+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6-30 Show

FORT Fan

6-30 Show

Did no one watch tonight? I'm watching now after work, and here are my thoughts:

I can't believe they put the teams on Arabians, ESPECIALLY since it sounds like they got all stallions (at least that's what one team mentioned) Arabians are a challenge to even a skilled rider...and stallions instinct is to fight each other, especially if they don't have a firm hand guiding them. I'm surprised more of the racers weren't thrown. That being said, I laughed when the Kansas team said they'd be awesome at that part because they were "from Kansas and there are horses in Kansas". Yeah, I've been in a plane too, but don't ask me to excel at flying one. The Country Boys did really well, although I noticed one of them doing what my riding instructor used to call 'the butterfly'-flapping your arms in an attempt to get the horse going faster. She took FOREVER breaking me of that habit! Extra kudos to the blind guy for riding with only verbal instructions and not on a lead.

The water challenge was very interesting. I liked that the country boys were able to think outside the box and figure out how to plug the holes on the big bucket and make that work when the challenge designers clearly intended that the small bucket to be used. And I liked that the teams had to do the challenge all together, and weren't able to leave the weaker members behind while the strong ones did all the work. Seems like it's a rule that they CAN'T finish a task unless all team members participate.

"The thing about country boys is they love their country cooking." HAHAHAHA...and so true! I'd rather have my chicken and biscuits than not.

I have to say, SUPER impressed by the courage of the blind guy. They spent a lot of time in the first episode showing people marveling at him competing in such a physical race, but they should have just waited and let it show this episode. Because I can't even fathom trying to ride an Arabian stallion, or deal with river rapids while bling. It's one thing to be on a relatively placid camel being led on a rope or digging to find water, and an entirely different story being on an incredibly moody and unpredictable animal or going down a river without being able to judge where the currents are or when you're going to come up on them.

I liked the last challenge a lot-it answers a complaint of the digging for water challenge in the first episode. Unless two teams worked together, there was no way to piggyback off the efforts of other teams because there was no finished product left behind. very cool.

Re: 6-30 Show

I enjoyed this episode much more than the first one. Maybe because the teams are getting a little more familiar. I did find it strange that most teams seemed to find the bridge with very little trouble, but that 3 got lost. Was it a problem with map reading or was the map fairly useless?

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

This episode was alright. The team I pretty much wanted to go the most, did end up going, so that was nice. Especially knowing Erik beat them after one of their comments against him in early episode 1.

The Cops and The California Girls I didn't remember talking at all from the first episode, and we heard from them this time so that's good. Speaking of The California Girls, they caught up well after being in last at one point. Happy to see Grandpa's Warriors and The Country Boys finish in the middle and above, catching up from last week.

for some reason I kept thinking Fat Bottomed Boys during the kayaking part of the race. Still it was scary watching people who don't have the skill set do these challenges.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I know before the show started the host mentioned that all the teams were given a basic survival skills test. Was no one awake during the map reading session. Interesting how the Cops and the Fishermen both had one team member who thought they were right and they had made way for them.

I watched both episodes online now, and that's probably how I'll catch the rest of them. I enjoyed them, without getting invested in who wins. I do like the Gypsies. Maybe because they seem to be enjoying themselves a lot. The only ones that seem to be enjoying it.

The River part seemed quite odd to me. The water was very shallow but moving quite fast, which is not usually the case, particularly when there are not narrow banks constricting and directing the flow. I'm sure it was scary for the one Fab 3 guy, but his going under the bridge was kinda funny.

I started wondering if they'd put a burr or some irritant under the horses' saddles. Although only that one grey seemed to be a real hazard.

Do they have some rule about staying within a certain number of yards of teammates? I noticed one cop browbeating the female team member into climbing up somewhere he had gone to take a look. I couldn't understand why she had to go up with him, if he was just checking out the lay of the land. I didn't understand what caused them to get so lost either. That one male cop seems to have an ego problem. I kind of snickered at the firemen deciding if the cops went one way, they were going the other. Really probably more a decision to trust their own reading of the situation, but it made me laugh.

It's enough different from Amazing Race, and the challenges really challenges, so I expect to continue to be interested in it. I find the host dull and boring -- in that case, I wish they'd have actually ripped off Amazing Race and gotten a Phil-alike!

Now they're racing! I like the puzzle challenges. They (especially the lantern) sort of remind me of that American History race (NBC) a few summers ago which was all puzzles. It was both funny and sad to watch some of the more bottom heavy racers try to push their way through the shallow rapids. I think the cops and firemen look to a chain of command and that is why one member gives the directions, etc. Sorry to see Kansas go, but there is still an all girl team in CAGirls. So, the first two teams to "be rescued by helicopter" were all girl teams.

I do like the gypsies. So far they are pretty much breezing and coping better than others.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Akbar is annoying me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Sorry to see Kansas go, but there is still an all girl team in CAGirls. So, the first two teams to "be rescued by helicopter" were all girl teams.

I do like the gypsies. So far they are pretty much breezing and coping better than others.
    Team Kansas (three sisters) are still in it. It was Mom's Army (mom & two daughters) who were eliminated. So there are two female teams, Kansas and California, still competing. The Latina chicks .... well, two of them had the right attitude (if not the skills), but WTH was the third one doing there? They even got NICE camels (as far as I could tell). If there's another season, perhaps some competent Latina's will be inspired to compete and erase the memory of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy van Pelt View Post
    Team Kansas (three sisters) are still in it. It was Mom's Army (mom & two daughters) who were eliminated. So there are two female teams, Kansas and California, still competing. The Latina chicks .... well, two of them had the right attitude (if not the skills), but WTH was the third one doing there? They even got NICE camels (as far as I could tell). If there's another season, perhaps some competent Latina's will be inspired to compete and erase the memory of this team.
    Big Ooopsie again. All those blonds are blinding me. Now I can see in my mind's eye the tired mom and her two chicks.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread