+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2/16 show

2/16 show

This one is a brief summary at this time.

There was no makeup challenge, and the contestants went to the place where the "Psycho" house and Bates motel are.

The spotlight challenge was to create a new villain.

The winner of the challenge - Tom, created an evil child who had a teddy bear for part of his face. It was rather demented, but very good - especially since he also made the weapon a yo-yo (beating and strangling was the uses). I can see however the judge's comments about him getting therapy (jokingly I might add).

Bottom three were Marcel, Megan and one other person whose makeup was generic and forgettable. Tom recommended Megan be eliminated because her makeup was static (i.e. you couldn't talk with it) and you couldn't actually do anything really with it if it were a movie.

The judges however eliminated Marcel, who had a very plain basic makeup (burn makeup and half a ski mask), and set it at a roller rink. There was plenty of good ideas here, but he made the weapon an axe - which I go, why not use a skate as a weapon that shoots the wheels with blades on them. What saved the other fellow I think was he had at least created a better makeup.

Sam - my favorite - was again safe, but I was rather disappointed in her work. I think she could've pushed the china doll bit a bit more, and instead of doing a mask which removed with a deformed face underneath, made her face broken china with pieces separating with the skin/whatnot underneath - all on the face. I DID like her idea, but the execution was not good.

Jo's was safe, but not a bad idea - a nun who was deformed. I think too she could've pushed this a bit more.

Next week's ep looks promising, it's a (spoiler alert)
    Click to see Spoiler:
    gender swap and they are working in teams. Sam and her partner look like they're in danger, and there was only one paring shown - a Chinese looking couple. I'm SO hoping they don't do this "you're being racist" issue again - I've seen very convincing Asian makeup on people in the past and even in the present to make a Caucasian Oriental.

BTW, I think that they will be doing team events every even turn until there are four left. Too obvious given the way they've done it so far.

Re: 2/16 show

I really liked Sam's idea, but agree that the porcelain mask should have been the face - it would have been much creepier. I thought the movie posters were a great idea - with the actual model giving the poster a 3-D effect. While Marcel was off in concept, I had hoped Megan would leave. Her "mask" with the bulging, static teeth was unusable except for still photos.

The fused teddy bear was the creepiest, and Tom's use of the yoyo as weapon fit the character to a t (for teddy bear). If I were to do this challenge, it would, of course, have to be a clown - so over done.

It was interesting that now that the judges are getting to know the contestants' personalities they picked up and remembered that Tom had problems with Megan previously. They may have discounted his testimony for just that.

Come on, Sam - get out of the middle, but not to crash to the bottom!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

One of the things really like about this show is how the contestants will jump in to help each other, like when Gage and Marcel needed help with their silicone this week. It's happened more than once and I think that probably speaks to the collaborative nature of the field.

It was a toss up for me between Megan and Marcel this week. I thought Megan's idea was better than Marcel's - her execution failed, but at least she tried. Marcel's was something I could do and I don't know anything about horror movies.

I think Jo is talented, but she needs to get over her issues with Megan. We've seen so many contestants on reality shows sink themselves because they were so busy focusing on someone else. If Megan doesn't deserve to win, she won't.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    One of the things really like about this show is how the contestants will jump in to help each other, like when Gage and Marcel needed help with their silicone this week. It's happened more than once and I think that probably speaks to the collaborative nature of the field.

It was a toss up for me between Megan and Marcel this week. I thought Megan's idea was better than Marcel's - her execution failed, but at least she tried. Marcel's was something I could do and I don't know anything about horror movies.

I think Jo is talented, but she needs to get over her issues with Megan. We've seen so many contestants on reality shows sink themselves because they were so busy focusing on someone else. If Megan doesn't deserve to win, she won't.
    I agree with you on Marcel vs. Megan. While Megan's is worthless in filming unless the character doesn't talk (possible, but unlikely now), she did at least attempt to think outside the box and be creative.

Note too she didn't really have any sort of weapon, or if it was a camera, it wasn't really creative. (Old fashioned here mind you, but you could've had it where said baddy threw developer/stop/etc. and use the exposure machines to burn up the victims - and used bottles to describe that. Digital age, trap victims in camera and either upload them into realms of horror or just delete their picture - and life on the camera.

Marcel's to a T on the description. His was too simple, though done well. It was something we all could do. Even Frank (dare I say it) would've been better.

As far as Jo vs. Megan - Jo will harm herself if she continues the issue with Megan. If Megan had actually made her photographer more mobile in the reactions, I think she may have actually been safe and Jo in danger because Jo's was a little safe considering.

Talent wise out of those two, Jo is better. The mental game is going to come into issue long term.

Minor spoiler
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Depending on what is next week, we may be seeing Megan for a while. I think she's the one they showed with the rotating metal arm, and we haven't seen this scene yet in the show

Out of all three women left, Sam is probably the most creative; however, she needs to be a little bit more creative in the execution area. She's had great ideas in planning stages - which is why I was quite surprised and disappointed she did the china part as a mask instead of having it part of the face and maybe separated to show some sort of flesh in spots.

(Can I just say that I agree with Sam on china dolls - I've been to a few antique stores and doll shops that sell the antique Victorian-era dolls. They are very realistic and creepy if not viewed in normal/indoor lighting. At night they are quite scary, especially the couple I've seen in one store that repairs dolls that didn't have the eyes placed in them yet. )

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    One of the things really like about this show is how the contestants will jump in to help each other, like when Gage and Marcel needed help with their silicone this week. It's happened more than once and I think that probably speaks to the collaborative nature of the field. It was a toss up for me between Megan and Marcel this week. I thought Megan's idea was better than Marcel's - her execution failed, but at least she tried. Marcel's was something I could do and I don't know anything about horror movies. I think Jo is talented, but she needs to get over her issues with Megan. We've seen so many contestants on reality shows sink themselves because they were so busy focusing on someone else. If Megan doesn't deserve to win, she won't.
    Agree with you on all three fronts:

I'd much rather see good relationships between contestants than the pettiness.

Megan and Marcel were the bottom two. I would have kept Marcel because I like his body of work more than Megan's. But he very likely wasn't going to make it to the end anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

jadewarlock - those are fantastic ideas for a modern photographer horror villain.

+ Reply to Thread