Thread: Ryan Lochte & Cheryl Burke - Season 23

Re: Ryan Lochte & Cheryl Burke - Season 23

I can see right now this will be the popular thread of the season
    Mike'sgirl likes this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MReid View Post
    I can see right now this will be the popular thread of the season
    I had my say, if it does go on too long, the flogging of a dead horse is a good reminder..
    MReid likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Ryan Lochte & Cheryl Burke - Season 23

From what I've gathered through the years, I just don't think he's very bright. Talented, yes. And he had to put a lot of hard work in to get to the Olympic level. I realize what he did is fresh in everyone's mind, and it was very, very, VERY stupid, but I just don't think it's worth all the lashing he's getting. Just to use Michael Phelps as an example (and I love him), but what he did is much worse putting others at risk getting behind the wheel drunk, and the world worships him! JMO.

Again, Lochte is not very bright, obviously spoiled and entitled, but those idiots the other night were way out of line. There are much bigger issues going on right now.

FORT Fogey

A lot of this reminds me of a really great interview Chaning Tatum gave a few years ago talking about the impact of achieving fame at a young age. He suggested that when a person achieves fame before being fully mature, their maturity is stunted at that age. It's seen in a lot of celebrities, and I think it's seen in Lochte. Couple that with the impact on a developing ego when a kid grows up being one of the very best at his sport with all the praise and hangers on that comes with that even before the fame came along, and you've got a recipe for disaster. I think it's EXTREMELY difficult for sports parents to keep a kid's head on straight with the way they are treated by a star by so many. There are gifted parents that make it happen, but it's a lot of work, and even good parents can let a kid slip by in that world.
    JORY'sMom, Mike'sgirl and Cootie like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom View Post
    Just to use Michael Phelps as an example (and I love him), but what he did is much worse putting others at risk getting behind the wheel drunk, and the world worships him! JMO.
    To me, the differences are pretty clear. Phelps made mistakes, but he owned up to them. He didn't own up to them just once because he got caught, he took ownership and changed his life. He went to rehab, and to all evidence (again, over a period of time) came out the other side sincerely wanting to change himself for the better. He cleaned up his act, became a father (which will change anyone), and got engaged. His mother, fiance, and son were front and center of everything he did in Rio. Is he still a competitive person? Yes. Does he still hate to lose? Yes. But he's learned to have perspective that there are other things in life that are more important.

Lochte, on the other hand, has never shown much outward evidence that anything or anyone matters except him. He's always been an attention grabber. As AcookerTV said, he got famous at a very young age, and has not seemed to have the presence and guidance of his family to help him understand that his decisions impact more than just him. He IS the very definition of stunted maturity. If he isn't front and center, the biggest man on campus, he's going to do something to pull attention away from others and bring it back to him.

Now, having said that, did he deserve what happened Monday night? Absolutely NOT. Those people were ridiculous and classless. Lochte did seem to sincerely want to learn and was having fun. He has a wonderful partner in Cheryl, and he did well in his first dance. What happened wasn't just over the line, it was in another universe from where the line even exists.

He won't ever be my favorite, but I do wish him well. I hope that he grows up and begins to understand the impact of his decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillalatte View Post
    To me, the differences are pretty clear. Phelps made mistakes, but he owned up to them. He didn't own up to them just once because he got caught, he took ownership and changed his life. He went to rehab, and to all evidence (again, over a period of time) came out the other side sincerely wanting to change himself for the better. He cleaned up his act, became a father (which will change anyone), and got engaged. His mother, fiance, and son were front and center of everything he did in Rio. Is he still a competitive person? Yes. Does he still hate to lose? Yes. But he's learned to have perspective that there are other things in life that are more important.

Lochte, on the other hand, has never shown much outward evidence that anything or anyone matters except him. He's always been an attention grabber. As AcookerTV said, he got famous at a very young age, and has not seemed to have the presence and guidance of his family to help him understand that his decisions impact more than just him. He IS the very definition of stunted maturity. If he isn't front and center, the biggest man on campus, he's going to do something to pull attention away from others and bring it back to him.

Now, having said that, did he deserve what happened Monday night? Absolutely NOT. Those people were ridiculous and classless. Lochte did seem to sincerely want to learn and was having fun. He has a wonderful partner in Cheryl, and he did well in his first dance. What happened wasn't just over the line, it was in another universe from where the line even exists.

He won't ever be my favorite, but I do wish him well. I hope that he grows up and begins to understand the impact of his decisions.
    I felt sorry for Cheryl, she looked quite shocked..and I bet she has that on her mind next week.
    MReid likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

As I watch this season, I honestly have no problem with Ryan being on. As was mentioned prior, he is talented if not simply dumb. The situation in Rio was sad, but after more in depth reading, it was blown WAY out of proportion. I will attribute some to a language barrier and some to again, Ryan being an idiot who comes off very entitled (I blame his mother for a good deal of it). Honestly I have more issue with Vanilla Ice given his prior legal issues, some as recent as last year, which no one brings up.

That being said, I hope that he can see there is more to the universe than just him and he matures. I look forward to seeing how a swimmer does in a competition like this. Skating and Gymnastic contestants have always fared well, but there is an element of dance in skating and a lot of upper body strength in gymnastics that can be a benefit in dancing.. swimming, as Julianne pointed out, makes for a different body type.
    JORY'sMom, AcookerTV and JosephD like this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Someone on DListed referred to Ryan as a "walking bottle of AXE body spray." That's probably the most accurate description I've ever seen.
    dagwood, FireWoman and MFWalkoff like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My problem with Ryan and his buddies was that their actions overshadowed all of the other wonderful U.S. Olympians and their great achievements because of the timing of their stupidity. I too had my doubts about the official story and don't want to get into since I don't care enough about Ryan and his friends to defend them. Still they were not angels and as I said tarnished the ending for the others.
    Will you accept my Racing Mirror-ball Olympian dancing Carly rose from a 24 hour live feeding Generation Fort jury Idol member, Quinn?

They were on the view ( at the end) Cheryl looked like she was dragging him around. He said this was a positive experience....
    Rabid Dingo likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast