+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1/26 Premiere Episode

1/26 Premiere Episode

Okay, I'm going to enjoy this show, but at times I felt the artists were scarier than their half human creations.

The right person went home. quack quack
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 1/26 Premiere Episode

First off, I'm glad this has its own forum now. It's deserving of one, so thanks for doing that.

I do agree with you on most of the designers - they seriously have the goth/punk thing going on. There are only a couple I'd say that dress fairly normal, such as the woman who went home and a couple of others.

But, I do go by their talent and now what they're wearing. Which is good because some of the designers are extremely talented.

I loved the top two designs of the first challenge (immunity one). I was a little grossed out on the flower in the face one, and have to question HOW the bouquet bent so much when shoved in his face the handle was in the front (I'd put it in the back), but it was a nice take on horror. The alien one I did think was more creative and used the items in the banquet room more creatively, but I can see how the flower one won.

The others in this challenge were mostly bland, repetitive (i.e. the one with like a Joker wide face hole) and boring.

In the Spotlight (elimination) challenge, as I mentioned before I think the top two were deserving, as was the ostrich one that was safe. I still think they were third in the ranking, as the safe beetle one was a little boring and safe compared to the ostrich's team's risk.

The elephant one that won I think was amazing. They were so right about the mechanics of the mouth and how when the actor moved his jaw down to make it look like he was swallowing - that's how an elephant's jaw moves and looks like. The hands too were amazing.

The beetle that was in the top two - I totally agree on the Darth Vader similarity, but it'd been a little hard to shape the headdress without it looking like any robot. (A little shorter, it'd been like Twiki from "Buck Rogers"). That said, I loved how they made the jointed animated hands that the actress inside manipulated. Well worth the win.

The bottom two - elephant and ostrich - oh good gravy on tofu they were bad. The elephant one looked like a mutant, and not in a good way. It looked unfinished, too weird and the costuming was weak.

The ostrich one - the face reminded me of Howard the Duck. I agreed on the skull cap - this is a makeup competition so one should know they'd do close ups for mechanics of the prosthetics. The rest (costume, feet) were also very bad. I think this is the paring who had half shoes and half feet, and that looked bad. I agreed with the judge that this would NOT be used even in a children's show. And, the right one went home here too.

This is one of the few shows I've seen that I actually like in reality. I think these judges will base their decisions on what is being shown, not popularity, not (hopefully) producers/network interfering, etc. The future challenges look interesting, and some cases will check their modesty and the like, but I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I was really impressed by the judging panel. Their list of credits blow the mind. While I'm not a creature features person, I really liked the winning elephant - like you said and the judges noticed - the neck moved when he raised his head and one really got the elephant skin on the neck. I think where the losing ladies went wrong was the original thought that they were designing for a fashion show. The face looked like a mask models might wear down the runway of an avant garde show and not actually be the model's face.

I get that artists go grunge and that it is the look of relaxed concentration and focus - I guess it is my old age peeking through even though I don't consider myself conservative in spirit.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I enjoyed the show, but I HATE team challenges. Either one person has to give in and let the other person have their way so they don't waste too much time arguing about the design, or they compromise their way to a mediocre design.

I enjoyed it, but I agree Kip. I dislike team challenges at such an early stage. I'd rather see individual work straight away. I was impressed with almost all the work though! Even the ones that I didn't care for were still (mostly) things I wouldn't be able to do.

I'm late, but I watched the premiere online just now. It wasn't my favorite, but I actually kind of liked it! It's something new, that's for sure.

I would have picked Sergio to go home over Jessica, but I'm not losing sleep over her elimination. I immediately thought of Daisy when I saw the model... and that's not a good thing.

This is the only episode they have on the Syfy website. I was hoping there would be episodes OnDemand, but nope. I guess I'll have to search for web for the other episodes!
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard View Post
    This is the only episode they have on the Syfy website. I was hoping there would be episodes OnDemand, but nope. I guess I'll have to search for web for the other episodes!
    We watch them on OnDemand every week...I went looking once I missed the first episode.

SyFy online is weird...they put up the first episodes of various shows within 24 hours, but the rest of the episodes will be uploaded 30 days after they air.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    We watch them on OnDemand every week...I went looking once I missed the first episode.

SyFy online is weird...they put up the first episodes of various shows within 24 hours, but the rest of the episodes will be uploaded 30 days after they air.
    That's how I'm watching them too I ALWAYS forget the show is on, so it's good that I'm not having to rely in SyFy. They seem to be up on OnDemand the next morning.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Wait, they're on OnDemand? I obviously didn't look into it well enough.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

My daughter and I just found the show tonight. We watched the first two episodes On Demand and the next few are still there for us to watch. I don't know if our On Demand is different than others, but there is a small left - right sliding bar area that goes thru a few other shows like Ghost Hunters, etc. and Face Off is an option to click. It then brings up all the previous episodes without having to wait a month.
    It does seem to follow a lot of similar type shows that the contestants that you see a lot of in the beginning will most likely be gone shortly. We have seen some awesome work and the names don't quickly come to mind like the crappy ones.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!!

+ Reply to Thread