+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: 11/22 DWTS 23 Season Finale Show *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 11/22 DWTS 23 Season Finale Show *West Coast Spoilers*

Congrats Laurie & Val!
    renzii likes this.

Well, it turns out that I DID care who won; I was disappointed when they said Laurie/Val. Not that I didn't like them and I didn't realize I even cared until they announced it. (After the longest damn pause in television history! )
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Yay I'm so glad Laurie & Val won! Congratulations and well deserved!
    But come on, I think we all knew from day 1 that she was the frontrunner to win

But I'm very proud of James and Calvin too, for 2 guys who had no prior dance experience, they really surprised us, congrats to both of them for coming this far

Quote Originally Posted by MReid View Post
    Hahaha Maks your brother Val has more wins than you do
    LOL that's true, Maks taught Val how to dance and Val said that 90% of his dance education came from his brother, but I have always believed that Val was the better dancer and choreographer, and I still believe that. No offense Maks, I love you but I think Val is the superior dancer and choreographer! The student has surpassed the teacher
    zookeepertx likes this.
    People change, love hurts, friends leave, things go wrong, but just remember that life goes on.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zookeepertx View Post
    Well, it turns out that I DID care who won; I was disappointed when they said Laurie/Val. Not that I didn't like them and I didn't realize I even cared until they announced it. (After the longest damn pause in television history! )
    I wanted James to win, and for Sharna to win as well. As soon as they said Laurie was on tour I knew,..
    Congrats Laurie/Val

James, made this one of the best seasons for me, I liked Calvin a lot, but I loved him and his personality. I like grown ups. . I think James should keep dancing and dancing, because he has such a talent , take a bow James..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

11/22 DWTS 23 Season Finale Show *West Coast Spoilers*

LOL that's true, Maks taught Val how to dance and Val said that 90% of his dance education came from his brother, but I have always believed that Val was the better dancer and choreographer, and I still believe that. No offense Maks, I love you but I think Val is the superior dancer and choreographer! The student has surpassed the teacher
    I agree with all of this. Was just thinking earlier tonight that although I still love Maks, I've come to just overall enjoy Val so much more.

I think tonight went just as it should have. A great, great season and a well deserved win for Laurie and Val.
    Last edited by JORY'sMom; 11-22-2016 at 11:45 PM.
    MountainBreeze likes this.

I think Val is the better choreographer, but Maks cuts the finer figure and dances with panache. Val was emotional this seasonal. I am not at all sure what that was about, but whether it was impending fatherhood who knows, however Maks's attitude was most definitely more mellow this season.

I also think it is difficult to beat a popular sweetheart gymnast. If you recall, during the first season Shawn beat the suave Giles who danced very well and the quite lovely Melissa Rylant who came back during the All Star season to beat them both. In part, I think the fans get to know the gymnasts and sometimes their families too from so much coverage during the Olympics. It's not that they they are great dancers because what they do is a hybrid kind of dance. However, they are perky, they exude confidence, and they are already winners.....and America loves a winner!

Laurie's biggest advantage was not her dance background - such as it was. It was not her confidence nor her conditioning nor her perky personality. We knew Laurie. That gave her a head start.

Congrats to Calvin and James as well. They were fantastic, and I have thoroughly enjoyed this season.
    The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.

~ Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers View Post
    I think Val is the better choreographer, but Maks cuts the finer figure and dances with panache. Val was emotional this seasonal. I am not at all sure what that was about, but whether it was impending fatherhood who knows, however Maks's attitude was most definitely more mellow this season.

I also think it is difficult to beat a popular sweetheart gymnast. If you recall, during the first season Shawn beat the suave Giles who danced very well and the quite lovely Melissa Rylant who came back during the All Star season to beat them both. In part, I think the fans get to know the gymnasts and sometimes their families too from so much coverage during the Olympics. It's not that they they are great dancers because what they do is a hybrid kind of dance. However, they are perky, they exude confidence, and they are already winners.....and America loves a winner!

Laurie's biggest advantage was not her dance background - such as it was. It was not her confidence nor her conditioning nor her perky personality. We knew Laurie. That gave her a head start.

Congrats to Calvin and James as well. They were fantastic, and I have thoroughly enjoyed this season.
    I disagree, I think Val dances with a lot of panache, and for certain dances he dances with a lot of grace in his movements, and for other more aggressive styles he dances with a lot of power, his body and movements adapts seamlessly to the different styles of dances, I find Val's dancing more dynamic and powerful. And Val commands attention when he dances, whenever he dances my attention is drawn to him. But I don't feel the same way when Maks dances, Maks is a good dancer, but he just doesn't have that commanding presence to me in his dancing unlike Val does. For example, whenever the 2 brothers dance together, my eyes and attention are always drawn to Val's dancing, I don't pay attention to Maks at all, he just does not draw my attention with his dancing the way that Val's dancing does. But that's just my opinion.

And yes Val seems to be more emotional this season...although we have only ever seen him cry during 1 week only (the Halloween week), but I think it was just all the stress and pressures of having such a talented and strong partner like Laurie getting to him. It's a huge amount of pressure and stress when you have such a fantastic and skilled partner like Laurie, I think Laurie might be the most skilled or has the most potential partner that Val has ever had on DWTS, so maybe that's another reason why he felt particularly stressed & pressured this season.

And I also disagree with you to some extent with your last statement. I think media coverage doesn't necessarily pose that big of an advantage, I think all of Laurie's exposure from her Olympics fame definitely gave her an initial head start from everyone else, but that can only get you so far. As the competition progresses, many people tend to start looking for the talent and skills and who has the potential, or who has the more likable personality, towards the end it doesn't really matter if you're popular to begin with or not. If you are likable or good at dancing, then people will start to take notice of you and support you.
    Look at James, he is an IndyCar driver, I don't know how big IndyCar is, but surely Laurie would still be much more well-known than he was, but since coming onto the show, he has gained a lot of popularity and support because he is actually a surprisingly good dancer and has a very likable personality, and he ended up as the runner-up this season. There's also Candice from S18, she's an actress but a very small one, very few people knew her before coming onto DWTS, and even though she wasn't a good dancer, but she still had a very likable personality, and many people responded to that and related to her and she ended up in 3rd place in S18.

So while I do agree with you to some extent that the tremendous amount of media coverage surrounding Laurie definitely gave her a head start, BUT that could only get you so far. The momentum of her popularity continued mostly because of her talent and her likable personality, many people loved her because she was so talented and had a lot of potential, and also because she's so hardworking and positive and likable.

Also I just want to add more to my previous post about Laurie...

I'm sure there are also some people out there who did not even know who Laurie was in the beginning, but they gradually fell in love with her when she came onto the show because of her talent and personality. I am an example of those people, since I don't live in America, I didn't even know who Laurie was in the beginning, in fact, I didn't even know 99% of the "celeb" contestants this season, the only one I knew about beforehand was Maureen McCormick because of the Brady Bunch TV show (I used to watch it when I was a kid). Anyway, my point is that I had no idea who Laurie was in the beginning, but I soon came to love her on DWTS because of her talent and potential and because of her positive spirit, she's such a likable and positive and happy joyful girl, but also seems very hardworking, she brings a smile to my face, her positiveness and her joyful energy and spirit is so infectious, and her partnership with Val is so great, this is why I have been rooting for Laurie & Val all along! So I don't even care that she's a gold medal Olympian, I love Laurie purely because of her dancing and her positive and likable personality. If she were not an olympic gymnast and was just some random internet "celebrity" on social media, I would still love her and support her on the show. So her Olympic background doesn't matter to me at all.

I'm sure there are also other people out there like me who came to love and support Laurie only when she came onto the show, maybe even some people who live in America who don't follow the Olympics might not have known who she was but came to love and support her on DWTS.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 11-23-2016 at 02:44 AM.
    People change, love hurts, friends leave, things go wrong, but just remember that life goes on.

OH to be an older version of Laurie Dancing in between Val & Maks. I enjoyed this season I was happy with all 3 finalist. I wanted Laurie to win but truthfully for different reason s would have been happy no matter who won.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazeeKy07 View Post
    That Macy's dance was pretty cool!!
    Who was the girl? Did they say?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I have to say, this season has been really great I thoroughly enjoyed it and I couldn't be more happier with the 4 finalists this season, I liked all of them, but I'm sure everyone here knows by now that my favorite couple is still Laurie & Val I really hoped they would win and I'm so glad they did...but honestly, I wouldn't be disappointed either if James had won instead, the final 4 were all deserving

I have been watching the US version of DWTS since S17 (although I missed last season) and I have to say, this season has been one of my favorite seasons I've ever watched for the US version, I skipped last season and came back for S23 and I'm glad I did, what a fantastic season this was

Btw I found this voting results tally for the final 3 posted on Twitter and decided to share it here in case anyone here is interested
    So according to the total votes counted for the winner, a whopping 52% of all the votes were for Laurie, while James had 36% of the votes, and Calvin had 12%.

I don't know just how accurate these numbers are, it's just something I found on twitter.

credits:
    https://twitter.com/jkbeck20/status/801290231253266432

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast