+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eco-Challenge to skip calendar year 2003

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

Eco-Challenge to skip calendar year 2003

From InsideTriathlon.com
    Eco-Challenge officials confirm that the ninth edition of this expedition-style adventure race, which began in 1995 in Utah, would skip calendar year 2003 "because of the uncertainty of the world situation," according to media representative Monica Martino. Martino said that such uncertainty included the Iraq war. However, Martino added, plans are on for the next Eco-Challenge to be held "in the first quarter of 2004" at a site to be determined.

Several professional adventure racers said that the first choice of possible sites for the 2004 Eco-Challenge was Lesotho, South Africa, but that all details had not been worked out. Eco-Challenge CEO Mark Burnett was not available for comment until next week, said Martino, who could not confirm any site.

Another factor in shifting to a later date might be securing a new television contract. Eco-Challenge began with broadcasting the first events on the Discovery Channel, then USA Network. The USA Network contract expired after the 2002 Fiji Eco-Challenge, conducted last fall, and will not be renewed. Several adventure-racing professionals said that Burnett, who also produces the smash hit reality series Survivor, was attempting to negotiate a deal with a major -- not cable -- network for the Eco-Challenge broadcast.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

This is a real bummer.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

Well, if it results in being broadcast on a non-cable network, all the better.

Well that's true John.

As long as it's not Fox. I would hate to see what Fox would do to the integrity of this show.

And darn....I've been training all year to participate in this event too! Shucks.

Jumpin' on the Clay Train Bdawg's Avatar
    Originally posted by BravoFan
    This is a real bummer.
    Major bummer! This is probably the best "reality show" being produced. Unfortunately, most people aren't familiar with it. :mad:

Couldn't agree more Bdawg!

Mr. Bravo and I have been watching it for years and just love it. When I see it I just can't even believe that people PAY to do that!

FORT Fogey

The true Survivor Series

BravoFan wrote:
    Mr. Bravo and I have been watching it for years and just love it. When I see it I just can't even believe that people PAY to do that!
    This is the daddy of them all! Mark Burnett's true passion and the series that he is the most proud of.

Before Survivor, there was Eco-Challenge. It's gruelling and heartbreaking and invigorating. And I'm just talking as a viewer!

Looking forward to seeing the Fiji one on USA.

Thanks for the info, BF.

The only thing I hate about it is that we know the outcome!

Last year when the race was going on we posted updates a couple times a day as well as sending in email messages from the FORT to several of the teams (including Kelly Wigglesworth and Ethan Zohn's teams)

So warning for those that don't know the outcome (and don't want to before the series airs):
    1- don't look back too far in this thread or open any EcoChallenge update threads
    2 - don't go to the official EcoChallenge web site as the final results are posted on the main page!

I agree.
    This show is a lot of fun to watch.
    Everytime I do, I'm inspired to do it one day, one day, one day.

It really should be on one of the network channels, so more people could enjoy it.

Even my students love this challenge.
    In the past USA has presented a one hour recap of the race for use in schools. It's one of the things that my students looked forward to. I'd show parts of it over a weeks time. They knew more about the Eco Challenge teams than the periodic table.
    I can't see where they are doing the one hour classroom show this year. And USA is no help with there form letters in reply.
    Sooooo if anyone can get that info it's you the Fans of Reality TV.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast