+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 10/27 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/27 Results Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3741170;
    If I were voting, I'd like to think I'd always vote for the pair who executed the best dance that evening. Thus far this season, that would be four different couples. Opinions, of course, vary.
    If life were fair and just, yes this would happen; on the other hand, who ever said life was even fair let alone just?

Much to my chagrin, I learned last season that there were those who were not going to vote for the best dance of the week because of personal biases and were going to vote for a lesser dance for the same reason.

This season the rationals tend to be much more sane, but still folks reserve the right to vote their preferences - rightly so as this is not an official competition. We the viewers don't actually KNOW the rules of ballroom competition. We don't know exactly what the couples should be held accountable for or on what they should be deducted. Unless the performance appears to be lacking in someway, is visually mediocre, or the couple just blows it in some bigtime way (like when Louie dropped Chelsie or unfortunately Joanna's heel caught in Maks' trouser' cuff), we can only go by what general impression was made on us by the couple dancing. Was it a poor performance? A fair one? A good one? A great or fantastic one?
    For us, it is simply subjective...... When you get into this realm, it is of course a matter of taste and is subject to all matter of opinions.

The best I can hope for is that folks would try to be as impartial, objective, and discriminating as possible. Since the dancers are NOT supposed to be professional dancers ( as in dance is/has been their first or main line of career), I would hope that the viewers would take the contestants' personal characteristics - when applicable - into consideration as well.
    The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.

~ Author unknown

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3741170;
    If I were voting, I'd like to think I'd always vote for the pair who executed the best dance that evening. Thus far this season, that would be four different couples. Opinions, of course, vary.
    I would be interested to hear who the four couples are, as well as how you rank everyone at this point.
    You realize, Peacheater, that many people are going to vote based upon a different criteria than you employ. It does not mean that your opinion is not valued and thoughtfully considered, however.
    So, please, don't hold back.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3741133;
    Edyta really should think about what she twitters. To comment on something she didn't see is uncool, especially the day before the competition.
    The way I read it, it sounded like she might have been asked. I read somewhere that Dmitry wasn't all that confident of the paso, so maybe Edyta talked to Team Paso and got that impression. Out of all the dancers, I find Edyta to be one of the most caring, sweetest, humble, and real, so I doubt she meant any harm by it.

Much to my chagrin, I learned last season that there were those who were not going to vote for the best dance of the week because of personal biases and were going to vote for a lesser dance for the same reason.

This season the rationals tend to be much more sane, but still folks reserve the right to vote their preferences - rightly so as this is not an official competition. We the viewers don't actually KNOW the rules of ballroom competition. We don't know exactly what the couples should be held accountable for or on what they should be deducted. Unless the performance appears to be lacking in someway, is visually mediocre, or the couple just blows it in some bigtime way (like when Louie dropped Chelsie or unfortunately Joanna's heel caught in Maks' trouser' cuff), we can only go by what general impression was made on us by the couple dancing. Was it a poor performance? A fair one? A good one? A great or fantastic one?
    For us, it is simply subjective...... When you get into this realm, it is of course a matter of taste and is subject to all matter of opinions.

You're right, probably a good 90%+ of viewers likely don't know the first thing about ballroom, but like any show where the viewers can vote, popularity and favoritism comes into play. I think the judges shouldn't be bias, but I don't care if the viewers are And who the best dancer is of course is a matter of opinion. I like to be entertained. I don't consider Joanna a great dancer, and she bores me on top of not liking her from before. Mya's too good to even enjoy because she doesn't even have to try. I can put pre-show biases aside and if I end up liking someone enough I'll vote for them. I'm giving my votes to Kelly and Donny. She may not be the best dancer, but I enjoy watching her and Louis and she reminds me of all of those at home who'd love to dance but can't and if we tried probably would like somewhat like her Anyway, I love her attitude. She doesn't have the confidence when she should, and much like Louie, she's determined and wants to do well. Besides, I still think Michael Irvin is a worse dancer than her. Donny's just Donny.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-02-2009 at 01:52 PM.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3741333;
    The way I read it, it sounded like she might have been asked. I read somewhere that Dmitry wasn't all that confident of the paso, so maybe Edyta talked to Team Paso and got that impression. Out of all the dancers, I find Edyta to be one of the most caring, sweetest, humble, and real, so I doubt she meant any harm by it.

As for voting, I'm giving my votes to Kelly and Donny. She may not be the best dancer, but I enjoy watching her and Louis and she reminds me of all of those at home who'd love to dance but can't and if we tried probably would like somewhat like her Anyway, I love her attitude. She doesn't have the confidence when she should, and much like Louie, she's determined and wants to do well. Donny's just Donny.
    ABM doesn't stand for Anti-Ballistic Missile anymore.
    It means anybody but Mya.
    ABA doesn't mean the American Bar Association to me.
    It means anybody but Aaron.
    I'm a member of the ABA who strongly favors ABM's.

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3741338;
    ABM doesn't stand for Anti-Ballistic Missile anymore.
    It means anybody but Mya.
    ABA doesn't mean the American Bar Association to me.
    It means anybody but Aaron.
    I'm a member of the ABA who strongly favors ABM's.
    Even in a dull season I can get a laugh. Sign me up for both. At this point, I'm rooting for Kelly, Donny, Mark/Michael (those 2 by default). If the finale consists solely of a final 3 of the other 3 I didn't mention? I guess I'll have 4 hours free that week. This would probably be the first finale I'd ever miss, because I honestly could care less to see too good for the amateurs Mya walk away with the win (and I'm sure they'd hype it up as a surprise), weasel boy that I want to pity but just can't just because it's Aaron, and seeing another one of the trio win again for the 6th season. And a potty mouth model with ugly inner beauty.

But I'm betting that Donny wins because they'll want a male winner after not having one since season 5, and it's Donny. At this point in a season so far in the gutter, he might be the only good thing coming out of it. Or they let Donny lose in a final 2 showdown and hype it up as a sure thing and then act as though it's a shocker when someone else wins.

And dang I miss Gilles I forgot he was on Brothers & Sisters, but last night I had my TV on in the background turned to ABC. As I was walking through the living room, took a quick peek-and then walked backward back into the room and did a double take. Can we just have the camera on him for the whole 2 hours? ABC loves to pimp it's shows up, why can't they have him front and center every week? There will never be another...
    Last edited by karalott; 11-02-2009 at 02:21 PM.

FORT Fanatic

The way I see it, I don't know Edyta from Adam, but like most Russians on this show she has little tact when asked a question that requires it. Further if she said that about Team Tango I wonder if anybody's shorts would be in a knot, but because it's the team of 4 that nobody on this particular board cares for it's okay to take a pot shot. I still say it's unprofessional the day before the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3741350;
    The way I see it, I don't know Edyta from Adam, but like most Russians on this show she has little tact when asked a question that requires it. Further if she said that about Team Tango I wonder if anybody's shorts would be in a knot, but because it's the team of 4 that nobody on this particular board cares for it's okay to take a pot shot. I still say it's unprofessional the day before the competition.
    Since I'm for Team Tango, I wouldn't get my shorts in a knot. It just sounded like someone asked her how they were doing and she said she heard they weren't doing good. In all likelyhood she probably talked to someone with Team Paso and they told her that themselves Edyta isn't the kind to be hurtful, so for her to say that I think she'd have to have something to back it up. I don't think it'll hurt Team Paso's confidence any.

Team Tango is dancing to 'You Give Love A Bad Name' which is as bad a song choice as Team Paso got. Donny may have been kidding when he said they were going to go shirtless; knowing Derek I'd believe it but if they do, then that might be a strike against them (sorry Derek, you're no Maks, Tony, or Gilles).

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3741350;
    Frankly I don't think that any of the dancers or stars should be twittering about the competition, period. I don't want to know who was late to rehearsal, whose dance is going to blow me away, or who's struggling. I don't even want to know about injuries or illnesses unless it's so bad that a star sits out or a dancer is replaced, in which case I'll find out about it when I watch the show. Which I guess is why I don't follow twitter.

Peacheater: In a perfect world, everyone would probably vote the way you do. But if I voted for the dancer who was the best in any given week, I'd almost certainly be wrong. I simply don't know enough about dancing to judge that. And, for good or bad, a lot of viewers are like me. Truthfully, I don't usually vote. But if I did I'd vote for Donny because he makes he smile. Like Wind dancer, I like stars who work hard and seem like they are enjoying themselves. I'd also like them to look like they have SOME talent for dancing. I rarely vote for anyone because of looks, but I might vote because I have a soft spot for a star that I recognize from past work.

Which means the best dancer won't always win. But usually the top 3 or 4 dancers all dance well, and that's good enough for me. If we want a competition to choose simply the best dancer, we'd be much better off just having professionals choose who moves on.

ETA: I second the request for Peacheater's list of the couples she would have voted for thus far. That would be really interesting to see.

FORT Fanatic

Well it's not the CNN breaking news Bulletin Osmond would get but here's a blurb in People about Lacey's not dancing tonight
    Flu Bug Strikes Dancing with the Stars Again - PEOPLE TV Watch

FORT Fanatic

Like I said, I don't know Edyta from a hole in the ground, so I don't know what her possible motives are for posting something negative about her collegues and celebrities on the show.

+ Reply to Thread