+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: DWTS 24 (premieres March 20th) - News & Speculation

Re: DWTS 24 (premieres March 20th) - News & Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I used to have a huge problem with ringers, but now there are so many of them that it doesn't even phase me.
    Now what drives me nuts is when the show as good as anoints the winner on the first night. No one else is given a chance, nomatter what. The anointed winner gets a tongue bath every week and the viewers are darned near instructed to vote for them.

The perfect example of that was Bindi Irwin. She could dance & was likable, but I couldn't stand her by the end because of the way the show presented her as the winner from the first night. Plus, the total emotional manipulation of who she was, was over the top. I didn't even watch the end that year, because I just couldn't take it anymore.

That IS aggrevating! I don't like it either when the winner is almost virtually picked the first night - Bindi, Jennifer Gray, Kristi the the Olympic skater, Nicole of the Pussycat Girls - and fawned and drooled over incessantly either.
    I do want to point out that some times it is as much about who has that willingness to get in there and learn - of course coupled with a great attitude and some ability - that carries them along as well as who is the better dancer.

This is a TV entertainment show. This is not a dance competition. In strictly a dance competition, the best dancer should win even if the person has zero charisma and nobody likes the individual personally at all.

I am going to point something else out I have noticed, though. In the last few seasons, the judges have gotten MUCH better about letting the win happen naturally the way it should. They score the finalists fairly, and then they let the decision fall to the voters.
    For a very long time,I noticed they tried as hard as they could to manipulate the win with their comments and their scores beginning around the F5 or so, and it really got bad when it got down to the F3. It was as if they were determined to do what they could to select their choice for the winner - to heck with us, the viewers!

They, of course, were heavily criticized by the fans on sites like this for doing so, and in time they began to graciously back off.

This line-up is looking pretty good to me. Have we ever had this many promising dancers at the beginning? That makes it pleasurable to watch. Of course, I do enjoy watching those who can't dance learn to dance.

I don't have but two or three shows, folks! I am getting excited!!
    The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.

~ Author unknown

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

The gymnast is ahead in various polls to win..right out the gate. Just like last season. I hope they are wrong...
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

The trouble with letting the fans so more of the deciding, and it being less of a strictly judged competition, is that I usually don't agree with who the fans pick to win.
    DancingDad likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    The trouble with letting the fans so more of the deciding, and it being less of a strictly judged competition, is that I usually don't agree with who the fans pick to win.

Fact!
    -Andy Rooney-

I don't think Simone Biles is going to go as far as people think. This season, my money's on Heather Morris () and then Nancy Kerrigan. Simone is a great athlete, but she's not as cute as Laurie Hernandez and maybe viewers don't want a repeat of last season. She's going to have to bring something new to the table beyond what Laurie did. The fact that she's VERY short isn't an advantage. That three inch difference between her and Laurie is a big one. It's hard to create those nice lines required in ballroom when your lines aren't very long! All that being said, I was shocked (and disappointed) with Shawn Johnson's win (IMO, Giles was robbed), so maybe Simone will prove me wrong.

I'm okay with Maks getting a ringer. How many times has Derek gotten one? Ultimately, Maks is good for ratings and they probably needed to guarantee him a great partner to get him to come back. No way he'd come back only to get eliminated within the first week or two. I'm thrilled that Artem got a great partner, although I'm sad for Keo, who's still apparently paying his dues. I mean, Charo is in incredible shape for her age, but she's not making it to the finals.
    JORY'sMom likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't think Simone Biles is going to go as far as people think. This season, my money's on Heather Morris () and then Nancy Kerrigan. Simone is a great athlete, but she's not as cute as Laurie Hernandez and maybe viewers don't want a repeat of last season. She's going to have to bring something new to the table beyond what Laurie did. The fact that she's VERY short isn't an advantage. That three inch difference between her and Laurie is a big one. It's hard to create those nice lines required in ballroom when your lines aren't very long! All that being said, I was shocked (and disappointed) with Shawn Johnson's win (IMO, Giles was robbed), so maybe Simone will prove me wrong.

I'm okay with Maks getting a ringer. How many times has Derek gotten one? Ultimately, Maks is good for ratings and they probably needed to guarantee him a great partner to get him to come back. No way he'd come back only to get eliminated within the first week or two. I'm thrilled that Artem got a great partner, although I'm sad for Keo, who's still apparently paying his dues. I mean, Charo is in incredible shape for her age, but she's not making it to the finals.
    Maks has a ringer to win..that's fine, but very obvious, Bindi never did dance before..
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

I am going to agree that Simone may not be a runaway. There are two or three things I am thinking here. One, unlike Shawn who appeared immediately on DWTS after her summer appearance in front of 200 million people watching the Olympics, Simone took some time off to do other things, and instead Laurie became "America's little darling" on the show. Also, while both girls most likely are equally able to adapt from floor routines to DWTS routines, Laurie has a vivaciousness that Simone doesn't have. That vivaciousness is the same factor that Bindi had.
    There also appears to be considerable potential in this list this season - more than last season. That, too, is going to make it more difficult for one person to run away with the win right off the bat.

At least, that is the way it looks to me right now.
    The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.

~ Author unknown

I agree Simone is definitely not a shoe in, the front runner sure. Simone has a very different personality then Laurie. I also think she will use more of her gymnastic skills then Laurie did as well. I have been watching Val with Normani on their instagram she's pretty awesome add that to the simply fact that she is going to have all those young Harmonizers behind her voting and I won't be counting them out of the finals at all. Maks has the ringer for sure but it's also a popularity contest and as we have seen if people don't like you or you family, you will be let go no matter how much of a great dancer you are or who you are paired with (ala Brandy, Tamar etc.) And at the end of the day I never count out any of my Female Pro's to whip the boys into shape.

This is a good article on the upcoming season:

'Dancing With The Stars

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678