Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Simone Biles & Sasha Farber - Season 24

Simone Biles & Sasha Farber - Season 24

Simone Biles
    Season 24

Paired with Sasha Farber

Follow Simone on Twitter
    Follow Sasha on Twitter

At 19, Simone Biles is already considered one of the best and most decorated gymnasts in the history of the sport. She was adopted by her grandparents at a young age, and they have been a major influence in her life, introducing her to the sport of gymnastics. She was always jumping around at a young age and was introduced to the sport on a school field trip to Bannon's Gymnastix at the age of six. While she trains close to 35 hours per week, Biles knows how to keep things fun and is known for inventing new skills during training. One move, a complex flip that she incorporated into her floor routine during the 2013 World Championships, is now known as the "Biles."

Biles' career highlights include being an Olympic Gold medalist in vault, floor, Individual and Team All-Around, and a Bronze medalist on Beam at the 2016 Rio Olympics. She won the All-Around by a 2.1 margin of victory, larger than the margins of victory from 1980-2012 combined. She's the first woman gymnast to win three consecutive World All-Around titles, most World Championship gold medals won by a female gymnast in history (10), most decorated World Championship American gymnast with 14 total medals (10 gold, two silver, two bronze), the first woman to capture four gold medals at a single World Championships (2014 & 2015) since the Soviet Union's Ludmilla Tourischeva in 1974, the first female African-American all-around world champion, undefeated in the all-around competition since 2013, the First American woman in 23 years to win three all-around national titles, honored as the 2014 Women's Sports Foundation's "Sportswoman of the Year," and named Olympic Athlete of the Year by the USOC 2015. Biles was also the first American female gymnast chosen by Team USA to be the flag bearer for the closing ceremonies.

Simone's book, "Courage to Soar," is a New York Times Best Seller, #1 under Young Adult Hard Covers.

Sasha Farber

Born in Russia, Sasha Farber started dancing at age 13 in his new homeland, Australia. By 17 he had won the Australian Latin Championships twice and represented Australia at the World Latin Championships. He was featured in the closing ceremony at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, in Season 2 of Dancing with the Stars Australia and as a special guest on the Indian Dancing with the Stars. Farber joined the Dancing with the Stars Pro Troupe Team in Season 13, and in Season 17 danced with Snooki. Previously, Farber was an original cast member and a lead dancer in the world-wide production of Burn the Floor, including critically acclaimed Broadway and West End runs.

Meet the Season 24 Cast | ABC.com

Re: Simone Biles & Sasha Farber - Season 24

Olympians generally have huge fan base and dance very well on DWTS, this is another early front runner. Sasha could get his first win this season with her we shall see

Love her!
    (...and him)
    Mike'sgirl and MReid like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by MReid View Post
    Olympians generally have huge fan base and dance very well on DWTS, this is another early front runner. Sasha could get his first win this season with her we shall see
    I wouldn't be too sure about that, not many Olympians have won DWTS and there have been some Olympians who didn't do quite well as expected on the show, like Ryan Lochte last season, then again he does have alot of haters. Although Nastia didn't do as well as many people had hoped either, especially being paired with Derek many people thought she would be in the finals, but there were also many people who did not connect with her and mainly voted for her because of Derek, and they were eliminated before the finals.

Simone is not Laurie, they have different personalities and it's been a while since the Rio Olympics ended, so some of the craze from their Olympic fame may have died down a bit since then. Laurie is such a bright, lovable and positive young girl, so many people loved her and saw her as a good role model for young people, and she competed on DWTS just shortly after the games ended when all the hype and craze surrounding their Olympics fame was still very high and overwhelming, and she's talented, no doubt all these reasons helped Laurie to win last year. I think it might be difficult for Simone to follow in the heals of Laurie's fame, not because I don't think Simone is likable or talented, I don't know her but I'm sure she's talented at what she does to have won gold medals at the Olympics. But I've seen videos and interviews with Simone and she does seem to have a different personality to Laurie, so some people might not take to her as well as they did with Laurie, the hype from the Olympics has also died down a bit, and let's not forget the fact that since Laurie has already won last season and some people might not want another Olympic gymnast to win again this season. So if you take all these reasons into consideration, I think for Simone to compete on the show just straight after Laurie had won her season, might actually do Simone a disservice, rather than benefit her.
    So I don't think it is as clear cut regarding Simone as some people think, let's not forget that she also has a lot of tough competition this season as well, like Normani and Heather Morris, so I wouldn't underestimate them either.

But let's wait and see.
    People change, love hurts, friends leave, things go wrong, but just remember that life goes on.

I find Simone to be every bit as bubbly as Laurie was! I watched her all throughout the Olympics. I think she will do well! I would love to see Sasha finally win one as well!

I think the only thing that will hinder her is the fact that a gymnast did just win.

Definitely rooting for this pairing!
    Mike'sgirl and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

I like Simone A LOT!
    We'll see, huh?
    Nastia is an awesome gymnast, but not so much a dancer.
    Laurie? Lots of musicality there.
    Interested to see how Simone does.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Laurie just performed and won last season. Couldn't ABC have waited at least one season before putting another gymnast on DWTS?!
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazeeKy07 View Post
    I find Simone to be every bit as bubbly as Laurie was
    I find her to be more quieter than Laurie and a little less bubbly, but still likable nonetheless. But I'm just concerned for Simone that Laurie was just so extremely popular with viewers last season, so I think it would be quite difficult for Simone to follow in the heals of her teammate's fame & success on the show, I think many people are bound to compare her to Laurie, and I just have a feeling that she would struggle to live up to all of Laurie's popularity and hype on the show, but I don't doubt Simone's talents. And yes, I think the fact that Laurie just won last season will most likely hinder Simone's chances this season.
    But like I said, let's wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Dingo View Post
    Laurie just performed and won last season. Couldn't ABC have waited at least one season before putting another gymnast on DWTS?!
    I heard that the producers initially wanted Simone to compete last season, but she declined because she thought it was too early for her to compete on DWTS so soon after the Olympic games, thus Laurie was cast to compete in last season instead.
    I wonder if Simone had competed last season, would she have been just as popular and successful as Laurie was and won last season? I suppose we'll never know.
    Last edited by LindaL100; 03-16-2017 at 08:07 PM.
    mika06 likes this.
    People change, love hurts, friends leave, things go wrong, but just remember that life goes on.

I just watched an interview with Sasha and Simone, she iis adorable. Quiet yes, but giggly and very sweet; and I'm sure she will be proficient. I think she may be the one I will root for the strongest. Also, Bonner for his courage. Those two personalities I find to be the most charming and will win the hearts of fans.
    KrazeeKy07 likes this.
    When you canít control whatís happening, challenge yourself to control the way you respond to whatís happening. Thatís where your power is.

I was hoping that the show wouldn't try to encourage people to compare Simone to Laurie, but I knew comparisons between them were inevitable, so I wasn't surprised when Tom mentioned her teammate Laurie numerous times when it was Simone & Sasha's turn, he even asked Simone how she felt about competing after Laurie won, I sighed when I heard Simone say something along the lines of she just channeled her "inner Laurie", I just felt bad for her because now people are bound to start comparing them I still think this whole comparing Simone with Laurie and trying to live up to Laurie's fame and "legacy" on the show will probably hinder Simone's chances. And not to mention there's bound to be some people not wanting Simone to win simply because her teammate Laurie has already won last season.

As for their dance last night, it was beautiful, I love the choreography, the song, her chemistry and connection with Sasha, I loved everything about the dance itself, without a doubt it was one of the best last night

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast