, I really liked Gage's concept. Yowza, the hands from inside the witch's belly would have given me nightmares as a child.

Tate found his post-apocalyptic with the gatling gun arm, and I like that the werewolf was white to match the location, but you really had to look close to see the fine detail in Red - like a piece of wolf stuck to her.

I agree that Sam should have gone bolder and stronger...perhaps bringing in a revolving rainbow pinwheel or something. Her witch was all right, but the mermaid could have used some more definition in the transformation.

That is where Connor was given props. I loved the "earthy tree" witch, but would have liked to see more of the human not yet transformed. The working throat bladder was genius, though. Since he had slipped on some of the later challenges, I'd forgotten how good his earlier work was...glad they showed a slide show.

Looking forward to Season 2.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Actually, Frank wasn't in danger of elimination that week. Frank was deemed safe because his painting just blended the guy into the painting itself. It was a bad idea, as he added an odd lamp shade to his head so there was a floating shade in front of an elevator, but the paint itself was good.

I think it was down to Sergio and the outdoor copper sculpture designs, and Sergio was eliminated because his body paint was very simple and didn't really show much inspiration. They also had 6 hours to do the paint, and what he showed was something you could do in about 30 minutes.

Online contest they had advertised all through the season. I never had a chance to enter myself, but given they wanted full makeup and not sketches, I couldn't have done it anyway.

I like it, but I hope that they get casts who act like this - let their work speak for themselves - good and bad. None of this backstabbing drama nonsense.
    I remember some of that. I agree, I really appreciated the way they co-operated and gave honest opinions of the others' work. The crap with Jo & Megan was the least interesting part of the series. Jo really came off kind of pathetic IMO. I'm surprised that we didn't get a good catty clip from her in the finale.

I'm pretty proud of myself for calling Conor as the winner a while back. That NEVER happens! I think he was very deserving, although I would have been happy with any of the top three winning. If Sam had done better work in this final challenge, I would have been happy to see her win. I just didn't think her work was up to the level of the other three.

The mouth/chin bladder thing in Conor's frogman was incredible. The judges seemed really impressed with how he worked it into the appliance instead of just putting in under everything. I thought his work was terrific. I liked Tate's idea, but the werewolf just wasn't fully realized. He just didn't have the time to get the fur done well enough.

For me, it was a toss-up between Conor and Gage. That witch Gage did was SO frightening. Her mouth and face didn't seem like they were movable the way Conor's frog was though. Maybe that was one of the things that made the difference for the judges.

I was REALLY impressed by all the people who came to the "party" in this episode. It was a who's who of special effects makeup.

I was thrilled to see the commercial announcing a second season! I love this show!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I didn't think I would like this show as much as I did. I was pleasantly surprised the entire time.
    I think if Tate would have been able to (all along) realize his ideas to their full potential he would have become much more of a contender.

It was a toss up between Conor and Gage. Though I have no doubt either of them will have tough times finding work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast