+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 11/7 DWTS 23 Performance/Results Show *West Coast Spoilers*

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Re: 11/7 DWTS 23 Performance/Results Show *West Coast Spoilers*

If Sharna can't win, I'm pulling for Lindsey. She had a much harder job than Val .
    indy1945 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Newbie

Aren't we suppose to be voting for the "stars" not the pros?

FORT Fogey

No. I think people determine how and why they are voting....or did I miss the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    No. I think people determine how and why they are voting....or did I miss the rules?
    Exactly, and then they can vote for both.
    indy1945 likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

When pros we aren't used to seeing make it this far, you really do feel like you get to know them better and have more of a reason to cheer them on. It's like seeing a whole new side to them. Fun
    JORY'sMom and Fanny Mare like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    If Sharna can't win, I'm pulling for Lindsey. She had a much harder job than Val .
    I completely disagree with this...just because Val has Laurie who is very young and fit and has a lot of potential and talent, does NOT necessarily mean he's had an "easier job" working with her than any other pro. I think one of the big misconceptions some people have about Laurie is that she's young and fit and she's a gymnast so they assume she has a lot of experience in dance who she has an advantage. But that's NOT necessarily the case, since Laurie is only 16 years old and being a gymnast, her very young age and gymnastics training can actually be a huge disadvantage for her compared to the other celebrity contestants, especially for the sexier more sensual and passionate Latin dances. Since she's so young and has never had a boyfriend, it's actually harder for Laurie to really connect and relate to the more sexy and passionate dances, and it's harder for her to get into character and play those more mature and sensual characters, remember she was having so much trouble doing those sexy moves and felt really uncomfortable being sexy and sensual. So not only does Val have to teach Laurie the dance steps and choreography, he also has to help her understand the story and character of each dance and help her to get into the character, and it's harder for him to do that with her since she's so young. So just because Val has a young and fit gymnast as a partner, it does NOT necessarily mean he has an "easier" job than the other pros, with Laurie's young age and inexperience in life in general compared to the other contestants, comes a whole new set of problems and challenges for Val to deal with.
    And let's not forget that even though Laurie is a gymnast, but with gymnastics they have their own whole set of rules and techniques that are so totally different to Latin Ballroom dancing, so coming onto this show Laurie also has had to learn many new things and techniques that are so completely new and unfamiliar to her.
    People also need to remember that because Laurie has so much potential and talent, there's a lot more expectations and pressure put on her in particular, and that in turn also puts a lot more pressure on Val, and all this extra pressure they have adds to the difficulty of Val's job as a dancer, choreographer, teacher and partner to Laurie.

All the other remaining contestants may have never danced before or had no prior dance experience in comparison to Laurie, but we need to remember that they are all much older than Laurie and they all have much more experience in life in general, so it tends to be easier for them to understand and relate to their characters and story of their dances, it's easier for them to portray the more mature characters and connect with the story for the more sensual and passionate dances. So in that aspect, they all have that advantage over Laurie.
    Also since the other contestants had never danced before (not sure about Jana though), the judges and people's expectations tend to be set lower for them, hence there tends to be less pressure put on them than Laurie, and that can also be an advantage they have over Laurie.

I think the thing with Laurie is that since she's so young and so talented and has so much potential, she just makes every dance look "easy", so people just assume it's "easier" for her, but it's not. A lot of people just don't realise or forget that Laurie is extremely hard-working, she has to put A LOT of effort and practice into every dance she does, probably even more so for certain dances. Her attitude towards dancing is the same as her attitude towards gymnastics, it's just constant repetition and practice and hardwork.
    It really just depends on various factors, in some aspects Laurie can have an advantage over the others, but in some other aspects, she also has disadvantages compared to the others. For example, in terms of dance experience, then yes Laurie would have an advantage over the others since she's used to choreography and she danced Ballet when she was 5 years old, so she would be able to learn the choreography faster than the other contestants. But in terms of life experiences and being able to portray the characters and understand and relate to the story of the dances and doing the more sensual and passionate dances, then it can be harder for Laurie to get into the character compared to the others. So it really depends on several factors and which perspective you look at things. All the contestants have their own advantages and disadvantages over each other.

Bottom line is that it's a hard job for Val too, and as with all the other contestants, Laurie has her own share of advantages but also disadvantages, and that in turn can make Val's job harder sometimes. So don't just assume that Val has an "easier" job just because Laurie is young and fit, she has her own share of advantages and disadvantages and problems and challenges to deal with too, and so does Val.
    Last edited by LindaL100; 11-19-2016 at 12:27 AM.
    awesomekina23 likes this.
    People change, love hurts, friends leave, things go wrong, but just remember that life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    When pros we aren't used to seeing make it this far, you really do feel like you get to know them better and have more of a reason to cheer them on. It's like seeing a whole new side to them. Fun
    I feel like judges wanted to see Gleb in the finals..they really over scored him and Jenna imho. Not all the time but sometimes it was a tad obvious, then they nitpicked Calvin to death, who in my opinion is far more enjoyable. I'm still hoping James and Sharna take it all..he's such a joy..
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by crusin View Post
    Aren't we suppose to be voting for the "stars" not the pros?
    Yes.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

FORT Fogey Ms.pacman New Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion awesomekina23's Avatar

For the pros, I'd say: Sharna > Gleb > Val (He's only here because he's won before. He's done a great job this year) > Lindsey (her and Whitney don't do a thing for me. I view Whitney as bratty and Lindsey as... well... kind of dumb? And it isn't cute)

For the celebs: Jana/James/Laurie (I love all three) > Calvin (I like him but the other three have had more wow moments and are more deserving in my opinion)

I'm amazed Jana has made it this far. Very proud of her! Her tango with the water pouring down on her is iconic.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by LindaL100 View Post

Bottom line is that it's a hard job for Val too, and as with all the other contestants, Laurie has her own share of advantages but also disadvantages, and that in turn can make Val's job harder sometimes. So don't just assume that Val has an "easier" job just because Laurie is young and fit, she has her own share of advantages and disadvantages and problems and challenges to deal with too, and so does Val.
    I totally agree with this! Val did have some experience with this having Zendaya in the past as his partner, but regardless, Laurie's youth most definitely is a disadvantage in some of the situations, on and off the ballroom floor.

Now I love Hinch, LOVE him, but if I had to guess, Sharna is the pro who has had it the easiest this season (besides her own injury.) He's just a natural, and didn't they even say he's been helping with choreography?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789