+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 5/24 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/24 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    So I watched the rerun last night. It was decent. Still think they should have given us a little down time between singing shows.

Who is Quddus? Was he anybody before this? What kind of name is that? Nobody commented about him, but a friend of mine mentioned him and had the same impression that I did (not favorable). Can't put my finger on it, but there wasn't a big likability factor with him - for me, anyway.
    I thought he was pretty good. He was a lot better than the host they had on the X factor.But not as good as Cat Deely imho .
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I enjoyed the show a lot. Hubby thought it was a snoozefest. I love Kelly Clarkson and felt badly for her that her two partners were ranked bottom 2. Not a big an of Robin Thicke's singing nor was I that impressed with either of his partners but he seemed like a nice dude. Love, love, love John Legend. I basically tuned in for him and Kelly. Was not that familiar with Jennifer Nettles but she can sing! Her second partner from her hometown blew me away... I was almost moved to tears. In my opinion, he definitely deserved to be on the top of that leader board. Will be watching again.
    Debb70, Fanny Mare and Jaceegirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I caught the first hour of it last night but missed the rest. Why won't Kelly have a partner? Didn't I hear them say that no one would be thrown off until they performed a second time? What is the point of a show called Duets if one of the stars doesn't have a partner? I don't know if I'll be watching much of this show - it was okay what I saw of it - but nothing really got me excited about it.
    Her partners are both at the bottom of the scoreboard. If that continues, both of them will be eliminated quickly and she won't have a duet partner left. They're eliminating contestants, so it will end with only one duet anyway, but I don't think they planned to have one star without partners early on. If the scoring doesn't change and the viewers don't get a vote soon enough, Kelly could be without a partner.

I agree with the poster upthread who said that Kelly is likely being too generous with her scoring, while the other judges are not.

I finally watched the entire episode and I have to say, I wasn't THAT impressed with J Rome. I think he benefited by being the first one out of the gate. He has a good voice, but I thought several others were better.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I enjoyed the show a lot. Hubby thought it was a snoozefest. I love Kelly Clarkson and felt badly for her that her two partners were ranked bottom 2. Not a big an of Robin Thicke's singing nor was I that impressed with either of his partners but he seemed like a nice dude. Love, love, love John Legend. I basically tuned in for him and Kelly. Was not that familiar with Jennifer Nettles but she can sing! Her second partner from her hometown blew me away... I was almost moved to tears. In my opinion, he definitely deserved to be on the top of that leader board. Will be watching again.
    Love Kelly and John. I will be tuning in again.. I am a big fan of Kelly Clarkson. She seems like a very sweet person.
    -Andy Rooney-

I actually was really looking forward to this as I like each of the singers.
    However, I found the show a snoozefest. The amateur singers were ceratinly better than most, but the show could probaly benefit, IMO, from a Christina Aguilera or a Simon Cowell.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I actually was really looking forward to this as I like each of the singers.
    However, I found the show a snoozefest. The amateur singers were certainly better than most, but the show could probably benefit, IMO, from a Christina Aguilera or a Simon Cowell.
    Simon ? but he cant sing.
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There is something I think I find pompous about Robin Thicke. I don't know why he seems to bug me.

Jennifer Nettles has an impressive voice. I have no familiarity with her.

I love John Legend!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On first glance, I liked the show a great deal. The singing was, on average, very good. The scoring system is a complete joke and raises serious bias and conflict of interest issues. Despite that, I that Kelley did not "choose wisely" in her partner selections and, comparatively, they should have been close to or at the bottom. I am very curious about the production of the actual duets. There has not been a lot of speculation about this but the performances seem much too polished and sonically perfect. I don't think that there is lip syncing ocurring (at elast I hope not) but at times, it was hard to tell. My suspicion is that the songs are done to pre-recorded instrumental tracks (if so, the singers better always be on the beat) with some major audio enhancements of the vocals being done either on the fly on in post-production. Does anyone have any information on these issues or guesses as to what's going on?

I have seen previews of what is going to happen on this week's show and it appears that Kelly is really working with her partners because she knew she was outsmarted by the scoring. I also saw where it looks like one of John Legend's partner leaves and he may have to get a new one. I thought the talent was really quite good and I think we will see some improvements made in the next show. My guess and it is totally a guess is that the first show was pre-recorded much like the beginning of The Voice is. If that is true then I think we will at some point see some truly live shows. I think at the point where they have just one artist left and then it will be turned over to the audience to determine the winner.

I have always loved Jennifer Nettles voice and a big Sugarland fan. I love Kelly and of course John. I really did not know much about Robin Thicke so my judgement is still out. I think this is probably a test run since it is just a summer show lasting 9 weeks. I would guess if there is interest it would be possible for it to return. I am sticking with it as I just love singing and dancing shows. I also like the fact that it does not drag on forever. I liked The Voice for that reason and IMO I wish AI would shorten their season. To start in January and run through May is a long stretch. For myself I have stopped watching all the audition process as in the beginning it seemed like fun, but after a few years it became boring for me. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Quddus - Host

Here is the link to his thread. He is not stranger to hosting, apparently.
    Thanks for the link. I thought he was a previous host on MTV. I was not familiar with him myself, but don't really watch MTV on a regular basis.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast