+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2/2 Show

Re: 2/2 Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;4179154;
    I also agree with your post, jadewarlock. Since you summed it up so nicely, I'll take this opportunity to wonder about Jo's ear lobe. Now that I've figured out it is a distention and not a weird earring, I've got to wonder why. Not my business, of course, but to take a South American tribal form of beautification is interesting, and I'm afraid to admit, to me a little creepy.
    She's not the only one who has done this - there are a couple of guys and the first eliminated contestant who has done distention on their ears. Sam is one of the few women who hasn't - her earrings are big and odd shaped, but from the looks of them at the side, they have normal or just slightly larger gauge posts compared to normal earrings.

I wish Jo didn't have them though - she would be much prettier without her ears being distended. She plays off the goth beauty well though.

But I've noticed a lot of horror/sci-fi designers - at least here, tend to do this type of modification, even if not to this extreme. They will have the little life-saver looking things in their ears, but in a smaller size.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Unlike removing a tattoo you don't want anymore, I don't think the lobes can "shrink" like holes closing when you stop wearing earrings. I guess a fine plastic surgeon could sew them back together, but, really, that is a strong life choice.

I have also noticed the "round" rings in a couple of others as well. Perhaps if they want to dress up, they could dangle a bracelet from them. Goth has certainly evolved.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Once the lobes are stretched, they're like that for life unless you have plastic surgery. I don't judge body modifications - to each his/her own - having said that, the stretched lobes are not a choice I personally would make. Mind you I would probably catch them on something. I had a facial piercing for a while and I was always hooking it on to clothing and my hair brush. Owwwch.

We don't have SyFy in Canada but I caught this epi on our Space channel. What a neat show idea! I loved the body painting and completely agreed with the judges' choices. I'm so impressed with the talent and originality of these artists.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I was looking on their official Web site's forum, and I can't believe some of the responses from one of the fellows on this challenge.

He actually said Frank's was creative with the Elevator and that there was nothing wrong with a dis-standed (I know not a word), lampshade on the guy's head.

He said the petrified wood one was too predictable as well as the other designs. (He did mind you have Sergio's design spot on in his assessment).

Also, he said Sam's was safe and predictible - I'd like to see the fellow manage to draw fabric lines on a person, particularly a woman who was pretty well-endowed here, and keep them straight and looking like actual fabric and not body paint.

I'm like - "A lampshade on the guy's head is NOT part of that design - it makes no sense when you blend in the guy's body to the backdrop."

And, seriously - if he put a "little" thought into it, he could've had the guy balled up or on his knees with the back to the audience and had a luggage cart painted on him (or just piles of luggage), turned him into a bellhop and position him to where his nether region wasn't an issue, or hell even a fire and set the place on fire (i.e. a warning to not go down the elevator in case of fire).

BTW - none of the workers who had men actually painted that particular area - most were covered up or the person was turned for that reason.

Simply put - Frank was lazy and it showed. The sooner he's gone the better.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4182467;
    He actually said Frank's was creative with the Elevator and that there was nothing wrong with a dis-standed (I know not a word), lampshade on the guy's head.
    In a sense, he's right. But I think it'll be more along the lines that Frank's out-of-the-box thinking will get him eliminated early.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge;4182967;
    In a sense, he's right. But I think it'll be more along the lines that Frank's out-of-the-box thinking will get him eliminated early.
    Not sure how it's really creative - I think he was safe though simply because the painting was good and blended in rather well to the backdrop.

But one thing I think that Frank doesn't get - or understand well, that in a contest like this as well as real life, if you go into these types of design contests and do a half hearted job, they do eventually figure it out and will call you out on it.

Once he's out, I pretty much am happy with anyone winning - even Megan who while I thought she had a weak showing this week, at least showed some creativity. Her first week design was better though.

I like this show too. Frank is a fool. Did he really think he needed to defend his tattoo when they called him on it? That was as half-assed an effort as it gets and he tried to claim that there was some "artistic quality" to his "tracing". He is clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4184042;
    Not sure how it's really creative - I think he was safe though simply because the painting was good and blended in rather well to the backdrop.

But one thing I think that Frank doesn't get - or understand well, that in a contest like this as well as real life, if you go into these types of design contests and do a half hearted job, they do eventually figure it out and will call you out on it.

Once he's out, I pretty much am happy with anyone winning - even Megan who while I thought she had a weak showing this week, at least showed some creativity. Her first week design was better though.
    That's is and isn't what I meant. I didn't care for his submission; however, I think he's doing a half-assed job on purpose and conserving his energy for future events. By not even trying on the foundation challenges, I think it's fairly clear he doesn't really value them all that much, which he shouldn't, because unless they're giving out immunity from elimination every week, aren't really all that valuable. Working in a creative field can lead to brain-burn; I think he's strategically skating by in the middle of the pack right now to avoid flaming out in the competition, while the other competitors really seem to be going all-out now.

With that said, given his juvenile/frat-boy-esque demeanor and behavior, it's hard to tell if it's strategy, or if he's really just not trying.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge;4185165;
    That's is and isn't what I meant. I didn't care for his submission; however, I think he's doing a half-assed job on purpose and conserving his energy for future events. By not even trying on the foundation challenges, I think it's fairly clear he doesn't really value them all that much, which he shouldn't, because unless they're giving out immunity from elimination every week, aren't really all that valuable. Working in a creative field can lead to brain-burn; I think he's strategically skating by in the middle of the pack right now to avoid flaming out in the competition, while the other competitors really seem to be going all-out now.

With that said, given his juvenile/frat-boy-esque demeanor and behavior, it's hard to tell if it's strategy, or if he's really just not trying.
    I can see that point, but IMHO he's really taking a chance, because the judges will take note of that work as well if one should happen to be a judge for that challenge.

And some of the designers you can tell won't be as easy to burn out and have done this type of pressure work before. Others, such as Tate and as Jo did, will most likely use their critiques to boost their works and improve on them. Given a half-hearted work and being safe will potentially cost him in the end because he's losing that potentially valuable information - pro and con.

I personally feel he's not even trying - the tracing was a huge point there, and being done with 30 mins. to spare on a flat alien design that even I could've made (and I've got somewhat shaky hands in regard to painting skills) doesn't bode well for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4185206;
    I can see that point, but IMHO he's really taking a chance, because the judges will take note of that work as well if one should happen to be a judge for that challenge.

And some of the designers you can tell won't be as easy to burn out and have done this type of pressure work before. Others, such as Tate and as Jo did, will most likely use their critiques to boost their works and improve on them. Given a half-hearted work and being safe will potentially cost him in the end because he's losing that potentially valuable information - pro and con.

I personally feel he's not even trying - the tracing was a huge point there, and being done with 30 mins. to spare on a flat alien design that even I could've made (and I've got somewhat shaky hands in regard to painting skills) doesn't bode well for him.
    If you rewatch the first episode, Tate says regarding Frank, and I quote: "He's talented, he's quick, he knows his [censored], and I think the judges will honestly get a kick out of what we do." Assuming that what Tate says is true, it could be that Frank is has all the skills, but he's just avoiding stressing out too much the way the other competitors have.

I'm not condoning what he's doing. I'm just saying, maybe, there's a method to his madness.
    Revenge is ice cream.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast