+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: *Improving the Show*

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: *Improving the Show*

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3902830;
    Bringing up the whole "props" thing, I think it would improve the show if the judging were fair and equitable. How can you dock points for Pam and Damien using the table and chairs but not dock points for Nicole and Derek using the park bench and newspapers? Both performances were good and the props added to them. The blatant favoritism makes me angry and start considering not watching in the future. (And if I get irritated enough, I won't watch - I no longer watch the Batchelor because of their crap.)
    Say what you will about CA in her "lift police" mission, it has almost always been straight across the board in enforcement. If props are not to be used, that should also be enforced across the board. (And yes, I know it isn't a "rule" per say, but if points can be docked for some, they should be docked for ALL.)
    Len didn't like Lance/Lacey or Apolo/Julianne's rumba for the same reason (one used a bench, the other a chair-and I don't think Len liked L/L bare feet as well). I wouldn't mind them not using the props, as I don't really think it overly adds anything to the dances and they can tell a story just fine without it (see Drew/Cheryl's freestyle). There have been a couple of times CA called out a lift, only to say she wouldn't take points away because it either was part of the dance or because they did enough in the dance to "enchant her" that she couldn't tell. So in cases like that-don't bring it up. In a case like Jake's where he fell-yeah, we saw it, and he still got overscored on the dance as it was, so it didn't matter that Len pointed out he wouldn't take points off for it. And if a couple messes about in the routine, we still notice even if Len doesn't point it out (Derek swinging in like Tarzan; I'm still trying to figure that one out )

I still hate thinking the show is really rigged but it's manipulation of who dances what when and in what order (every week), the judges polite reaction to Kate but totally ripping into Aiden, their OTT to that seasons designated "best dancer ever!" but being picky of someone who is just as good, by the show's standards, not mixing it up what pros end up with clunkers and vice versa, horrible song selections for one couple but not for another with the same dance.

Oh, and speaking of the theme dances-in a way, I'd rather see them all have to either dance the same theme or the same dance for whatever decade they selected. Either that, or how about mixing it up and making the decade dance their ballroom dance. Just for something different. This show gets a little latin heavy with their dances sometimes. I don't know how many pro dances that feature rumbas I can take anymore.
    Last edited by karalott; 05-14-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Honestly, if they wanted to ditch the rumba altogether it wouldn't break my heart.
    How does one do a 90's rumba anyway? That's sort of ridiculous.
    Other than than, being equitable and consistant would make the show more pleasureable to watch. Manipulation by way of the judges scores/comments just makes us feel the whole thing is rigged and, after time, we'll lose interest.

I was just over on the Non-Reality thread reading up on my favorite NR show - Castle......and someone posted that they'd love to see Nathan Fillion on DWTS! (It was after the episode where Tom B guest starred.) Why didn't I think of that ??? I would LOVE to see Nathan on this show! Be still my heart having Maks and Nathan on the same show! I'd have to start taking Tuesdays off work! And what do you think of having Nathan paired with Kym? So next season, abc should restrain themselves from having a castoff from TB and invite Mr. Fillion instead! i just love this idea more and more!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf!;3903860;
    I was just over on the Non-Reality thread reading up on my favorite NR show - Castle......and someone posted that they'd love to see Nathan Fillion on DWTS! (It was after the episode where Tom B guest starred.) Why didn't I think of that ??? I would LOVE to see Nathan on this show! Be still my heart having Maks and Nathan on the same show! I'd have to start taking Tuesdays off work! And what do you think of having Nathan paired with Kym? So next season, abc should restrain themselves from having a castoff from TB and invite Mr. Fillion instead! i just love this idea more and more!!!!
    Maybe we should start the annual "Season 11 Spoilers/Speculation/Wish List" Thread, even though season 10 isn't over I've already heard several names pop up as wannabe hoofers. I thought I heard Nathan wanted to do the show. He's on ABC, so if that's the case, what a perfect cross over! Especially since Castle airs right after the Monday night broadcast. I hope Kym is back next season, and given someone really great. I'm sure she'll probably get the clunker, but hopefully they unload that person on Karina or Lacey (if either of them are back).

I don't know how Castle is doing in the ratings - but I'd love to see a cross-over if there was someway they could do it during their hiatus - which is unlikely. with planning they could tape through the summer, DWTS in the fall, and back to taping afterwards.
    No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible. George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

I thought Castle was doing well....don't know the actual ratings, but it's coming back for another season! WooHoo! And I didn't know Nathan expressed interest in the show. This is just me, wanting to see him dance in real life. He's very funny off the show, and seems to have a fun personality. Yes - there's a bit of a crush going on.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3903291;
    Honestly, if they wanted to ditch the rumba altogether it wouldn't break my heart.
    How does one do a 90's rumba anyway? That's sort of ridiculous.
    Other than than, being equitable and consistant would make the show more pleasureable to watch. Manipulation by way of the judges scores/comments just makes us feel the whole thing is rigged and, after time, we'll lose interest.
    I've said before the rumba is my least favorite dance. With the exception of maybe a handful of couples, I don't feel like it gives off the effect it's supposed to anymore. It's more like standing in place, and they all blend together.

I think they need to stick to decades better acted out. Maks said he didn't really know how to choreograph an 80s rumba so figured the clothes and music would speak for itself. In an interview posted in Erin's thread, Maks again brought up the inconsistancy of the judging. Given some of the comments other pros have made about the issue of ringers and judges remarks, I wonder if we'll see a shift next season. I'm sure the show takes notice at what they say.

I thought Castle was doing well....don't know the actual ratings, but it's coming back for another season! WooHoo! And I didn't know Nathan expressed interest in the show. This is just me, wanting to see him dance in real life. He's very funny off the show, and seems to have a fun personality. Yes - there's a bit of a crush going on.
    Who I'd like to see is Christian Slater, and I don't think his show is getting re-newed. According to the Fall 2010 scorecard, it was on the endangered list. It might have been officially cancelled by now if that was the plan. I'm pretty sure it was Nathan who said he wanted to do the show. He could probably work it out with filming Castle and DWTS. We've seen soap stars do it, and Donny fly back and forth to Vegas to do his show.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3904146;
    Who I'd like to see is Christian Slater, and I don't think his show is getting re-newed. According to the Fall 2010 scorecard, it was on the endangered list. It might have been officially cancelled by now if that was the plan. I'm pretty sure it was Nathan who said he wanted to do the show. He could probably work it out with filming Castle and DWTS. We've seen soap stars do it, and Donny fly back and forth to Vegas to do his show.
    OK, karalott, let's start building the line-up for them, shall we? We'll take Mr. Slater, and Mr. Fillion, to start. ....... And someone for Maks. I'm good. That would make my season.

It was I who put up the original suggestion about Nathan in the Castle thread, and thank you, LuvThisStuff, for moving it over here.

So, if we are looking for a partner for Max, I'm going to keep with my Firefly group and suggest either Gina Torres (Zoe) or Christina Hendricks (Saffron). Summer Glau would be breathtaking with Louis or even Derek, but she's a classicly trained ballet dancer who also studied tango and flamenco so that'd be a no-no, though beautiful to watch.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3904155;
    It was I who put up the original suggestion about Nathan in the Castle thread, and thank you, LuvThisStuff, for moving it over here.

So, if we are looking for a partner for Max, I'm going to keep with my Firefly group and suggest either Gina Torres (Zoe) or Christina Hendricks (Saffron). Summer Glau would be breathtaking with Louis or even Derek, but she's a classicly trained ballet dancer who also studied tango and flamenco so that'd be a no-no, though beautiful to watch.
    I know....and that was such a brilliant suggestion! When I read it over there I just couldn't wait to bring the idea over here and hope that someone from abc would read it and realize just how brilliant it was!

+ Reply to Thread