+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Duets: 5-31-12 Classic Duets aka Week 2 Show *spoilers*

Re: Duets: 5-31-12 Classic Duets aka Week 2 Show *spoilers*

They just said he couldn't continue on in the competition. They didn't give a reason.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    Meleana is John's new duet partner. Personally I think the guy did a better job.

Plus, I don't think their voices blend nearly as well as thinks they blend.
    (different post): I think the show would be much better if the scores were not secret.
    -ITA. and -ITA. This would really clear up some of the BS we see going on.

-I don't want to jump the gun but everything that comes out of John Legend's mouth screams egomaniac to me. Sure, he's very talented--but he does not have a monopoly on hearing/judging how good others are. His comments about how great he was at identifying amazing voices during the first episode were particularly grating. DUDE--we all have ears..you might be more trained but you aren't performing brain surgery for goodness sakes.
    -This scoring system is ridiculous...I think most of us agree that the leaderboard is all wack. As other posters have mentioned, it is very likely that Kelly is dramatically overscoring in comparison to some of the other stars (probably a good assumption since the great and powerful...John Legend is assigning scores)...and I'd wager that the gals were extremely [more] generous overall the first week given Kelly's two contestants ended up dead last and one of the best performers (John) was middle of the pack.
    -The new chick was not that good...and, shes not even in the same league as J Rome (and John G. for that matter). Another example of this ridiculous scoring system.
    nanarama, Debb70 and sparklete like this.

I would watch this show just to hear John Legend. ( love him) I really like Jason and Kelly together. Jennifer is so cute! I love her and John G!!
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I felt there were several poor song choices last night. J Rome's number was quite "produced" and fun but it didn't show off his voice. I was sooo not impressed by Meleana's voice. Also, I was cracking up when Olivia kept singing "Where is the love?" I wanted to ask, "Where are the lyrics you were having such a hard time learning?" One of my daughters was a voice major in college and part of it is putting in the work learning your music for performances.

I thought they were a little hard on Bridget. The song choice showed her range and emotion. It was one of my favorites of the night. I'm not a fan of her "look" but the girl can sing. Kelly said at one point it was more important to get into the song than to worry about each note. That helps me forgive a tiny bit of "pitchiness."

I'm enjoying this show - but I don't watch other singing competitions, so I'm not over-saturated.

I'm over saturated. I do like that they performed classic duets, though, even if they were dated. Does anyone other than country sing duets anymore? Anyway, I wish they would have sung my favorite (also from a movie) "Somewhere Out There."

I also like that Kelly says it is difficult to sing a duet using her songs as they are anthems, not true ballads. The one super duet she sang last year was with Jason Aldean, but it was one of his songs.

The singers are getting good advice on performance from both their partners and the other pros in the form of constructive criticism. That is all to the good.

I'll keep watching, but after The Voice and American Idol airing simultaneously, it is a bit soon for me to get into it.
    BuckeyeAddict likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat View Post
    Figures. John Legend selects the cute young girl partner over Mario. Boo hiss.
    I had that one predicted. I was listening (not watching) and thought they sounded terrible together, whereas the guy sounded good. Looks win out every time.
    Shoepie and sparklete like this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    I felt there were several poor song choices last night. J Rome's number was quite "produced" and fun but it didn't show off his voice.
    Part of being a performer is entertaining your audience. This was the only number that entertained me, in amongst all the boring ballads and whatnot. Don't care if it shows off his voice, really. When I listen on the radio, most songs don't have that great a range in them. It's all about what you enjoy.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

FORT Fogey

Kelly Clarkson is a cutie but she needs a stylist. She is a little on the chunky side, especially in the legs and should not wear heavy dark shoes with straps that cut you off at the ankle. A skin tone, delicate shoe is the way to go. I know she has recently lost weight but that blue dress did not show off her body well. It looked too small.
    nanarama likes this.

While I agree that J Rome and Jennifer's number was one of, it not the the most entertaining for the audience, we don't get to vote. The judge/other pros do and they didn't get a chance to hear much of his voice and judge him on it. I also enjoyed the number. I just don't think I would've used it for someone who's voice I wanted showcased. However, he still tied for the top so it's a moot point.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    -This scoring system is ridiculous...I think most of us agree that the leaderboard is all wack. As other posters have mentioned, it is very likely that Kelly is dramatically overscoring in comparison to some of the other stars (probably a good assumption since the great and powerful...John Legend is assigning scores)...and I'd wager that the gals were extremely [more] generous overall the first week given Kelly's two contestants ended up dead last and one of the best performers (John) was middle of the pack.
    The scoring system IS horrid. Obviously Kelly is generous with her scoring, and John is stingy. That's why his people keep ending up on top and hers on the bottom. They aren't voting for their own, so Kelly's don't get the advantage of her generosity, and John's don't get the penalty of his stinginess (if he would be with his own). They really need a non-biased panel to do the scoring. People like Jimmy Iovine. But that would really jack up the cost of production.

Unlike everyone else who posted about her, I did like Meleana - a lot. And I've seen favorable reviews, too. At first I was disgusted that he chose her over Mario, because I thought he and Mario sounded great together, and Meleana was so-so. But in the performance, I thought the quality of her voice was unique and intriguing, and she is just beautiful (not that the latter is important). Would like to hear what she sounds like in a solo.

I'll bet some of the other celebs would have liked to have had the opportunity to trade up for Mario!

As far as Johnny Gray goes, I did some poking around on the internet. The only thing I could find was that Johnny tweeted these:
    -I promise you bro, if I had been on this week, I would have been #1, GUARANTEE! Did they explain why I'm gone? #Duets
    -It's not right, but I'll have my time to talk about it, God works in mysterious ways.
    -Don't get it twisted, Johnny Gray didn't "drop out" y'all know after being #2 in 1 episode, I was coming back to kill!
    -I'm doing great! BIG THINGS happening over here in Johnny Gray's world. When 1 door closes, another 1 opens
    Last edited by BuckeyeAddict; 06-02-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Everything has an end. Only the sausage has two. - Monroe, from Grimm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast