Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Patti LaBelle & Artem Chigvintsev - Season 20

Patti LaBelle & Artem Chigvintsev - Season 20

Patti LaBelle
    Season 20

Paired with Artem Chigvintsev

Follow Patti on Twitter
    Follow Artem on Twitter

Beautiful simply does not describe the incomparable force known to the world as Patti LaBelle. Through the years, the songbird’s name has become synonymous with grace, style, and class. Her effortless ability to belt out classic rhythm and blues renditions, pop standards and spiritual sonnets has created the unique platform of versatility that the artist is known and revered for. For more than 50 years, Patti’s strong and soulful voice has left an indelible mark all over the world. This Philadelphia born entertainer captured her first hit in 1962, as lead singer of The BlueBelles and went on to receive worldwide acclaim with the trailblazing and genre bending trio, Labelle. A solo artist since the 1970s, Patti has created timeless songs that have helped cement her place as a music icon and garnered her numerous honors, including GRAMMY Awards, American Music Awards, NAACP Image Awards, New York Times bestsellers and more.

From music to film to books, Patti has shown her diversity and broken down barriers as an entertainer and businesswoman, most recently launching a line of products, Patti’s Good Life. The same motivation that helped Patricia Louise Holte blossom from choir member to lead vocalist to solo artist is the same energy that keeps her fire burning at seventy years young. In addition to being a world-class artist and mother of five, Patti is just as well known for her philanthropy and willingness to share her blessings and gifts with the world.

Artem Chigvintsev

Originally from Russia, dancing has taken Artem all over the world. In 2010, Artem made his professional dancing debut on the original UK version of DWTS, Strictly Come Dancing. Paired with Kara Tointon, they went on to win the coveted Mirrorball Trophy, making Artem one of the first professionals to win the series as a first-time Pro.

Additionally, Artem was one of the choreographers on the British second series of So You Think You Can Dance and a finalist on SY TCD in the US. In 2014, Artem joined the troupe on Dancing with the Stars and last season, partnered with Lea Thompson.

Dancing with the Stars Contestants, Pro Dancers, & host Season 20 - ABC.com

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: Patti LaBelle & Artem Chigvintsev - Season 20

I simply adore Patti, but sadly do not see her going all that far.. and dont think Artem is the right partner for her ;/
    awesomekina23 likes this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I agree with you, FireWoman. Artem is too intense and I don't see this partnership working. Hopefully he'll surprise us though. If he goes the route Peta did with Tommy and has fun with it, they'll do well.

Derek is the best!!! Fanny Mare's Avatar

I am not a fan of Artem, something about him turns me off. I don't know if he has many fans
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

MPO is that Artem is TOO intense and TOO focused on winning.

And I think that just might be a by-product of his Russian heritage. I remember in one of his pro intro clips from last season, he said something to the effect of: "I'm Russian; I'm not afraid to crack that whip!"

Instead of being able to lean in to whoever his partner is and help her get to whatever her best potential is as a dancer, he's blinded by trying to mold whoever she is into HIS version of what a winning dancer is and should be.

He's not remembering that this is DWTS. NOT some professional, international ballroom competition. He won SCD. He tasted that MBT wine once, and wants to taste it again, on DWTS.

Bluntly, I don't think he's foolish enough to try to steamroll Patti with that mindset, though (like he did Lea). Patti will have NO problem wiping the floor with him, then stepping over him on her way out the door, if he's crazy enough to try to go there with her.

The first show hasn't even aired yet, and I suspect that Artem has already been mightily tamed. I think it's entirely possible that he may not be around that long, this go-round, given just who Patti is, how she'll handle him if he gets out of line, and her age group.

Maybe that's WHY he was paired with her; to humble him and take him down a peg or two?
    Last edited by ness; 03-10-2015 at 05:18 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

He needs to be humbled and taken down a peg or two, but Derek and Mark don't???
    zookeepertx likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Artem is a newbie, so its time to do that. I will add Val to that list..
    -Andy Rooney-

Well, we know as a singer she is in a league of her own. As far as her dancing, we shall see. Patti is very popular and well-liked. Regardless of how she does, I think she will last quite a while. Huge fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Mark, CERTAINLY.

Honestly, Flo, I think THIS is why he's gotten two --- COUNT 'em, TWO! --- Romper Room escapees in a ROW!

Derek?

Believe it or not, I think he's actually gotten MORE humble as the years've gone on. Does he get the majority of the straight-up ringers? Yep. Does that piss me off? Yep. Does he more often than not get away with murder in routines that other pros would get KILLED for, by the judges? Yep. Does that piss me off? Yep.

I can even remember him saying that he was "deadly" on the dance floor, when he first came on, and thinking: "That 'lil arrogant, snot-nosed SOB!"

And he was able to back that boast up.

Love him or hate him, he's the best on DWTS, in terms of dancing and choreo, I think.

He's also become the consistent best at taking a wiiiiiide spectrum of persons, focusing in on them, individually, and making them shine. He's got it right because he FINALLY came to understand that it's NOT about him; it's about whoever his PARTNER is and his being able to lift HER to whatever her highest dancing good is, or will be.

Artem hasn't learned that, yet, and he'll get in his own way until he does.

Derek has also evolved enough to be able to bald-faced say, in front of God and everybody, when he CAN'T do something dance-related.

The favoritism shown him drives me NUTS. But the man is just that good, and there's a LOT there to like and respect about him and how he has grown as a person.

And frankly, HE'S not responsible for the favoritism that comes his way; THAT'S on TPTB. And let me be frank, again: We ALL know that that favoritism AIN'T gonna change. If it was GOING to, then I don't think they'd've let him back on this season, after allowing him to skip a season to work with the Rockettes in New York.

I'd be VERY amazed if they did that for one of the OTHER pros.

Oh, well . . .

He's back.

And no matter HOW irritated I get, I KNOW I'll enjoy seeing whatever it is he puts out on the floor.

And yep, I'm just WAITING for him to someday be assigned a 90-year-old grandma who's got a bad back, arthritic knees and cataracts in both eyes.

Don't think that's ever gonna happen.

But, I can hope.

In the meantime, I'll be chomping popcorn and knocking back my lemonade while I watch, as usual.
    Last edited by ness; 03-10-2015 at 08:22 PM.
    DancingDad and zookeepertx like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

In the meantime, I'll be chomping popcorn and knocking back my lemonade while I watch, as usual.
    I prefer wine..
    ness likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast