+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 03/06 Episode 6 Recap ~ Hey Mister, Can You Spare A Dime, Or $20?

03/06 Episode 6 Recap ~ Hey Mister, Can You Spare A Dime, Or $20?

Hey, kids now that the Oscars have come and gone, it’s time to get back to business. However, you should know that during our imposed vacation, it was decided small forums such as this, will be reduced to mini-recaps. You can rest assured I will still cover the heart-stopping drama…it will just be in a shorter format. With that said, let’s get back to the all-important search to find out who’s going to win the illustrious title of The Entertainer. I don’t know about you, but one week without Wayne is like a day without sunshine. So put on your SPF30, and let’s dive into Wayne’s gilded pool...

A Few Choice Words

The show opens with Theresa taking a bubble bath, with soapsuds concealing vital information. I’m sure Mr. Blurry Guy is upset to discover his talents won’t be needed. Anyway, Dave is sitting in a chair watching her, and they are discussing the fact that they have 24 hours to consummate their marriage. There is some talk about what ‘consummate’ means, but I’m completely distracted as I watch Theresa caress/fondle/stroke her wine glass. I wonder how many men in the audience have replayed that scene more than a few times. Maybe Mr. Blurry Guy will be needed after all…perhaps he should stick around.

Meanwhile the winners of last week’s challenge, Sarah, Jennifer, Delisco and Dave get to see Danny Gans perform, and get some one-on-one time with him backstage. In case I’m not the only one who doesn’t know who he is, I did some research. He is described as a singer-comedian-impressionist-actor. I guess if you threw our contestants together in a blender, what you’d pour into your glass would be Danny Gans. He regales them with his life story, but this isn’t just idle chatter. He also gets serious and gives them a few choice words. No, not those choice words, but words of advice such as don’t let negative people get in the way of realizing your dream. Also, don’t go into show business if your sole reason is to be a star. Get into it because you love it. Oh, and don’t talk at home…write notes. Well, there was more to this last bit of advice, but I don’t want to get bogged down in details. I’ll explain more in a note later, ha! By the way, he did a fabulous impression of our main man, Wayne. Now that’s entertainment.

Joe, The Consolation Prize

As Sarah discovers her boyfriend has left her, Joe is right there to give her words of encouragement and support. Am I the only one who thought there was a slight look of hope in Joe’s eyes when he heard she was now unattached? But Sarah is so broken-hearted about the news from home, it takes what appears to be 10 minutes to get around to looking for someone new. Watch out Joe, it’s generally not a good idea to be the rebound/transition guy. She asks Dave if he thinks Joe likes her, and I groan. What, are we in grade school here? Please, if she starts talking about, “does he ‘like me’ like me” I’m going to scream. But Dave saves the conversation from turning into schmaltz by relying on sarcasm…my kind of guy. I loved it, and apparently so did Sarah and Delisco.

Let’s Do It In The Road

The following day, our group is directed to Fremont Street where they learn they will become street performers for the afternoon, with all monies donated to the charity, “Opportunity Village.” They will be split into two teams once again, and will be aided and judged by the Scintas, along with Chrissy and Peter O‘Donnell. We are informed the Scintas are headliners at the Rio, but I have no idea who Chrissy and Peter are, sorry. Apparently, the folks at The Entertainer website don’t know them either…as they’re not even mentioned. Teams for this task will be Joe (team captain), Sarah, and Theresa as the Red Team. Delisco (team captain), Dave and Jennifer make up the Black Team. They each get one end of the street and quickly throw acts together they hope will bring them attention, and more importantly, donations.

Red Team

As they get Joe’s props set up, he is initializing a plan and organizing the act. It seems his type of craft has taught him to think quickly, and roll with the punches. Joe starts them off with some of his jokes, most of which we’ve already seen several times this season. I remember Steve Martin saying once that you can get years out of a stand-up act live, but one night on television and the world has seen it. This is an advantage the singers have over the comics in this challenge. By simply choosing a different song, they have a completely different performance. However, Joe also includes some break dancing, while Sarah sings beautifully, and Theresa does a wonderful version of a Dionne Warwick song.

They do run into some problems, though. Just as they begin to gather momentum, the batteries die in Joe’s boom box. Also, they were warned to dress warmly, but Theresa not heeding this advice, gets cold and apparently wanders off to get a warmer coat and to change her shoes…without telling her teammates. Meanwhile, Joe improvises with his props, and Sarah hustles the crowd. Both of them feel betrayed by Theresa, but succeed in entertaining the tourists. If Theresa thought she was cold before, just wait until she feels the icy reception she gets upon her return.

Black Team

Delisco and Jennifer begin setting up their props, but have trouble erecting an easel, so everyone resorts to just doing what they do best. Delisco plays his harmonica and sings, Dave tells jokes, and Jennifer claps her hands and sings. I’m a veteran reality tv junkie, so I’m not sure if it’s the editing, or if they truly were as disjointed as the show would want us to think, but it looks like a rough beginning for them. At one point Delisco attempts to sing, but quits midstream because they just can’t get a crowd gathered. Jennifer takes over and does a wonderful rendition of Aretha Franklin’s Respect, and people begin to react. Their money jug slowly fills, but talk about your tough crowds. There is definitely a trick to getting passersby to stop, even with the cameramen there. We’ve all seen television reporters live on camera before, with all the fools standing behind them waving to mom and acting like general idiots. But in Vegas, it would appear people are not so inclined. Perhaps they don’t want loved ones to know they’re there…the old what happens in Vegas… thing? I found that fascinating, but maybe that was just me.

Jennifer encourages kids passing by to be her backup singers while Dave does his impressions. The teams are informed they will be allowed to bid on a sound system. They each total their money quickly, and the Black Team decides to bid $30, while the Red Team bids $60, and therefore gets the sound system. This worries the Black Team, because they feel it could mean the Red Team has done better than them, and now with the sound system, will bring in even more money. This really kicks them into high gear. With one minute left, Delisco and Jennifer resort to the tried and true method of raising money by stamping their feet. Either that, or they’re trying to make it rain, take your pick. Time is up, and Dave is proud of his team saying no one took a break, no one whined, and everyone hustled.

You Wanna Bet?

Meanwhile with 30 minutes left, the Red Team sets up the sound system, but the foot traffic has begun to slow down so it might not be much help. Their morale is pretty low, and Joe states that between them overbidding for the system, and Theresa wandering off, they feel like they might have lost the challenge.

The two teams are brought together with the proposition that they can take up to half the money they earned, and put it on one spin of the roulette wheel. The ball lands on black, and the Red Team shows their wager to be $75, which brings their total to $129.39. The Black Team opted not to wager anything, which means their total is $316.28, making them the winners of the competition.

Let The Finger Pointing Begin

Once back in the suite, the blaming is in full gear. Theresa thinks Joe wasn’t a good leader, Joe feels Theresa let them down by wandering off, and Sarah has the good sense to stay out of it. Smart girl. Theresa tearfully adds that with Joe having a school-boy crush on Sarah, she felt like an outcast during the challenge. Basically, after watching the three of them interact for quite some time, there is one thing I am sure of…it sucks to lose.

I’ll Be The Judge Of That

The judges tell Wayne that Delisco wasn’t such a great leader, but given some time, he did pretty well. Once again, Jennifer gets rave reviews, with her voice being described as “beyond words.” They were impressed by her hustling, too. They enjoyed Dave’s impressions, and said overall they made a great team.

The judges say the Red Team started strong, but as time went on, they lost momentum. They tell Wayne about Theresa wandering off, and Joe’s batteries dying. I’m thinking, this entire competition was only 90 minutes…it seems crazy to me these people couldn’t keep their act going for 90 minutes??? But I’m not an entertainer, so what do I know?

The teams join Wayne on stage, and Theresa is standing perfectly erect, so we know the time has come for Wayne to lower the guillotine. He begins by telling Dave his DeNiro imitation was a crowd favorite, and although Delisco was a little slow in taking on the leader role, he did a good job. He says Jennifer sang her heart out, and overall the team did great.

He asks the Red Team to step forward. He begins with telling Sarah she was clearly out of her element performing on the streets, but in the end she pulled in the dollars. He tells Joe he took a lot of time setting his props up, and that he was a little unfocused. At this point, Joe looks like he’s going to be sick. I’m guessing the stress is getting to him, although it could be the all-you-can-eat shrimp buffet churning in his stomach. Wayne finally adds that Joe recovered nicely, and that taking pictures of kids in his shark prop was a ‘stroke of genius.’ Joe lets out a heavy sigh of relief, and so do I. I was worried they were going to have to shout “clean up on center stage!”

Now Wayne turns his attention to Theresa, and the dramatic music builds in the background. He begins by telling Theresa she helped to get the crowd gathered, and when she sang she gave it her all. However, she didn’t dress warmly enough, and she didn’t tell her team when she left to get a coat. He scolds her about how you cannot leave your team hanging like that…it is unacceptable. He allows Joe and Sarah to step back into the safety of darkness, and turns his full attention to Theresa. As her lip begins to tremble, he continues to inform her that she let her team down today. However, the way he’s steering the conversation, I can smell the big but(t) coming from a mile away, and I’m not surprised at all to hear him say, she may have let her team down, but everyone is safe this time. I hate when shows do this. It’s not that I love seeing people suffer, I don’t. I just think these non-elimination episodes are anticlimactic. But of course, Theresa is thrilled, and says that Wayne has taught her to be more aware of her surroundings. She continues that she might not be sure where she is going, but when she can see the light and someone directs her, she can go through it, and that’s what she plans on doing. I’ve heard people say the same thing about a near-death experience, and maybe that’s what she feels like she has just experienced. But does that make Wayne, God? I suppose to some people, he is a god of sorts, especially those who are on the payroll.

Wayne’s parting words…when you’re working for a charity, there are no losers. Therefore, the Black Team will head to Hollywood tonight to meet with an Academy-award-winning writer/actor, who is a friend of Wayne’s. They will have exclusive one-on-one time with this mystery person to discuss what it takes to make it as a performer.

The Red Team will dine as high rollers at one of the best restaurants in Vegas, then whisked off to one of the city’s hottest new (or did he say ‘nude’?) burlesque clubs. As Wayne dismisses them, everyone is happy with the outcome.

Next Week

Delisco, Jennifer and Dave take a private jet to meet our mysterious writer/actor, Joe and Sarah have some alone-time (as alone as you can be in a burlesque club), and Theresa apparently continues on her direct chute to the exit door.

Have any spare change? Contact me at roseskid@fansofrealitytv.com.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Thanks for the recap. It's always nice to read them to see if how you felt about a certain scene was shared by someone else. Great job!

Great recap, Roseskid.
    I actually like this show, even though the Vegas types creep me out more each time I see them. The men have these round, surgically lifted eyes, tight little perms and I swear one of the Scintas had his eyebrows waxed.
    Ewww, ewww, ewwww!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

FORT Newbie
    Great work Roses. Loved it.
    The part that left me unsettled about the whole show thus far is the Joe and Sarah saga. Joe sent roses, red ones btw, to a woman who is
    A. a competitor
    B. a team mate
    C. in a relationship

As much as I like the guy, it still seems insensitive and classless.
    She has a boyfriend, what was he trying to do? Inspire her to dump him? Twist her up so she would have difficulty in the competition? Perhaps just a selfish indulgence. No way for me to put a good spin on it. Also no way for me to think if Sarah had gone for her coat the Captain would have been 1/10th as vile with her. The leaders job is to lead. If Theresa was on my team I would have chased her down; or be whoever I needed to be to get the result.
    For example:

"Where have you been?"
    "I was cold, I went to get my coat."
    "Are you warm now? Let us know where you are going next time, OK? Now... are you ready to rock?"
    Berating doesn't make a strong leader, inspiring does.
    Yes she was out of line, but there was a much better way of handling it.
    The trio was a duo from the start, and I (for the 1st time) didn't think Theresa was as wrong as they made her out to be. I don't think she was lying when she said she felt left out, and if she had been eliminated, I would have been sick to my stomache.

Not personal toward Joe, I truly have enjoyed his contribution, and think he is awesome. But, he lost some points with me, and I did expect more from him, as one of the more senior members.

However, it is all elementary from here it seems, seems like Jennifer has it wrapped up thus far. She has been on the winning team everytime, and been the biggest reason for the win everytime. Spells winner to me!!!

GO JENNIFER!!! You ARE the Entertainer! Now... entertain us for years to come!

Last edited by Fenja; 03-08-2005 at 08:31 PM.

Great job as always roseskid. Really appreciate what you do here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenja
    Great work Roses. Loved it.
    The part that left me unsettled about the whole show thus far is the Joe and Sarah saga. Joe sent roses, red ones btw, to a woman who is
    A. a competitor
    B. a team mate
    C. in a relationship

As much as I like the guy, it still seems insensitive and classless.
    She has a boyfriend, what was he trying to do? Inspire her to dump him? Twist her up so she would have difficulty in the competition? Perhaps just a selfish indulgence. No way for me to put a good spin on it. Also no way for me to think if Sarah had gone for her coat the Captain would have been 1/10th as vile with her. The leaders job is to lead. If Theresa was on my team I would have chased her down; or be whoever I needed to be to get the result.
    For example:

"Where have you been?"
    "I was cold, I went to get my coat."
    "Are you warm now? Let us know where you are going next time, OK? Now... are you ready to rock?"
    Berating doesn't make a strong leader, inspiring does.
    Yes she was out of line, but there was a much better way of handling it.
    The trio was a duo from the start, and I (for the 1st time) didn't think Theresa was as wrong as they made her out to be. I don't think she was lying when she said she felt left out, and if she had been eliminated, I would have been sick to my stomache.

Not personal toward Joe, I truly have enjoyed his contribution, and think he is awesome. But, he lost some points with me, and I did expect more from him, as one of the more senior members.

However, it is all elementary from here it seems, seems like Jennifer has it wrapped up thus far. She has been on the winning team everytime, and been the biggest reason for the win everytime. Spells winner to me!!!

GO JENNIFER!!! You ARE the Entertainer! Now... entertain us for years to come!

For the most part I have to agree with Fenja and I admit I felt bad for Theresa. I really don't think her tears were an act.

Joe has been way cool for posting here.
    Looking forward to Jennifer's CD whenever that comes out.

Bill

One last thought, I'm not crazy about the team concept and the challanges. I mean we are here to see who is the Entertainer not a coach or manager.
    I still look forward to new episodes, I just wish they focused more on the talent.

Empress NaBisco
    Rose, thank you. Another great recap!

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegasfan
    One last thought, I'm not crazy about the team concept and the challanges. I mean we are here to see who is the Entertainer not a coach or manager.
    I still look forward to new episodes, I just wish they focused more on the talent.
    I thought the same thing. I don't know why reality TV producers feel the need to gild the lily, so to speak. Leadership matters in The Apprentice, but not for The Entertainer. Strategy and popularity matter in Survivor, but not Wickedly Perfect.
    If the competition is sound on its own merit, why introduce gimmicks?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

FORT Newbie
    Love teh recap! As always, hah-larious!

A couple notes from a Vegas "frequenteer":

Danny Gans is the only person thrilled about Sigfried and Roy because he was screwed to play second fiddle to them until the accident. i never like him or his stupid promos.

I believe that all four judges are the Scintas (it's a two brother and siter and that guy who plays drums group). Peter O'Donnell is like the "adopted" one, the drummer, and maybe the huband to Chrissy (I read that once, but later I read that he was just their drummer).

Rio has some really good entertainment: Penn and Teller (must see) and Ronn Lucas (definitly a must see! You will love him!) and the whole Mardi Gras in the sky... oh, they also do this neat thing where the cocktail waitresses and some of the bartenders will break out into song or dance, it's really fun.

+ Reply to Thread